“Unclean & overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Boca Raton
“Unclean & overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I realize that in NY you are going to pay about 100% more than you should, but for $140 I expected it to at least be clean. The hallways did not appear to have been vacuumed in a week, the tub was black, and the curtains were broken.

We booked through Priceline, where you can't specify smoking or nonsmoking, and got stuck with a smoking room (they were full). It was really gross, and did not merely have a hint of smoke but reeked. They said they would send up a spray but never did, even after we asked a second time. The comforters were stained and had cigarette burns in them.

If you are like us, and use Priceline and end up with this hotel, I would call or email IMMEDIATELY to make sure you get a nonsmoking room.

Really the only plus to this hotel was the free breakfast, shuttle and wifi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I totally agree that the front desk seemed like they have better stuff to do than actually helpin theyre customers.
If you forget things in ure Hotel room you have no Chance to get them back even you callin right after youre check out because apparently this hotel is not keepin personal things because nobody comes back to pick them up. The question is now why do they have a lost and found if they dont keep anything anyways.
The hallway floor is dirty also ! i would def. not do it again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DHARMENDRAPATEL, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Jamaica JFK Airport NYC, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for letting us know your issues and concerns. Please email me at dkayesha@gmail.com and please let me know what did you leave behind. Please include the name and the room number so it will experdite the process of finding easy and quickly.

If the guest forgets their belongings and if found we keep it for 90 days. Guest have to send us the prepaid envelope so that we can send them to the correct person and the correct address.

Awaiting for your email and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I was in NYC for a business trip. I had to make my way to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I was waiting for the shuttle to Federal Circle, but it wasn't scheduled for a while. So, the shuttle driver gave me the directions using the MTA bus that stopped right outside of the hotel. I had a metro pass from a past visit, but when I got on board, I realized that it had expired. I jumped off at the next stop and returned to the hotel. The driver let me know that I could use cash to get on the bus. I pulled out two $1 bills and a quarter and headed to the bus stop. Apparently, I had to have quarters, so the shuttle driver hunted me down and exchanged my bills for change. For the remainder of my time at the hotel, I was able to get around using the bus and trains.

Thanks again for saving me money and for making me much more self reliant.
3burk3

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth B
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed for two nights and were pleasantly surprised from this airport hotel. Apart from the occasional road and hallway noise we slept well on our very large bed. Great waffles in the morning, and the man who picked us up from the airport and the reception staff were all very happy and helpful. Thanks everyone

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jimkiwi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

This facility probably survives on first time customers only, because no one would ever want to repeat this experience. The front desk seemed bothered that I was interrupting her personal cellphone conversation. The carpet in the hallway was filthy. Nail Clippings on the floor in the room. No alarm clock.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Terry W
DHARMENDRAPATEL, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Jamaica JFK Airport NYC, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write on the TRIPADVISOR. First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our hotel.

As a consumer, I know how I expect to be treated. We are truly sorry that we failed to provide you with our very best. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Front desk staff and shuttle service were rude. When we arrived to check in the front desk insisted that we had only booked one night. When I tried to give the girl at the front desk the confirmation number she waved me off and rolled her eyes. The hotel rooms were small and smelled of mold and mildew. The hallways also reeked of body odor and urine. When we left to check out, our bill was not what we booked for and we were charged an extra $80. If you are looking to stay here, please don't.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for chossing Howard Johnson Jfk Airport for your recent visit to NYC. We appreciate you for bringing your concern to our attention. Could you please email me at dkayesha@gmail.com with the guest name so I can look up the charges and if there is incorrect amount I would gladly credit the account.

We apologize for our error if any and inconvenience we caused you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Recently stayed here.. Great place.. Good service.. Clean rooms.. Breakfast is complimentary and offers a good spread.. Rooms have free wifi Internet connection... Overall it's a thumbs up for howard Johnson..

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response on your last stay at our hotel. Once again, staff at Howard Johnson appreciates your business and would like to welcome you for your future stay at JFK AIRPORT.