“Old, tired, peeling wallpaper and over 1/2 hour to check 6 couples in!!!”

Radisson Hotel JFK Airport
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Pelham, New Hampshire
“Old, tired, peeling wallpaper and over 1/2 hour to check 6 couples in!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It's my understanding that this hotel as of October 9/10, 2013 is now a Radisson. I hope that they close it for renovations and training as on the early morning 12:15 am, October 8, it took over 1/2 hour for two Front Desk people to check in 6 couples three of whom had to return to the Front Desk because their keys didn't work!

While the bed was comfortable, the room itself was dark with peeling wallpaper that didn't have a very fresh smell. The bathroom was very small.

The Hilton Garden Inn "comped" us at this hotel because they gave away our Guaranteed Late Arrival room that was part of a 14 Day Park and Fly package.

A stay at the Marriott would be a better choice all around. They don't have the Park and Fly package though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis Z, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay. We appreciate your feedback about the overall experience with the hotel. Your review provides feed back that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality we stand for should you return to the area in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

If your disabled warning! Asked to use the shuttle to airport. Was told we can walk-up with assistance. That does not work in our situation. Did not offer any other means. Had to hire own car service to airport! The food quality is worst then fast food!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry to read of your disappointing stay with us. Please be assured your feedback has been shared with our Transportation & F&B management team so we may look into correcting our shortcomings for our future guests.
We hope to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves to you in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Highland Mills, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Your new Radisson Hotel J.F.K. Airport My stay on 10/ 11/2013 was a disaster, I have so many complaints I will just list them
1 The shuttle was running only once an hour and the Driver did not make any effort at all to inform the people, that the Radisson hotel shuttle was also the Double Tree shuttle I waited close to 1 .5 hours before the Hilton driver told me that Double Tree was now the Radisson a total of 2 hours waiting
2. The Driver made no effort to assist with loading the bags. He also allowed the shuttle to be fully loaded including people standing. Very unsafe, but do not blame him, blame the management because since the people were waiting for over an hour I do not think any would have left the shuttle
3. It took close to 2 hours to check into the hotel
4. Had dinner in the lounge and someone stole by sweater jacked it was not worth much
5. Breakfast the next morning was a joke 17 dollars and79 cent for a buffet without an omelet station
6 The employees that came into contact with guest only had a small knowledge of English and showed a preference in dealing with Spanish speaking guests. I asked the sitting hostess if I could get 2 fried eggs and was told in broken English I could not. Halfway thru my meal two gentlemen conversed with the same hostess in Spanish and 6 min later she delivered two plates with fried eggs
7. To add insult to injury. I received an Email on 10/14/2013 from Radisson informing me that has 10. /10 /2013 that they were taking over Double Tree Hotel

Room Tip: only tip is do not go
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kbd196385
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry you were unhappy with the hotel service. The issues you bring up are disturbing our Director of Transportation and F&B is looking into the same.
In an on going effort to improve guest stays, with all your feed back we have our new team train with our great customer service experts to address people skills.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was a terrible hotel experience. We arrive at the hotel at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night because we had an early flight in the morning to fly out from JFK. We come into the now Radisson (was a doubletree the night before) with a lobby full of people that had been waiting over two hours. We heard several people asking to speak with a manager and no one ever came and greeted any of the guests in the lobby. We proceeded to wait in the lobby as they turned person after person away. Some people got room keys and most keys did not work, but the ones that worked had other guests in them!! This was a completely unprofessional staff who could not handle the situation properly.

