“You pay for what you get”
Review of JFK Inn

JFK Inn
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Manchester, United Kingdom
“You pay for what you get”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

It's fair to say this hotel would fit into the budget category based on its price - and it certainly lives up to this.

Whilst it is clean, it is very dated. If you are just looking for somewhere to get your head down whilst waiting for a connecting flight then this hotel is fine.

However, don't rely on a wake up call from the hotel as whilst they promise to do it, they don't. They then have the audacity to lie to you saying that they did do it and the call was answered!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew131
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Foremost, we apologize to this guest for the wake-up call failure, despite the cause for it. This Guest can be assured that was an isolated instance, because surely there must have been numerous others who had an on-time wake up call that particular morning. Because we are an airport hotel, it is imperative that Guests’ requests for wake-up calls are prompt. We even instructed our Staffs to knock on Guests’ Room doors just in case there was a phone line problem. Surely, there must have been some misinformation for this mishap, and was not deliberate.
We especially are aware of our airport passengers needs in that we provide free shuttle service transportation to the airport, a continental breakfast, and yes, wake-up calls too among many other amenities.
We are committed to do our utmost, within our budget as a 2-Star hotel, to bring the best comforts and amenities to our Guests, especially those passing through the airports.
We take the complaints and advises of our guests seriously so that we are better able to be of service.
We thank this Guest for this review and issue an apology.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
west country
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Have read many unpleasant reviews about this 2 star hotel which we stayed in for 1 night prior to our flight back to London. I therefore will try to make this review more positive. People must realise that you get what you pay for, and if you are looking for a 4 star hotel, then book into one! It is that easy!. Yes, it needs refurbishment but I found it to be clean in all the right places. The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in for a long time and, the linen was spotless. Free Wi Fi worked well in our room. We arrived early after a cruise from New York and were surprised to find that our room was available , this being only 11.30 am. Okay, the location looks a bit scary and the carpets are old and shabby but it is near JFK making it really a really convenient location. We were a little disappointed with the shuttle as it does not take you to the terminal but it was FREE. We had to catch the train there which was not a problem.
With regards to the staff on reception, we found the young lady who checked us in helpful and she kindly ordered a taxi for us to go to the Outback Steakhouse in Queens. . As previously mentioned, you get what you pay for and I am happy that we probably got more than we paid for. ( booked through Booking.com for £48)

Room Tip: Look beyond the decor!
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanWestCountry
We would like to thank this guest for the time and keen observation in constructing this impartial review, whereas others can be recklessly vindictive and tend to be influenced by the ‘herd mentality’.
While there are still issues to be addressed, our primary goal is to cater to the travelers through the airport offering them the best services and amenities a 2-Star hotel can provide in the area; in other words, that they ‘get more than their money’s worth’ as commented by our Guest. We will do our best to accommodate the traveler with the necessary amenities and clean comforts, such as, the recently upgraded new 40” LCD TVs and new contemporary comfort beds installed in all rooms.
As an airport hotel, there are some operational limitations in the offerings regarding the view, shuttle pick-ups and drop-offs, and walk-to attractions. Nevertheless, our informed Staffs are ready to offer alternative advice to Guests so that their stay can be a more enjoyable experience. In fact, we have added to our services free taxi pick-up and drop-offs to the Resort Casino located 1.5 miles away. Not surprising, many of our returning Guests are taking longer stays both for business and pleasure trips.
We are very concern over our Staffs performance, and we altogether seek as team new ideas to do better. We have great plans for the future for this hotel and it is currently a matter of prioritizing our goals so that we keep growing in the field of hospitality.
We would like again to thank this guest for this realistic and critical review…… one that we would definitely be taking into consideration in our operational planning.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

the personnel it s not that friendly and it s not true what they said on their descriptio. of the hotel. it iss free shuttle but they leave you far away from the airport and the discounts are not available.... it s ok just to come for one night but the quality is to low considering the high price of the hotel

• Stayed September 2013
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
We thank this guest for the review. It is natural to be critical, especially when expectations are not met. We, nevertheless, are grateful even for such comments; for it motivates us to push the limits to do better for our Guests’ sake. However, there are limitations under which hotels have to operate within also, something our dear guest may not have given much consideration to.
For instance, the Shuttle service: To facilitate traffic flow at the JFK Airport terminals, the Port Authority has designated Federal Circle Station for Hotels’ Shuttle pick-ups and drop-offs. From there Air Trains stop by every two minutes to take passengers to terminals for free. A Guest leaving the hotel on our Shuttle for the Airport terminal will have to allocate between 15-20 minutes, which includes the Air Train ride also.
Although we are an Airport hotel, we have a growing number of multiple-nights-stay clients, especially because of our affordability, friendliness and comforts. We do offer promotions and discounts (can be seen online) especially to guests of multiple nights stays. We are on a continual pursuit to upgrade our services and amenities, and also a lot of attention is devoted to our staff hospitality conduct and training. So, whenever we are confronted with complaints, justifiable or not, against staff members we take immediate steps to investigate and rectify inappropriate conducts.
Rest assured, our prices are almost always the best in the area, considering we offer free-of-charge shuttle service, continental breakfast, internet, parking, 24-hrs café bar, etc. with lots of in-room amenities also.
Once again, we thank this guest for the review and issue an apology for the complaint of ‘staff unfriendliness’.

