“Great Stay before Morning Flight”

Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
“Great Stay before Morning Flight”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We drove down from Boston to NY to get on a morning flight out of JFK. We arrived at the Marriott at 11pm with our 3 kids and the staff was wonderful! I can't remember the name of the woman who helped us at the front desk but she was terrific. She was friendly to my children and explained what time we need to be in the lobby to get the van to the airport. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. The van service was easy and we were dropped off right at our terminal. We left our car at the hotel for the week and we called them after we landed and they had it warmed up and ready for us when we arrived back. So convenient and easy!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rach1024
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear RACH1024, thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I consider myself fortunate to work alongside the many hospitality professionals that make up the Courtyard by Marriott JFK team! They will be pleased to hear that your children enjoyed their stay, and that you found our accomodations to be clean, comfortable and convenient. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel the next timeyou find yourself in the NYC-JFK vicinity!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Understand, 5-star rating doesn't = 5-star hotel; it means hotel does best possible job at what it is supposed to do, and this hotel delivers! Courtyard by Marriott is not Marriott's elite brand, so don't expect glamour. Expect impeccably clean room, great bed, nice linens, free WiFi & efficient service with a smile. Food choices limited but very tasty, pricey but fair for NYC.

Don't complain about the neighborhood! It's the only one near the airport. Don't complain about shuttle pick-up location! It's mandated by Port Authority. Complain to them, by all means. It's a lousy arrangement! But not hotel's fault.

Caveat #1: Parking description could be improved. $25 valet parking only option for secure hotel parking. Otherwise you park on the street.

