“Disappointed”

Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We received a warm welcome at reception, and the lobby area is pleasant and modern. Unfortunately though, we were booked in to a smoking room. I was travelling with my wife and two children (6 & 7), so asked if we could change to a non-smoking room. We were told there weren't any no-smoking rooms left, so after a 7hr drive from Montreal, we decided to suck it up- we were only staying for one night.

Two nights later, and our luggage still smells of stale cigrarette smoke....

Apart from that, the room itself was OK. It's close to the airport, but not in a great area- no restaurants nearby, etc.

Breakfast was OK, but the breakfast area was busy and there was nowhere for us to sit.

The free wifi worked well, and we didn't experience any dropped connections.

Unfortunately, the smoking room soured our experience, and despite the otherwise decent service, we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackson_Griffin
Suela K, TPWS Communications & Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Jackson_Griffin,
First i would like to thank you for choosing our hotel on your recent visit to the area and thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
I am pleased to see that your encountered a friendly staff and had nice experience overall.
I do apologize that we were not able to accommodate your request for a non smoking room and i frankly can understand the disappointment that can arise as a result. If i may suggest, on your next visit you can call us in advance or note at time of making the reservation of our preferences and we would try to accommodate your request early in the day of your arrival. I would be happy to personally assist with your future reservations at our hotel as i am asking for a second chance for us to make it right. Please feel free to reach out to me with any comments or concerns for this or future reservations.
We value your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Many thanks,

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn NY - JFK

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My fiance' and I were attending a function in Brooklyn, but wanted to find a hotel away from the madding crowd. We found the ideal place to be the Hampton Inn. Price was just right. Ambience was excellent. Clean environment. No next-door-neighbor noise. Warm, welcoming and friendly staff. Breakfast was excellent. Easy to get to Brooklyn. Our only problem was parking space. Overall our experience was terrific, and felt a sense of safety. Thanks to the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Non-smoking room is excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann C
Suela K, TPWS Communications & Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Ann C,
Thank you for a perfect 5. It is always great for me to see the wonderful reviews that mirror all the great things our staff does every day in ensuring that we provide an exceptional service. And from your feedback it seems like we have and will continue to do so. We look forward to your return at the Hampton Inn JFK.

suela.kacani@Hilton.com

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent 3 days here en-route to St. Thomas. Hotel was very good with usual Hampton Inn breakfast which is good enough to set you up for the morning. The shuttle from the airport via Federal Circle worked fine apart from one instance when we were left waiting approx 40 minutes at 1 am. On arriving at Hotel we were informed that there had been a change of shift and that was the reason for the delay.
Staff were generally very pleasant [ apart from the late shuttle driver who had attitude]. It is possible to use the Hotel as a base to visit New York but it takes approx. 40 - 50 minutes to reach the city depending on your destination, but if you offset this with the cost of staying in Manhatten then it is worth considering.
All in all, a very pleasant stay and i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wjsarmour
Suela K, TPWS Communications & Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn NY - JFK, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear wjsarmour,
Thank you for staying with us. Our staff of hospitality professionals is always making sure that you are enjoying your stay and walking away satisfied wanted to come visit us back on your next trip in the area. I do apologize for the incident in regard to the shuttle and the shuttle driver as we are looking into this. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Perfectly decent cheap hotel close to JFK terminals, quick checkin, no queues, clean rooms, free coffee in reception

This hotel is clean, quiet, comfy beds, fast check out and a free shuttle bus every half hour to the airport, starts from 5am

Basic, clean and friendly - perfect for an overnight near the airport for an early flight

Room Tip: High floor above street
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Rob B,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
We offer a great value and are very proud of the services and our staff that make it all happen every single day. Thank you for recognizing our efforts. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

After a very long day of traveling and chaos, it was an exceptional gift to have met Krystle! Stranded at the Hampton Inn at JFK with no luggage and many important meetings to attend to after the Swiss Air flight was cancelled last minute, Krystle managed to find a conference room for us and tended to all of the details to relieve the incredible stress we were feeling. She made us fell like we were at the Ritz with her attentiveness and hospitality, and she turned a miserable situation into a pleasant situation. I can't thank her enough for her time and efforts!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear sarah_usvi,
I am thrilled to see that Krystle has made such a great impression on you. Krystle is terrific and we appreciate all she does every day. We hope that among the overall great value we offer at the hotel and services we provide, Krystle will also be the reason you will come and stay with us again on your next trip to the area. As she is ready in making your next business travels a success. THANK YOU!!!!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

On my way to the Caribbean, I had an overnight layover in NYC –JFK airport. I wanted to pick a hotel near the airport, but also comfortable and hassle-free. I chose an overnight in NYC rather than Miami in the hopes of seeing one of my dearest friends. The Hampton Inn was instrumental in achieving these ends. I want to thank Ms. Zapata in particular for helping a tired and frenzied traveler see one of her best friends in the world. Ms. Zapata arranged a car service into Manhattan, which allowed me to meet my friend for dinner, and get back in time for a nap before waking up for my flight the next day. The shuttle service, which runs every half hour in the morning starting at 4am, was quick and easy to use. Although, I have been a bit hesitant to visit hotels, I only have positive words for this experience. I would recommend this hotel again, particularly for JFK layovers. Thank you again, for helping me achieve a memory that's priceless.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Roaming443,
Thank you for your great review. Anna is terrific and i am happy to see that she was able to go above and beyond is assisting you with transportation and you were able to see your dear friend in Manhattan. I hope you are having a wonderful time in the Caribbean and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Found this place by comparing the reviews about the other higher end Hilton properties located in the same general area.

First off it was a nice warm greeting upon arrival. Very courteous and appreciative of the clients visiting. Check in was quick and effortless. Room was clean and I had no issues.

Not much to do around here as stated it is a rough area and you don't want to be walking around. We grabbed a cab over to the Howard Beach area where their are numerous restaurants, and decided on Bruno's. (see restaurant reviews). Cab fare was $18 there and back.

The hotel has their own shuttle to the airport, so it was a nice deal. Whatever your flight time is, provide at least an 1 hour and 45 minutes before hand. My flight was at 8:25, I took the 6:30 shuttle. They go in order of terminals starting with number 1, so if there is a large group it does take a little time.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if ever flying out of JFK and needed quick access.

Room Tip: I think the higher up the quieter. My room faced the highway and airport, and I heard very little no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear EMB08,
Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.
Our associates work hard every day so our guests can enjoy their stay and we are happy to see their hard work has paid off as is being reflected on your experience as i see from you review. We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area.