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2013

What can you say my closest real life experience to a crack house in the queens area of New York.. A grubby tired worn out place . Should drop the price by fifty bucks and call it a bail,bond hostel .

Towels and bedding clean , reception staff unpleasant don't do change for the coke machine ,no where to sit have a chill or drink . Not a ideal place to stay after a great holiday .

Ticked this one off my bucket list

Room Tip: Make you're own mind up
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
This guest, it strongly suggests, is a local from the area who is being vindictive because of price reason or other where he could not have his way.
Locals who usually book rooms at the hotel through walk-ins are sometimes annoyed and feel ripped-off when prices fluctuate from time to time, especially when it is not in their favor. Although these feelings can be understandable, it does not justify the fact that hotels bills and taxes, and all other expenses are varied with stringent payment demands.
Whoever knows a little even of hotel operations in the bigger cities will understand that hotel prices can fluctuate within ranges contingent upon a number of factors, especially public events that attracts huge crowds, or seasonal changes. Hotels have to weigh-in on these external factors to reach their financial goals.
Though our Front Desk Staffs do reserve change for the convenience of Guests using the vending machines (Not operated by the Hotel) it still sometimes run short. Locals usually will have no problem making the two-minute walk to the corner store to make purchases.
Our trained staffs are an outstanding asset in our operations, who have been described by our guests as courteous, helpful and friendly. We still remain one, if not the most, affordable, amenity-laden, 2-Star hotels with lots of ‘freebies’, operating in the area.
We are resolved to bring the best service and comfort to our guests and the best price available. As indicated by our guest, we will even reserve more change in the future for the vending machine.
Thank you for your review.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked my reservations online through booking.com my booking Number is 843993941. from 8/3-8/5. I was getting surgery on the 4th. when I arrived on the 3rd they could not find my reservation. Which wasted a half hour of my time. second that night before my surgery my room neighbors must have been throwing a dam party. they were loud, slamming doors and in the NON SMOKING facility smoking cigarettes. And it was a plus to me to find a non smoking because I am allergic to cigarette smoke. needless to say the noise died down at exactly 454AM. I went to my appt on Sunday returned back to the lobby to find a woman walking through with a cigarette in her hand, now before I left I put my sign for room to be cleaned outside the door, when I returned room was still uncleaned. the night of August 4 was worse than Aug 3, the party continued but with an additional few new Neighbors. people were banging on Doors cursing loud, and I started banging on walls screaming..and to no avail. Noise until 6AM. I looked around the room for room service number or the front desk number and could not find one. When I walked out to complain the lobby was full and clerk busy. so I just pushed one on the phone and got her directly. I made my complaint and then was Told by the Clerk Annete who knocked on the door, that she could hear them all the way down the hall as she approached...I decided to check out early cause I rather had gotten sleep at the airport then sleep here. but I had NO CLEAN towels. I had to ask the Maid in the hall for A wash cloth and towel. she had no wash cloth but a few towels..then she looked through her mess and gave me a cloth that looked lile her dusting wrag. when I checked out I asked for a Complaint number or to speak to a manager about my experience, she says there is not one and the owner was not available. though she did make a phone call to him and admited that the noise was extremely LOUD, that they could not refund me all or partial of my funds..I was extremely pissed then she said I had to FIRST complain to the Booking company so thT the booking agent can call them..I am Post Op surgery..in tons of pain and my experience was horrible...Room 202..I will never forget..oh and the breakfast was a few bagels, boiled eggs, cereal with no milk present. old donuts, and orange juice and toast with no butter..

