“Decent for an overnight stay”

Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed here for one night before catching an international long haul from JFK the next morning. It's fair accommodations for that purpose, with some caveats.

What I Liked:

Rooms were clean and comfortable, pretty standard for a large chain. Nothing fancy, but it was tidy.

Soundproofing was relatively reasonable. Considering that it was a full house that night, I really didn't hear too much sound coming from the other rooms. That's a plus, considering most budget accommodations have walls so thin you can practically see through them.

Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. While service is not their forté, I do appreciate when desk staff exhibit professionalism, and this was the case for me. The check-in process was extremely quick and the room met all my requirements.

What I Disliked:

Dining options were extremely limited, especially if you are arriving late. The on-site restaurant was undergoing renovations when I arrived, so I was directed to the temporary restaurant in the hotel next door. The temporary restaurant was no more than a converted ballroom. The staff seemed completely overwhelmed that night, because at 10:30pm, the room was full, and I saw several irate customers at six different tables waiting for their food. I decided not to eat there, and ordered a pizza instead, which took another 30 minutes. If you are arriving on a late flight and expecting to grab a quick meal at the hotel, I'd think twice. Grab something at the airport before heading here.

There is no regular pickup from Federal Circle. You have to call the hotel, and they will dispatch the shuttle. To make things worse, guests at the adjacent International Hotel get on the shuttle and expect to be dropped off at the hotel. After waiting for 40 minutes for a shuttle, I was very angry that guests from another hotel had the opportunity to be dropped off before I reached my own hotel, and it was my hotel's shuttle!

Things to Consider:

Taking the shuttle to the airport is not a problem, because the Hampton shuttle drops you off at your terminal. But seriously consider just taking a taxi to the hotel - you'll pay a few buck, but save a lot of time.

The rates at the hotel are not exactly inexpensive, so try to book a discounted room using a AAA or other membership.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn NY - JFK

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Only spent the one night here - after travelling from Melbourne to JFK via LAX! I was exhausted! Got in around midnight and the check in was quick and painless. The room was amazing. Totalling not what I was expecting. Huge bed, large room, free tea and coffee in the lobby and a gym downstairs. How I wish this place was closer to Manhattan as I would have stayed here for my entire stay! Breakfast was terrific - eggs, waffles, cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit and coffee. Be warned though - get there early as the crowds hit the buffet big time after around 9am!!!! The gym was small but well equipped. Free wi-fi was a bonus. Terrific hotel all round - it has really changed my opinion about 'airport' hotels!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I have stayed at several of the hotels close to JFK for layovers. Hampton Inn is very good value. It is clean and modern and the rooms are spacious. Good wifi and ample breakfast included. Airport shuttle leaves every half hour in the morning. Rates are reasonable if you book in advance. Will definitely stay there again.

2  Thank jonathan62
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My second stay here. Directly across the street from JFK. Currently the International hotel next door , (becomes Hilton at end if 2011) and courtyard on other side are only close places to eat.

Hotel staff was fine today at check i'n, no complaints , just from a frequent traveler, had hoped for more. Rooms are starting to show age, price fiir room is high, but it's NYC , and close to airport , so I can overlook , but from a business traveler, the Internet is HORRIBLE. Charge me the $170 for the room, but come on, I can not get any work done. High speed access is just over Dial up, think I'm kidding , see photo of speed test I did. I will just let the photo say it all . Hampton's Internet is in Red.

So, for traveling through, use for flights, maybe a layover , great place. Need to stay here for week On business, you may want to second guess .

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here one night to pick up our daughter from an early flight at JFK. The room was just as you'd expect it to be. The breakfast was as expected as well. There was no menu information in the room for any kind for delivery or restaurants in the area (no typical info book at all) so we asked at the front desk for information for dinner restaurants. The clerk told us of two, both at adjacent hotels. but had no idea what kind of food they served and gave incorrect walking directions to get to one. They could tell us how to use the shuttle service to the airport but had no driving directions. The front desk seemed prepared only for the usual.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

They advertise a free airport shuttle - maybe ok to catch a flight, but don't count on it for a pick-up, they kept us waiting for 90 minutes at Federal Circle even though we called them 3 times. Probably the attendant forgot to tell the chauffeur, she was having lunch?
No transportation but the shuttle, at Jamaica you will have a hard time to get a yellow cab to get back.
No room serviceand no restaurant - but the vending machine on the floor has most items sold out even though we stayed for 3 nights (weekly, or monthly refills?) - no water for the night...
They don't even have enough capacity in their dining room for all their guests, so you are likely to eat your "buffet" standing in the hallway - they don't even offer trays to pick your breakfast up to your room...
They announce same day laundry service if given at reception before 9:00am - we gave ours at 8:45, at night they told us it was too late and we got it the next day, 48 hours - probably again the attendant was overloaded and forgot it...
In our bedroom, the coffee pot was missing and the sink was clogged, but this is probably not on the cleaners' checklist to call maintenance so diy!
No phonic isolation, from 6:00am on you will know exactly which of your neighbours are checking out, particularly those with high pitch crying toddlers...!

Reviewed August 6, 2011

This hotel is a good choice for those in transit or arriving too late to bother with a trip into NY. Catch the skytrain to Federal Circle and phone the hotel on the courtesy phone for free pickup. The skytrain wasn't running when we arrived but courtesy buses were provided at the taxi/shuttle stand. Late meals were not available at the local restaurant which is undergoing renovations but reception gave us menus for restaurants delivering to the room until 1.30am. Make sure you put your do not disturb sign out. We had housekeeping knock on the door at 8 to ask what time we were leaving. Checkout is late and a hot breakfast is served 6-10am to suit whatever travel time you're in. The furnishings are a little old fashion, however, the rooms are clean, dark, quite and spacious. The beds are comfortable. There is a small gym and coffee etc is available in the lounge area 24 hrs. Free onward transport is provided to car hire and airport terminals. Check the shuttle departure times. We were told every 30 minutes but the driver told us every hour after 10am.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple