“You get what you pay for”
Review of JFK Inn

JFK Inn
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Sydney, Australia
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We checked into this hotel due to our flight being cancelled because of the hurricane. We were given a room in the basement. The roof was covered in mould and the room had a distinct mouldy smell. I went back up to reception and asked another room. The next room was mould free. The hotel is basic. Room Had a flat screen tv, bathroom was clean, sheets and bed was clean. For a 2star hotel it served its purpose. small things like wall paper coming off the walls didnt bother us. Breakfast consisted of cereal, muffins, bagels, crossants, tea and coffee. There's a couple of small mini marts around the corner, burger king and a deli. cant comment on the shuttle as we never used this. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Perhaps all the hotels as this one require you to take the airport tram (free) to Federal Square where they pick up. We called from the airport and were told this. We were picked up at Federal promptly but good to know there is this extra step. Just follow signs for Tram and take the one that says Jamaica. Get off at Federal and there are free hotel phones there to call for your ridel

I found the staff friendly . They told us there were menu's in our room where we could order out. These were an Indian and a Chinese restaurant. We opted for takeout from some fast foods around the corner. If it works for you I would recommend eating at the airport before coming here.

I noticed someone else mentioned the key machine was broken. Iwonder if this is a regular occurrence as we were told the same thing so they let us in our room and never did bring us our own keys though I heard them bring them to someone next door. I stayed in while my husband picked up food.

Cleanliness is not up to my standards thought the bed and linens are clean. There is a 5 ft circular mirror above the bed and one wall next to the bed is mirrored.

Our room has a refrigerator. We look out on the parking lot of many school buses.

It has served our purpose. Breakfast is free but you may want to get yours at the airport

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We chose JFK Inn to stay in before next day's flight. If youre going to stay overnight or just a place to sleep in, in your tour of NY, but still want the privacy of your own room, than stay in hostels, then the JFK will serve its purpose..It's not that bad, rooms and toilets are clean, which are the most important to me...Beds can improve, they have those leather like mattresses, which feel like youre sleeping on a leather couch,,,there's free breakfast and a shuttle service, which are great for budget travelers...so overall, its ok for the price being in NY....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Abidjan
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The breakfast has improved. I still do not understand the deal between them and these online services. You get an offer that says 110, you hit the hotel, you end up paying 120, but you actually find out that on the board, it says "Rooms from 95"

Now I have made up my mind NOT TO BOOK. Just hit the airport and call and find out!!

Then when I left, I get a mail from the online company about a "No Show" based on the information received from the Hotel. Then I replied, including my room number ..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Our Esteemed Guests
Thank you for being so observant, and also a returning Guest. As it is, we rely tremendously on the comments of our Guests to better serve them in operating a successful hospitality facility.
We have recently undergone some major changes and upgrades in embracing an approach of progressive improvement.

As our returning Guests will observe, there have been changes in the breakfast menu where new items have been added, so there is more to choose from.

We are adding more facilities in the room so that every room will have its own microwave and fridge. Already every room has had an upgraded 40” LCD flat screen Television much to the pleasure of our regulars. Also, we are replacing mattresses with more comfortable, contemporary ones. Even our Wifi services is being upgraded to every room, an amenity, like so many others, free-of-charge.

Our endeavor is to bring you, our Esteemed Guests, the best of comfort and service for your money’s worth, and your comments have tremendous impact on our decisions in going forward.
It is you, by your comments that have helped us in the past to improve our services and we depend on your critique to better be of service to you in the future.

In fact, if you have a comment, a suggestion, or request, you can send a personal message to John at (email: john@panexpresstravel.com). Your personal message will be honored treated with immediacy.

At Your Service
John Sharma - Director of marketing& business Development
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Horrible. No service at all. Rude front desk person. Very inconvenience when you plan to take subway. You have to pay $15-18 dollars one way to get subway station. There was one time just before we left, the air condition was broken, the front desk girl even suggested to sleep with open window.

• Stayed August 2012
Suffolk
Reviewed September 10, 2012

So, ask yourself, what’s the worst hotel you ever stayed in? I have a new favourite, if that’s the right word… JFK Inn at New York’s Kennedy Airport has to be the most unpleasant place, bar none, I have ever had the misfortune to use. EVER.
I should have read the warning signs… is this place (a) a Marriot (b) a Hilton or is it (c) a brand so popular that it has a total of one location. Expedia found it for me as part of a package that saw me arrive at JFK at 10.30pm. I checked before I booked and the hotel is off the airport area, but not by much…. and it has a free ride from the airport to the property; that’s where the fun started. So, after the usual waiting for ages for baggage and Immigration checks, I caught the Sky Train to the place where all the hotel courtesy busses are…. when I say “all” I mean, as you might already have guessed, all except one. From my limited experience at JFK , if you want to get a hotel, and are taking a courtesy bus to get there, go for HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS… they had a van at the pickup at all times, the moment one left another arrived, slick as you like. In marked contrast, JFK Inn had no vans. Eventually I found their number and called the place, they said that a pickup would be with me right away – I made the call at 11.41pm, and the hotel is 5-6 minutes’ drive. At 12.35, after a second call, the van appeared. No apology, no explanation, just awful service (second warning sign). So … we get to the property – which is right next door to the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS (which I suggest that you use as an alternative), five minutes from the pickup.
The place is a toilet. Properly disgusting. Trashed vehicles in the parking lot, building materials all over the place, overflowing refuse skips near the entrance, (warning #3). Obviously the receptionist spoke little English, and couldn’t find my (paid-for-in-advance) booking …. but when eventually he did I was directed downstairs to a basement room – the number on the door was a handwritten paper sign, the corridor was filled with filthy mattresses, the carpet in the lobby was so stained and sticky that I wanted to wipe my feet after leaving. My room was utterly foul, but I was so tired and it was by this time so late (I flew again at 0600 the following morning) that I crashed. The room was subterranean, literally… no window. It stunk of damp, and was really stuffy and humid… the a/c was efficient, in that it emitted blasts of icy air, but was so noisy that nobody could possibly sleep with it on…. so you have a choice, swelter in the heat or lie awake cool. I chose the latter. I think the bed had fleas. The shower-room was tiny and dirty. The carpet and walls had stains of an indistinct nature, but looked like blood and faeces. Needless to say I did not consume anything that I hadn’t brought with me – a bottle of water and a banana. After three hours of not sleeping – did I mention that the plumbing made groaning noises all night – I gave up and went back to the airport, checking in three hours ahead of my flight.
So. DO NOT STAY HERE. No matter how cheap. If they pay you to stay, don’t stay. If you have to sleep somewhere, and this is the last place left; don’t go. Sleep in Starbucks in the terminal; wander the duty-free stores for a few hours… but NEVER go to the JFK Inn. It is dirty, stinky, damp, neglected, pestilent, and utterly without a single redeeming feature of any sort whatsoever. I can only assume that the City authorities haven’t closed it down because they use it as a training site for new Health Inspectors. It really is that bad. Choose life. Choose bland mediocrity where everything works. Choose Holiday Inn Express. They have courtesy vans.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TACHSuffolk
JFKInnCharles, Guest Relations Manager at JFK Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Our Esteemed Guests,
It is unfortunate that our guest had to wait that long. It takes our shuttle aprox. 30 minutes to make a round trip to the JFK Airport and back. Unless our guest missed the shuttle at the airport in the first instance, then it will account for the hour arrival time. This is not our mode of operation, although it did occurred at times to passengers through this busy airport.
Also, our hotel is built on the slope of a hill. Entering from the back entrance it will be at ground level; from the front entrance it appears like going one floor below.
We have an ongoing program of upgrades and renovations to better accommodate our guests, such as, installing new beds, and new 40” LCD Television in every room in the hotel. We tried our utmost not to make our guests discomforted during such procedures. We have already done upgrades to bathrooms, walls, carpet, etc., which our guest rather did not mind sticking to the truth in his description and suppositions, but seemed more intent on recommending another particular hotel. As for the noisy AC which was blowing too much cold air, as mentioned by the guest, it could have been simply rectified by reducing the speed, or notifying the front desk of the matter.
As far as service is concerned, although we are categorized as a 2-Star hotel, we will continue to strive to bring the best service and comfort to our guests to the best of our ability, many free-of-charege, not to mentioned being the most affordable in the JFK Airport area.
We welcome the comments of our guests for it is through them we are sensitized to become better at their service.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were in NYC for 2012 US Open Tennis and stayed at this hotel. We booked a reservation from Hotwire thru their "hidden hotel name" deal a month ago. Check-in process at the hotel took almost an hour as we had to wait for them to clean a room and give it to us.

Complimentary breakfast was decent. I checked the date on the Milk carton (taking suggestion from another reviewer here) and date was well within the expiry date.

There was no hot water one day right after we had breakfast and came back to our room to take bath. We had to take bath with really cold water (yes, we did!) as we were in a hurry. On our way out that day we reported this to the lady at the front desk - she said the boiler had a problem and now it has been fixed and we should try back in 10 mins. Next morning we had to check out and leave very early (4 am) to catch the flight and there was hot water then. So I'm not sure if they really fixed the problem or there were just too many people wanting hot water same time the day before when it ran out.

My wife noticed some rashes on her skin the 2nd day of our stay. At first we thought it was caused due to some allergy or a bug might have bitten her while walking through the Flushing Meadows park earlier that day. But on the 3rd day I too started getting the same spots on my skin. After coming back from our trip we realized these are bed bug bites (having being bitten by these bugs on our trip last year to WV). We are now too scared to step into any hotel as there are bed bugs everywhere.

I'm trying to contact the hotel management to see if they can refund at least part of our hotel fees due to the bed bug problem.

Had we known earlier we were getting "JFK Inn" thru the Hotwire deal, we would have looked for something better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple