“Great one night stay”

Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here one night on a layover before boarding our flight overseas. Took the free shuttle over from JFK having arrived about midnight. We only waited 7 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up. Check-in was fast and easy. Bellman very friendly and brought bags up on a cart. Room amenities better than expected. Free wifi, mini refrigerator, Keurig coffee machine in the room. And love those Marriott mattresses -- like sleeping on a soft roll of Charmin tissue, with lots of pillows to boot! Will definitely use this hotel again. We asked and were granted a late check-out as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolynn S
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you Carolynn S for sharing your experiences with our hotel. I'm happy we achieved our goal of exceeding your expectations! Many guests enjoy the little "extras" that we provide, like the Keurig coffee makers and mini fridges in every room. I'm glad to hear you will definitely be back, we'll definitely be here to welcome you!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Considering how little there is to choose from near JFK in the way of great hotels, this Courtyard is a find - and definitely operates a bit like a full service Marriott. Good beds, great linens, nice and clean, good selection of bath products (including toothpaste), small fridge in room, surprisingly attentive and smart staff, efficient shuttle to and from the airport - including call for pick-up, nice carpeting in the hallways, nice elevators, comfortable lobby bar and space to work or have a meeting, decent food, very close to the airport and highway, next to a quiet residential area. Though we did see out our window a few planes coming into to Kennedy, we never heard them.
My stay was not without a few glitches including a malfunctioning heating system which left our room frigid at times. They checked it once - the heat did work for a few hours - but when it stopped working again the next day the manager personally brought up a stand-alone room heater - and a glass of wine - and he adjusted our bill, which I did not request, but was certainly welcome. He had also offered initially to move me to another room, but when I said I was too exhausted to pack up etc, he came through with the heater. The manager, whose name is Tayfun and another staffer, Orlando, were both particularly helpful, but everyone we encountered from lobby staff to maintenance workers, housekeepers, bartender, limo driver et al, were all personable and on the ball. Despite poor water pressure in the shower, a creaky bathroom door that kept swinging closed and desk chair too big for the desk, we would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RobertaAnthony

Dear Roberta Anthony, thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to see that you were happy with your "find" of our hotel. Many guests appreciate the little extras like the refrigerators in each room, and count on things like our reliable shuttle service to make their stay convenient and comfortable. I was happy to hear that Tayfun and Orlando quickly addressed the concerns you had during your stay, and took steps to provide a token of our apologies that your stay was not the completely flawless one we strive for. I've shared your comments with all our staff, and we are pleased to hear that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are in the JFK-NYC vicinity!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is one of the best at JFK for a short stay. The rooms are clean and the hotel has a bar and small restaurant. There is also a very small gym in the basement. They have all flights posted on a screen and you can even get your boarding pass in the lobby. The staff is friendly and polite. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A higher floor room will stop some of the traffic noise, which never stops in NYC.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stewart S

Thank you Joseph S for your nice comments! I'm delighted that you found our hotel to be among the best. We are very proud of our #1 rating of hotels at JFK by Tripadvisor guests, and glad we can count you among them! We frequently hear that the small touches we provide, like the flight arrival and departure information on the displays in our lobby and on the guest room TV's, or the ability to check in for your flight and print your boarding pass from the convenience of our lobby, are appreciated by our guests! In turn, we appreciate our guest's choice of our hotel, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the JFK-NYC vicinity!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Got off 8 hr transatlantic flight, called hotel from courtesy phone as soon as I got out of customs and was told to take AirTrain to federal circle stop.and call again from there. Did that. Was first put on hold then told that shuttle would be there in 10 minutes. Was asked if I had cellphone so driver could call me. As I didn't, I went out in the cold after about 8 minutes with 5 yr old. Kid crying due to cold and wind, shuttle after shuttle for every hotel other than the CY by M appeared (some even 3 times!) while our shuttle was nowhere in sight. Shuttle finally turned up 25 minutes after my call, zero apology from driver. Did not even bother to help me with my suitcases at first! Got to reception, complained about long wait in the cold (very nicely) and was told that traffic is outside of their control. I agreed but mentioned that in this case they should not tell me that it would take 10 minutes - simply managing expectations could have saved me from this unpleasant experience. Anyway, receptionist was not really apologizing but rather smiling in perfunctory manner.
Was helped by friendly staff with my suitcases. Got to room - noticed that toilet didn't flush. Called reception, explaining what I had gone through earlier, waiting for shuttle, that there was no bottled water in the room, that mini bar was empty and that toilet wouldn't flush. Received apology about toilet problem and was offered choice of another room (same std) or getting engineer to fix it. Opted for latter and asked if I could get some water. Was offered two 25cl bottles comped (after i insisted) but had to pay for a liter bottle $5! Not even mineral water - Highway robbery!
Anyway, hotel was okay-ish. Staff could have easily handled my concerns (by being a bit more apologetic, perhaps upgrading or offering a voucher). Won't be returning and glad I didn't pay full rate! Maybe that is how it works in a captive 'airport' market.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Voyager_NYC, thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay. It is this feedback which enables us to work toward our goal of continual improvement and flawless guest stays. I have shared your comments with our Front Office manager and all our staff, so we can ensure we use them to find other ways of handling similar situations. I'm hopeful you have the opportunity to try our hotel again in the futre, so we can demonstrate the level of service that we are proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel then!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here for one night on quick trip shopping in NYC. Hotel has good facilities to enable you to get into JFK for your early flight. Front desk were on the money on arrival, courteous and informative. Rooms were good and bedding, etc fine.

