“Nice value and clean rooms...”

Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Our family stayed overnight to catch a very early flight from JFK and after reading the reviews decided to stay here. Bottomline is this hotel is clean, has spotless rooms and is right next to the airport.That's all we needed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bedandbreakfastfan43

Reviewed February 26, 2011

I checked in at about 9:30 PM and checked out at 4:00 AM to catch a 6:00 AM flight out of Kennedy Airport . . . so I did not really "experience" the hotel in a complete sense and I had no daylight hours during my stay. And, bear in mind I stayed here after having spent the prior 5 nights in a couple of more upscale properties, so I had been a bit spoiled.

Comments:

* They run an efficient (and free) shuttle service to/from JFK. After returning a rental car to JFK, I called the hotel and they dispatched the driver right away; I was in the hotel shuttle bus 10 minutes later and at the hotel 5 minutes after that. Pickups are at "Federal Circle", which is the airport's Air Train station serving the rental car lots. This works out well.

* For transportation TO the airport, the shuttle bus runs on a schedule (every 30 minutes starting at 4:00 AM), and passengers are taken directly to their departure terminals. I was on the 4 AM shuttle; it left on schedule; I was at Terminal 7 by 4:15. In retrospect, I could have taken the 4:30 AM shuttle and would have been just fine.

* Front desk staff seemed competent and friendly. When my shuttle bus arrived with about 5 guests, it would have been nice if the woman who was hanging around in the back room could have come out to the desk to help her colleague who was stuck doing all of the check-ins by herself.

* The room was nice, though the mattress was definitely more 3-star than 5-star; mattress was a little "spring-y". But the bedding was clean, as was the bathroom.

* There was complimentary internet access, and a table and desk chair that was conducive to working.

* There is a complimentary breakfast, but because I checked out at 4 AM, I did not experience it.

* I had absolutely no chance to check out the surrounding neighborhood, but from what I could see from the shuttle bus to/from the airport, it is a rather ugly landscape dominated by airport-related cargo facilities and such; there is really nothing to see or do within walking distance; unlike most of New York City, it does not seem to be a pedestrian-friendly area. I would not want to have too much extra time on my hands at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank kwa829
Reviewed February 9, 2011

After reading many reviews of hotels near JFK, I chose the Hampton Inn. I was not disappointed. It was straight forward to find my way to the Air train and the Federal Circle stop. Within 10 minutes the shuttle arrived. This was after midnight.

Check in was a breeze as I had prepaid for the room. I had a room on the top floor (12th). The room was modern with HDTV (wow, gotta get me one of those), comfortable bed with top quality linens (it was a tall bed - that's what I have at home).

I had to leave early the next morning so I was unable to take advantage of their free breakfast. The shuttle driver assisted me with all of my luggage and delivered me directly to my terminal.

If ever I am overnight at JFK, I will not hesitate to stay at the Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LadyGBD
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I pre-booked this hotel blindly on Hotwire for a single night, knowing I'd be arriving on a late flight and not needing to head into the city until the following day. The rate I got was $89/night plus taxes and fees for a total of $113, which is pretty good. Shuttle service was reasonably quick, and check-in was a breeze with a friendly staff.

As with any airport hotel, it's usually in the middle of nowhere, so the only dining option was a restaurant in an adjoining hotel which has more amenities. It's kind of a maze of corridors past conference rooms and stuff before you get to the restaurant/bar, but easy enough to find. The late night menu had a limited choice of items, but I was happy with the basic burger and some sports highlights on the TV. There's also a small gift shop here for snacks and things you may have forgotten to bring.

The room itself was fine, standard everything except that the beds were unusually high. Like a full mattress thickness higher than most beds. Not that big a deal, just thought it was weird. There was breakfast in the lobby area in the morning, but I don't go out of my way to make use of free breakfasts other than a coffee usually. As a foodie, I like to save my stomach for more interesting stuff, especially in a city like NY.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Rooms were quite adequate. It's nice that it joins another hotel via an internal walkway if you need a restaurant or snacks. Breakfast was really quite good as well. The shuttle service to JFK needs to run more often in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Traveled for business, just stayed the night, but from the minute I called for directions (as my GPS malfunctioned), the service was terrific. Ana at the front desk was helpful and courteous, checkin was a breeze, the room clean, comfortable and quiet. I actually slept through the night!!! There was something for everyone for breakfast. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The whole experience was enjoyable and trouble free.
The staff are friendley and helpfull, even the hotel shuttle bus drivers go out of their way to give good service
The overall apperance iws clean and tidy..
I would recomend the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple