“It would have been softer if we slept on the floor”

Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were overnighting before an international flight. We have a 'rewards' card so I assumed we'd get a better room. The bed was like sleeping on a rock. 'nuff said.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although they say there is a shuttle to and from the airport, it is really a pain. After 9pm, the Airtrain stops working, so you have to catch a bus to Federal Circle, call them, and then they will come and pick you up. This whole process took over 30 minutes. Check in was very fast and smooth. Rooms are comfortable. They should really offer bottled water in the rooms, even for a charge. Tap water was terrible and I didn't have singles for the vending machine. Free breakfast was good- a lot of options that were fresh and refilled regularly. Seemed like a very busy hotel. Nothing fancy but it worked for an airport hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here prior to early flight home to UK. Room great size (2 double beds) Hairdryer, Coffee facilities. Hotel staff so helpful. Breakfast buffett from 6am. No restaurant in hotel but staff will order you takeaway or you can walk to adjacent International Hotel and eat in their Bistro, which we did and food and service were amazing.
Our night was during the 'heatwave' outside temperature 109 F but the airconditioning in room was very efficient.
My husband and daughter went to the Yankee stadium in the evening. They phoned the hotel on arrival back to train station and a courtesy bus collected them.
Shuttlel service to the airport starts at 4am and runs every half hour.
We availed ourselves of the 6am shuttle. It takes you to whichever terminal you require with a transfer time of 15 minutes.
Whilst the area around the hotel is not much to shout about I would highly recommend and would use again if travelling in or out of JFK.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 013monkey
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed here at the tail end of a weekend trip in NYC before an early flight Monday morning from JFK. Returned the rental car to Federal Circle and walked to the hotel shuttle pickup area at 8:35PM. At 8:45PM, we called the hotel to ask when the shuttle was coming. "You just missed him! It will be 10 - 15 mins." OK, we wait until 9:05PM. No shuttle. Call again. "Please hold sir; ok, he'll be there in 2 mins." No apologies. We wait. 2 mins. 5 mins. 10 mins. 15 mins. Nothing. Driver shows up at 9:25...45 mins total, and rude as well. Radio blasting when the door opens, doesn;t turn it down even when a mother with a young child in her arms looks perplexed. I shut the radio off myself. Get to hotel (in 5 mins, by the way - so where was this guy all this time? - and check in and express my frustration. No apology from the clerk. I suggest that perhaps the driver stopped for a drink or two first? (This got me an interesting look which behind the eyes clearly held some serios profanity - hey, maybe the guy was her boyfriend?) She tells me that the manager will be calling me to discuss it in "5 minutes". No phone call. I go back down to the lobby to print our boarding passes. The same clerk (I think it is Aida? Don't hold me to that but it's close) tells me that they have no business center (are you kidding? this IS 2011, right?), and I can walk across the street to an adjacent hotel and "pay them a fee" for the use of their busines center....WOW. I clearly see printers behind the front desk. This gal was simply out to get me at this point. The other clerk looks at her like she's got two heads and says to me, "Sir, I'll be happy to help you print that, just let me finish checking in these folks." Smiling, I say, "Thanks so much Trudeen (who turns out to be the on-duty manager with whom I speak), that is the kind of customer service I've come to appreciate from Hilton properties." Trudeen helps me and I go to bed. The room, by the way, although older, was clean and pleasant, but the air condioning in the hallway was broken, or perhaps someone played a cruel joke and turned on the heat, because I've been in cooler saunas. However, it was working well in my room, and that's what mattered. The shuttle bus in the morning to airport was on time and pleasant, although the driver took cash from some guy standing outside the hotel and gave him a ride and dropped him off somewhere near a construction site at JFK. Not sure what that was all about, maybe a buddy of the guy's or something, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "safe" practice, and from the looks of it, this was a common occurance. Whatever. We got to terminal unscathed and ended a "fair at best" experience (and overpriced - I paid almost $200 for the room because I thought I was going to get typical Hilton-Hampton Inn quality service.) I will NOT stay here again - not because the property was poor - that was "OK" (not great by any means, though) - but because the experience is at least 50% service - and this hotel has got (almost) NONE. Be careful - they need to watch the safety here too - the hitchhiker could have freaked out some folks.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor away from elevator
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bidichurch
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is a simple, predictable, and convenient accommodation for a business traveler who uses JFK airport. Rooms are good size, clean, and spacious. Excellent bed, good shower with free toiletries, and iron provided. Room service available.

Breakfast not served before 6 am, so those with early departures (I like mine) will have to plan to eat elsewhere. Please note that there are very few food establishment within a walking distance of the hotel.

Shuttle service starts at 5 am - quick and convenient transfers to/from all terminals. Check-in and check-out were quick and convenient. Will be back - best for a quick business stop.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect of a JFK airport hotel. After reading many reviews we chose this hotel as they do offer a park and fly option. We arrived near 12:00 midnight and left at 5:00 a.m so we did not get to try the breakfast. We were pleasantly surprised, as the hotel was clean and comfortable. The shuttle was ready and waiting in the morning when we departed for our trip. The return shuttle service arrived within 5 minutes of our call from the airport hotel phone kiosk. The only negative was a miscommunication based on a call I placed to the hotel prior to booking. My understanding was that the park and fly was included in the rate, however; when we checked in we were informed that there is a $15 a day charge for the parking. We would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, we didn't have any issues with noise.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Perhaps the best hotel near JFK, and probably by far the best value. Good breakfast in the morning, and front desk staff was extremely helpful and cheerful. Rooms were well cleaned, beds were superb. I've stayed at two other JFK hotels previously, and this one is by far the best.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business