Caveat #2: Check your WiFi connection before you unpack. In some rooms at the end of the hallway, connection does not reach all the way to the desk.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Sandra C
Thank you Sandra C for sharing your expereinces with our hotel, I was pleased to read that we achieved our goal of delivering service that met and exceeded your expectations! I have good news to share regarding our Wi-fi connection. We have recently upgraded our bandwidth almost 10 fold, and are in the process of upgrading our access points to improve the connection in the corner rooms that you mention. Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at JFK; we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the NYC-JFK vicinity!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I arrived late at night and had an early morning flight out. The shuttle was quick to arrive at Federal Circle ( you take the air train from the terminal there for the shuttles.) . At check-in the nice woman at the counter allowed me to pick up some snacks even though everything was officially closed. I slept well if not for as long as would have liked. The shuttle back to the terminal in the morning runs every 30 minutes and takes 10 minutes to get you back into the airport.
Room was clean and comfortable standard Marriott issue.
Overall for an early morning flight out of JFk this is a great choice and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bccrab
Thank you BOORAB for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in a heartbeat as well! I'm glad you found our shuttle service convenient and efficient, and our rooms clean and comfortable. Many of our guests stay with us for the same reasons you do, a convenient trip to the airport for an early flight, after a good nights rest!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here one night on a layover before boarding our flight overseas. Took the free shuttle over from JFK having arrived about midnight. We only waited 7 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up. Check-in was fast and easy. Bellman very friendly and brought bags up on a cart. Room amenities better than expected. Free wifi, mini refrigerator, Keurig coffee machine in the room. And love those Marriott mattresses -- like sleeping on a soft roll of Charmin tissue, with lots of pillows to boot! Will definitely use this hotel again. We asked and were granted a late check-out as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carolynn S
Thank you Carolynn S for sharing your experiences with our hotel. I'm happy we achieved our goal of exceeding your expectations! Many guests enjoy the little "extras" that we provide, like the Keurig coffee makers and mini fridges in every room. I'm glad to hear you will definitely be back, we'll definitely be here to welcome you!
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Considering how little there is to choose from near JFK in the way of great hotels, this Courtyard is a find - and definitely operates a bit like a full service Marriott. Good beds, great linens, nice and clean, good selection of bath products (including toothpaste), small fridge in room, surprisingly attentive and smart staff, efficient shuttle to and from the airport - including call for pick-up, nice carpeting in the hallways, nice elevators, comfortable lobby bar and space to work or have a meeting, decent food, very close to the airport and highway, next to a quiet residential area. Though we did see out our window a few planes coming into to Kennedy, we never heard them.
My stay was not without a few glitches including a malfunctioning heating system which left our room frigid at times. They checked it once - the heat did work for a few hours - but when it stopped working again the next day the manager personally brought up a stand-alone room heater - and a glass of wine - and he adjusted our bill, which I did not request, but was certainly welcome. He had also offered initially to move me to another room, but when I said I was too exhausted to pack up etc, he came through with the heater. The manager, whose name is Tayfun and another staffer, Orlando, were both particularly helpful, but everyone we encountered from lobby staff to maintenance workers, housekeepers, bartender, limo driver et al, were all personable and on the ball. Despite poor water pressure in the shower, a creaky bathroom door that kept swinging closed and desk chair too big for the desk, we would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RobertaAnthony
Dear Roberta Anthony, thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to see that you were happy with your "find" of our hotel. Many guests appreciate the little extras like the refrigerators in each room, and count on things like our reliable shuttle service to make their stay convenient and comfortable. I was happy to hear that Tayfun and Orlando quickly addressed the concerns you had during your stay, and took steps to provide a token of our apologies that your stay was not the completely flawless one we strive for. I've shared your comments with all our staff, and we are pleased to hear that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are in the JFK-NYC vicinity!
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is one of the best at JFK for a short stay. The rooms are clean and the hotel has a bar and small restaurant. There is also a very small gym in the basement. They have all flights posted on a screen and you can even get your boarding pass in the lobby. The staff is friendly and polite. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A higher floor room will stop some of the traffic noise, which never stops in NYC.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stewart S
Thank you Joseph S for your nice comments! I'm delighted that you found our hotel to be among the best. We are very proud of our #1 rating of hotels at JFK by Tripadvisor guests, and glad we can count you among them! We frequently hear that the small touches we provide, like the flight arrival and departure information on the displays in our lobby and on the guest room TV's, or the ability to check in for your flight and print your boarding pass from the convenience of our lobby, are appreciated by our guests! In turn, we appreciate our guest's choice of our hotel, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the JFK-NYC vicinity!
New York, NY
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Got off 8 hr transatlantic flight, called hotel from courtesy phone as soon as I got out of customs and was told to take AirTrain to federal circle stop.and call again from there. Did that. Was first put on hold then told that shuttle would be there in 10 minutes. Was asked if I had cellphone so driver could call me. As I didn't, I went out in the cold after about 8 minutes with 5 yr old. Kid crying due to cold and wind, shuttle after shuttle for every hotel other than the CY by M appeared (some even 3 times!) while our shuttle was nowhere in sight. Shuttle finally turned up 25 minutes after my call, zero apology from driver. Did not even bother to help me with my suitcases at first! Got to reception, complained about long wait in the cold (very nicely) and was told that traffic is outside of their control. I agreed but mentioned that in this case they should not tell me that it would take 10 minutes - simply managing expectations could have saved me from this unpleasant experience. Anyway, receptionist was not really apologizing but rather smiling in perfunctory manner.
Was helped by friendly staff with my suitcases. Got to room - noticed that toilet didn't flush. Called reception, explaining what I had gone through earlier, waiting for shuttle, that there was no bottled water in the room, that mini bar was empty and that toilet wouldn't flush. Received apology about toilet problem and was offered choice of another room (same std) or getting engineer to fix it. Opted for latter and asked if I could get some water. Was offered two 25cl bottles comped (after i insisted) but had to pay for a liter bottle $5! Not even mineral water - Highway robbery!
Anyway, hotel was okay-ish. Staff could have easily handled my concerns (by being a bit more apologetic, perhaps upgrading or offering a voucher). Won't be returning and glad I didn't pay full rate! Maybe that is how it works in a captive 'airport' market.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Voyager_NYC, thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay. It is this feedback which enables us to work toward our goal of continual improvement and flawless guest stays. I have shared your comments with our Front Office manager and all our staff, so we can ensure we use them to find other ways of handling similar situations. I'm hopeful you have the opportunity to try our hotel again in the futre, so we can demonstrate the level of service that we are proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel then!