• Stayed August 2013
JFKInnCharles, Guest Relations Manager at JFK Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
We sympathize with this guest because of her medical condition, and to the extent she claimed she had to suffer the disturbance of noisy neighbor. However, upon a detailed inquiry, there seemed to be a few discrepancies to the unfolding of the events.
Although, our guest stayed at the hotel for two days she never made any complaints to anyone - not until at the time of departure, when she was requesting a full refund. At that time also the guest was asked if there is any other dissatisfaction with her stay and she confirmed negatively.
There is always 24 hrs Front Desk clerk and room service. To contact from the room, a guest has to just dial “0” for the Frontdesk. Unless a complaint is made by a guest because of noise it is only then we can attend to the matter. No complaints were made from anyone, despite the hotel was fully occupied. Parties are forbidden at this hotel. It is one of the reasons we closed down our onsite bar.
It is a No-Smoking zone at this hotel and all guests have to lodge a security deposit and warned about smoking in the hotel upon check in. All those who would smoke would have to do it outside of the hotel. Our guest never complained about smoke odor in the hotel but is disturb at seeing an unlit cigarette. Although smoking is prohibited in the hotel it is not a contraband, therefore, we cannot impose upon guests.
Our hotel offers a wide range of amenities and other comforts free of charge, namely, shuttle service, parking, café bar, internet, fridge, coffee maker, and also A FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST that is better that most 2-Star hotel; yet, we remain probably the most affordable in the area.
It would be impractical from a business point of view to issue guests refunds, after a two day stint at the hotel, because of noise disturbance that were never objected to. At least a room change would have been in order if a complaint was made.
Our apologies.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Apart from the Rooms being Clean everything that can go wrong administratively and manegmentwise is wrong here.
They Charge you a $25 percent deposit that if you dont promt them they will keep( am yet to receive my refund after a week)
The key cards did not work so they have to go and open the door for me everytime i left my room
The breakfast was Terrible
The airport shuttle took me to the train station and told me to get on it dragging my bags to the airport.

The is no Way in HELL i am going back here.
Amazing some good reviews that poeple had posted. now i believe the accusation of some hotels posting reviews for themselves. I stayed there for one night from 6th to 7th July and my revervation details from travelscape are Travelscape itinerary number: 113212322680
Travelscape booking ID: 357527042 (63). Just so you know this is a real experience not a fake

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We sympathize with this guest for the misconstrued expectations, who for most parts, made it seems as if the hotel was deliberately misleading and did not deliver on its services. Despite the detailed information provided online through the booking agencies, this guest opted to be indignant without heed to circumstantial considerations. Shuttle service, parking, breakfast, 24-hrs café, phone call, internet, coffee-maker, fridge, Cable 40” flat screen television, are among the many services and amenities offer FREE OF CHARGE.
Our shuttle pick-up and drop-off point is no different from the dozens of other hotels operating in the area; we wish we could do better but those are the parameters set forth by the Port Authority. Our breakfast of croissant, bagel, bread, eggs, coffee, tea, milk, juices, yogurt, cereal, is probably better than what most hotels offer. Before we collect the security deposit of just $25 (Most hotels are $50 and more) we ensure that the guests are informed as per the reason of the deposit and to the terms of return (This is a non-smoking hotel. Guests who smoke in the rooms will have their deposits forfeited)
However, we apologize for the room key problem caused by a malfunctioning programming machine, which was replaced the next day. Much thanks to our staffs who worked diligently during that downtime not to inconvenient the guests too much.
Probably, this guest chose us because we are the most affordably priced hotel in the JFK Airport area, of which charges would cover for a furnished, clean room only…all other services and amenities would be considered free-of-charge.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

First of all.. my room was clean and tidy and customer service was excellent.. I had a few questions and they were very helpful!
Its very close to the airport so ok for a place to crash before/after a long flight.. but its noisy!! And not from planes either, you get used to that noise.. I'm talking about people slamming doors all night long, parties in rooms til 3am or if you get a room at the back then its school bus reversing alarms from 4am onwards.
Oh and I had maids knocking on my door at 6.30am wanting to clean my room even though I had a do not disturb sign displayed!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Happychickmichelle
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Firstly thank you for that critical evaluation in your review of the hotel in which you were being factual and not melodramatic as sometimes the case with disappointed guest who most likely had a disproportionately too high expectation.
Secondly, our apologies for the noise, especially of that from the school bus parking lot. It is not ours only, but a few other hotels border that parking lot which, because of the noise of moving vehicles between 5-6 am, has been a source of annoyance for guests. Our management team who is committed to better service and upgrade recently embarked on a floor by floor upgrade of the wall-to-wall windows with more sophisticated thermal and soundproof window so our guest can be more at comfort.
However, the noise because of slamming doors and ‘parties’ would have been immediately dealt with had our guest reported that matter to the 24-hrs Front Desk Clerks. Parties are strictly prohibited at our hotel. In fact, because of noise disturbance, we closed our onsite bar so our guest can be more at ease.
We thank this guest for this review and hope to make any future stay much more enjoyable, as it is our constant goal.