When we finally got up to the counter after waiting in line for three hours, we were told that our reservation was not showing up in the computer system, even though we had the hotel confirmation booked a month prior. They said they had no rooms and basically we were out of luck and would have to get a refund through expedia. Come to find out they had overbooked the rooms by 57 rooms and would not tell anyone waiting in the lobby what was going on. All someone had to do was be professional and come speak with people, take their names and then see if their reservation was showing up, .. What is so hard about that??? Instead, they kept everyone waiting in the lobby for hours. We spoke with the doorman and he said it has been like this for awhile.
Because of the hour, we were not able to find a room and were forced to go to the airport at one a.m. and sleep I the lobby until security opened. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your comments regarding your stay. Your comments though disturbing will be addressed with all sincerity. We do see a high volume of traffic being a busy airport hotel but that does not take away from us making sure guests like.

We do apologize for the delay , we will correct the issues you bring up and look forward to serving you in the near future.

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Absolutely the worst experience I have EVER had! This was a last minute birthday trip that my husband had planned for me and we decided to stay at the Radisson JFK. We booked the hotel through the Radisson.com website the morning of travel. So far, so good. Drove eight hours to the city and arrived around 10:30 pm. Upon arriving, we found the lobby overflowing with people lying on the floor and waiting in line. Not really sure what was going on, we waited in line for over 90 minutes to finally reach the registration counter. Apparently the hotel just changed names from Double Tree to Radisson within the past couple of days and the computer system "didn't transfer over." With that being said, they more than overbooked this hotel. Everyone who made it to the front counter was told, "Oh, sorry, we don't see your reservation." If the customer booked through a third party (Expedia, hotels.com, etc.) they were forced to call the third party themselves. When I finally arrived to the counter, I gave them my reservation number and they said, nope, sorry, not in the system, no room. When asked how I booked it, I initially said expedia, since I began looking for hotels through there. I was told to call Expedia. Then I remembered that we actually booked it through the Radisson website since it was cheaper. Now all of a sudden, they were willing to "look into it." After taking my credit card and license, they were gone for another 30 minutes. In the meantime, I called the direct reservation line who did in fact confirm that I had a reservation for two nights. After going back and forth, they were finally able to find a room for us around 2:30 in the morning. (There was still a line of people in the lobby).
We arrived to our room, which was a nice size, clean, comfortable bed.
Tried to call for a wake up call and the phone in the room did not work.

Saturday evening when we arrived back to our hotel from being in the city all day, we were again greeted by a line of people waiting in the lobby and a flood of people lying/sleeping on the lobby floor.
Fast forward to Sunday morning when we tried to check out. I checked out early (6:00 am) and they were still having issues with overbooking. I was told I was all set, however when I asked for an invoice, they were "unable to print at this time." I asked for a total amount and was told it was more than double what my reservation was for. (Reservation was for $320, total amount charged was $688.) When asked why, I was told the price of the room was $270 something a night. I tried to fight this as I had a copy of my reservation in my hand with the price quoted. They were not willing to take any charged off as they "were unable to do so" I now have an open case with my credit card company to dispute these fraudulent charges.

Unless you are willing to be aggravated and annoyed, don't bother staying here. Spend a little extra and stay at a reputable hotel that doesn't change names every few years.
The service was terrible, the staff were less than accommodating, and in fact very rude. Also, be sure to check your invoice before you leave as you will probably have unauthorized charges or an increase in the price of the room than what you thought you were paying.
I will never stay here again, and will probably never stay at another Radisson hotel again thanks to the service I received here. Absolutely awful!

1 Thank Joann S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are extremely sorry and were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Yes we did face teething problems at the Transition from Double Tree to our new brand "Radisson"
Rest assured the issues you have raised about the room bookings have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Kindly let our accounting know for the additional charges being levied on your Credit Card so they can rectify.
We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Dallas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The hotel has a good size gym and has a lot of equipment but the fitness equipment lacks maintenance. The fitness balls weren't inflated, and it's not the first time I've had this issue with this hotel. With the number of other hotels in the area, I'll be staying elsewhere until they can improve the upkeep of the gym facility.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our apologies for the fitness center deficiencies you encountered during your recent stay. Our engineering team has been dispatched to fix the issues described and we thank you for bringing them to our attention.
We hope to have an opportunity to redeem ourselves to you.