“Ok for a short stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
A TripAdvisor Member
“Ok for a short stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2003

As a frequent traveler, I have had the opportunity to stay in some great and some not so great hotels. The Courtyard Marriot at JFK has the possibility of becoming a great hotel if only they changed a few minor things. I had arrived late from a flight from overseas and had planned to spend one night at a hotel before continuing on home. I booked my flight on Priceline and got a great deal ($55 plus tax) as compared to their rack rate of $129. At the airport, I went to the hotel counter and the young woman rang the hotel for the courtesy van to pick me up. The van arrived in 8 minutes and the driver helped me with my bags inside the hotel. There are stairs in front and a small ramp, which I didn't see until the next morning. Inside, the front desk clerk was polite and quickly checked me in. I boarded the elevator to go to my room on the second floor, which forces you to use your key card to get out -- a huge plus for those traveling alone. The room was clean and large, but here is the problem. It was located right next to the elevator bank. All night long all I heard was the humming of the elevator going up and down, but of course, it was the loudest humming I ever heard. The bathroom door would not stay open to let me put things in on the vanity unless I propped it up with my bag and the TV had a problem with its reception. These last two things weren't a huge problem, but only added to my slight frustration. There is a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast (something like $10.95), but it wasn't included in my room. When checking out, the desk clerk loudly announced that since I had paid through Priceline, there was no balance on my bill. The courtesy van back to the airport supposedly runs every 1/2 hour on the hour, but I waited until quarter past the hour before we left for the airport. On the way, we stopped to pick up an airport employee, which I found strange, but as I had planned enough time, it didn't make me late for my flight. I would stay here again if I could choose a different room, if I only needed to stay overnight, and if I wasn't in a rush to get to the airport.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)