Hotel offers bistro style food, which was fine for the price and proximity to airport. Not a lot to do in local neighbourhood, although we have used hotel in the past to get into Manhattan via Jamaica train station, without having to pay NYC hotel prices. Enjoyed yet again, and would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sophielaura

sophielaura, many of our guests use our hotel in much the same manner you do - both to utilize the conveniences that our proximity to the airport provide when flying through JFK Internatinal Airport, as well as the convenience and value of using our hotel as an NYC base. As you know, our shuttle provides a complimentary transfer to the JFK Airtrain, which in turn connects to the Long Island Railroad. 35 minutes to midtown Manhattan from our hotel! We look forward to greeting you back to the Courtyard by Marriott at JFK the next time you are in new York City!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

While this is in a neighbood that doesn't have much to sight see, it was just what we wanted for overnight. The hotel sent an email the day before to explain the easist way to get their van transportation, so I only had to use the courtesy phone when I reached the pick up area for shuttles. It came in less than 10 minutes. The hotel has been redone with the new lobby and Bristo eating area for B,L and D. Both dinner and breakfast were delicious. I was a little leary since it didn't present as a full service restaurant. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean. ALL of the staff was friendly and wanted us to have a pleasant experience. As Elite members we were given a few perks which was nice. We had an afternoon flight and were allowed a late check out. We will be using the hotel on our way back so I have no hestations.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mlwlpt
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you mlwlpt for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay in our hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our stay, and our staff's friendly service! We look forward to greeting you back when you return through JFK at the end of your trip. For a list of things to do while in Queens, please visit the Queens Tourism Council for more information on area musuems, historical sites and attractions at: http://queensnyc.com/queens-tourism-council/.
We appreciate your choice of the Courtyard by Marriott JFK for your lodging needs when in the NYC-JFK vicinity!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have to say - as fussy and critical as I can be - this hotel has personality! Their shuttle service from Federal Circle station on the free Skytrain system is excellent! I had thought about a fitness stint, walking to the hotel but was glad I gave up on that idea!! While possible in theory, the extreme freeway traffic in all directions, and fumes are potentially fatal!!

Many of the hotel staff are black or hispanic and this adds a real dimension of fun to the place. I loved it, my Polynesian roots feeling at home instantly! So, the decor might do with a bit of a touch up but all in all, the place sings! I think the term is "sassy".

I had a room on the 14th floor and felt at home. So, the designer in me had a few ideas but, they are not paying me for that so, I made do with what I had!

Also, as a Marriott Rewards member, I got a bonus 500 points and a personal message from the manager. That's appreciation and I noticed!! So often, loyalty means a big ZIP, lip service and fantasy in the eyes of the "givers".

I also ate in the restaurant. Good grilled fish and vegetables with a kilojoule hit of warm, liquid chocolate cake and ice cream. I'm admitting it here: the description got me hooked but a good brisk walk for 90 minutes in the cool air will compensate!!!

Look... NYC is a great place but it ain't cheap. You want to pay more? Sure... Go for it... But, this place has earned a little spot in my heart. That's rare enough and worth a Gold Star!!! Try it.

Room Tip: I was amazed at the freeway traffic, so amazed I took a video!! So... Get a freeway view room!!!! Yo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Dr Benjamin P
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences in our hotel. I was pleased to see that you identified with our "personality" - as you point out a wonderful outgrowth of the diverse backgrounds that we all bring to the team. The team and I are glad you felt at home! I will also share your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant. They will be happy to hear you enjoyed the grilled fish dish. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott at JFK. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in the NYC/JFK vicinity!