“Good choice for JFK overnight”

Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Stayed here June 22, 2007 for one night before an international flight from JFK. I stay at a lot of Hamptons, and this one is certainly up to the standard of typical properties.

First a travel tip - to get to the hotel from JFK, you must call for the shuttle, and then take the Airtrain to Federal Circle. The hotel shuttle picks up there, not at the terminals

There are two Airtrains; one serves only JFK terminals, and the other goes to subway and rail stations (two different lines do this - Jamaica and Howard Beach).

Take either the Jamaica or Howard Beach Airtrain to get to Federal Circle. It is the first stop off the airport. There is no charge unless you continue on to one of the rail stations.

On return, the hotel shuttle will take you back to your terminal. I don't know why they don't pick up at the terminals; go figure! Maybe it would take too long.

But it took me awhile to figure this system out and get to the hotel. There are few signs or directions to help.

Now back to the hotel.

My room was very clean, and the amenities of the Holiday Inn next door (restaurant, bar, and pool) were easily accessible by connected hallway. Even though the hotel was full, I experienced no noise or disturbance issues.

I did find the staff to be somewhat indifferent, but for an overnight airport stay this was not an issue. If I had stayed longer or had higher needs or expectations it may have been a problem.

In summary, this is an excellent choice for meeting an overnight JFK travel need. It is in an inconvenient and inhospitable location with no services nearby, and thus might not suit for a longer stay, or for someone looking for a higher level of service and amenities. If you're going to be in NYC for a while, you could find a better choice in a more convenient location.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank waynelaw78
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn NY - JFK

Reviewed June 21, 2007

We booked our at the hampton inns site and received confirmation. We jumped on a plane from San Diego to JFK and arrived at midnight *just* to get there and find out that they OVERBOOKED the hotel and gave away our room!

The very unfriendly staff told us to go to the best western and we even had to ask for the directions on how to get there!

Plus if we had stayed I'm not sure it would have been a pleasant stay...they were remodeling the hotel at midnight!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2007

We had hoped to get reservations at a hotel in Manhattan, but that didn't work out. We figured flying in so early to JFK airport and back out, that staying close by would be the best option. Now the hotel itself was awesome, however, I do not recommend staying there and transporting into the city by bus/subway. We have small children and the area isn't so great. The hotel staff was average. I loved a very sweet lady that ran the breakfast area...she went out of her way to help us every day! The front desk staff in my opinion was rude at times. We would go in our rooms at night and wouldn't have towels and washcloths for the next day, and were told by the front desk that meant there wasn't any. Personally not having enough towels/washcloths is unacceptable. As far as cleanliness it appeared to be clean and I'm pretty picky about cleanliness!! Overall, I probably would stay there again, but only in an emergency situation...such as plane delayed/canceled.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2007

I stayed at the Hampton JFK overnight between LAX and Helsinki and had a generally positive experience. The reception staff were very pleasant and very helpful and offered me a late checkout for the following day as soon as I arrived, the room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, the free in-room wireless broadband was very useful. One of the reasons I chose the hotel was the access to the Holiday Inn restaurants next door, though in the end I didn't use them (arriving very late at night). The breakfast at the hotel was fairly limited and not especially healthful and I still can't get used to throw-away plates and cutlery. While I realise that tipping everyone is the practice in the US, I wasn't entirely happy to be asked for a tip by the driver of the otherwise free shuttle even before I had the chance to organise my luggage once we arrived at the departure terminal.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank bettoneyvere
Reviewed January 6, 2007

I was treated to a weeklong business trip during the first week of December. Since everything in Manhattan was either booked or super-expensive, they put me up at the Hampton JFK

I had some trouble finding the shuttle from the airport, so I took a cab. The cab driver didn't know where the hotel was. The neighborhood is HORRIBLE. Total ghetto, and there is no way I would walk around outside this hotel.

Once inside, it was like a different world. My room was very comfortable (the bed was amazing) and it had all kinds of neat amenities. The gym was small but convenient. The maids left oreos and snacks every night. The breakfast was average, but free. Oh, it's pretty busy at 6:00 am!

There is a nice sitting area off the lobby with a faux fireplace and would be a great place to sit and read.

I ate several meals at the restaurant in the Holiday Inn next door. Every meal I had was great (but expensive). After all kinds of looking in Manhattan, I ended up buying my souvenirs in the Holiday Inn gift shop.

There was free Internet access, and it worked great. They even give you a little lap desk so that you can work from bed.

Overall, I was very comfortable staying there for a week, but if I didn't have a car service to take me into Manhattan and an expense account, it would have been a very expensive choice.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Applepiemommy
Reviewed December 2, 2006

We chose this hotel because of its location near major highways midway between family in Queens & family in Brooklyn. Having a car was a big plus for this location, but it was accessible by a metro bus that stopped at the hotel next door. This is a very modern, clean hotel, not claustrophobically cramped like NYC area hotels we've stayed at before. The room was comfortable, hallway noise level low, & the breakfast was quite adequate with a cheerful, bright sunny breakfast area. Without exception, the staff was friendly & helpful. We have no complaints!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank vephron
Reviewed November 20, 2006

We stayed at the Hampton Inn, JFK in Nov. 2006. We had a very nice stay. The rooms are clean and have nice tvs and beds (great bed actually). The regular ammenities are in the bathroom. The room was very quiet. We never even heard an airplane even though we were right next to the airport. So we got a great nights sleep.

The continental breakfast was excellent! Definitely worth getting up for. There is really no place else to eat nearby though. So plan on getting your other meals elsewhere. (although we ordered pizza from a place that was in the hotel's book in the room and it was lousy, so try something else).

This hotel has a shuttle from JFK to the hotel and back. Make sure you go to the right place to be picked up. We waited outside arrivals, but they pick up in the Departures area (for whatever reason - probably because it's less crowded). Anyway, if you are taking a shuttle, make sure you ask specifically where to go to get picked up.

If you want to get into the city and you don't have a car, there is a bus that comes and you can get to the subway from that bus. The bus is Q40. You can buy a metrocard in the gift shop at the Holiday Inn (it is attached to the Hampton Inn). The metrocard is good on the bus and on the subway. We bought the all day pass for $7. Single trips are $2 each otherwise. We used ours several times so it was worth it. The bus stop is across from the Holiday Inn and up the street 2 short blocks (walk up the hill, not down). When you take the bus, get off at the Sutphin Station and take the E subway to get downtown. (p.s. Riding the bus is an experience - hold onto your hats! They barrel down residential streets super fast)!

You could also take the shuttle back to the airport and get on the airtrain to Sutphin station and catch the E train from there. The airtrain is $5 each way (the all day metrocard does not work for this).

Overall this is a great hotel with a very nice staff. They were very accommodating. The location is great for JFK travelers. If you want to be downtown though, go somewhere else and stay near Times Square. Taking the bus and then the subway is a pain and takes about an hour from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family