“Customer service here is the best.”

Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Customer service here is the best.”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this airport hotel on our way home from Venice, Italy. After a long day of flying it was a very pleasant surprise to find such wonderful and considerate staff here. I called for the shuttle, which picked us up at the Federal Circle stop of the AirTrain, within 5 minutes of my call. When we got to the hotel, we were already checked in and only had to sign the credit card slip. We were next to the elevator on floor 6 and I thought it would be noisy, but it was very quiet. The beds were so comfortable. We had breakfast in the lobby and it was actually quite good, even though the menu is limited. On the way back to the airport, we were dropped off at our airlines rather than having to take the AirTrain back to the airport, which we really appreciated, as we had loads of luggage. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night when our connecting flight was full. If you book a room last minute, beware as the rate is very high (400 USD when factoring in taxes). Despite the price gouging, we had a great experience at the hotel. All of the hotel staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. The shuttle to and from the airport was very convenient as it is scheduled every half an hour. The restaurant in the hotel was good but a tad expensive. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Our bed was comfortable. The hotel in general was clean and modern. But, it should not have been as expensive as it was.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerHeatherVip
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two weeks ago while in transit for an international destination.

I arrived at JFK at 8pm. Since I was continuing next day at 11:30am I had some logistics to take into consideration which probably applies to all of us:

1. Luggage is not checked all the way through to your destination if you are traveling next day and after X number of hours after arrival (I believe after 8 hours, at least with AA) therefore, I had to claim my two pieces of luggage and pay $5.00 for the luggage cart at the machine. Otherwise, it will be tough on yourself to drag your suitcases to the Air Train and then to the shuttle stop from the train stop.

2. "Drive" your luggage cart to the Air Train and Head to Federal Circle to catch the hotel shuttle, where all complimentary shuttles stop.

3. Call the hotel to ensure that they send the shuttle (came in 12 minutes as promised).

4. Leave cart at Federal Circle

The shuttle driver helped me with the luggage all the way to my room which was highly appreciated. Check in was a breeze.

The room was right across the elevator which concerned me but decided not to complain since it was just for a night. Well, I wish I did. Hallway was narrow and walls were thin. There was a lot of banging of suitcases against my door all night long with guests coming and leaving since they had no room to move stepping out of the elevator. Next day I made the observation to the front desk as I was checking out and I got the polite answer: "oh, you should have told us!". They must know and unless they were 99.9% full they should not assign those two rooms in front of the elevator. They were taking PL customers, they were not that full.

I had a light dinner at their lobby restaurant, menu is limited. The atmosphere could be relaxing if you seat away from the elevator and bar. Mostly leather couches and chairs, like a living room. Servers were great, very good service.

As I was leaving my room to take the elevator to the lobby for my check out, a maintenance man, Robert, was taking a crib out of a room. He put the crib away and offered to help me down to the lobby. Very friendly and polite. Not only he helped me to the front desk but stayed with me until the shuttle arrive and he loaded my two suitcases in the shuttle. As I was taking a tip out of my purse, Robert made it clear that he was not accepting it! The hotel should be proud of Robert! I am highly impressed.

The logistic on the way back to the airport terminal is much better. I was dropped off at the terminal departure area.

All in all, it worked for me at $130 total with PL. I cannot imagine paying $269 plus tax for the lowest rate on their website that night and going through all the steps to get from the airport to your hotel room.

Mind you that I cancelled another hotel for that night because it was going to be worst including no elevator and check in down in the basement floor.

Robert made me rethink my rating, otherwise I would not give this hotel more than a 2.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank CitizenoftheAir
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend in January 2012. The hotel is very nice with a contemporary designed lobby. We checked in at 11pm Friday night and checked out Sunday afternoon. The room was great, comfortable bed/pillows, clean sheets etc- no complaints at all on the housekeeping or customer service. I used the gym saturday morning and it had all amenities, stair stepper, treadmill, weights, elliptical, towels, water and apples :). This hotel does not have free breakfast of any kind or though they have a bistro in the lobby where you can purchase something. They have a shuttle that runs to JFK every hour I think. My only issue is lack of parking, the hotel has private valet parking for about $25 a night. if you choose not to do valet you are on your own and have to park on the street. This hotel is in a residential neighborhood so if you check in late at night or if your return to the hotel late at night the street parking is usually taken by the residents. While i understand the shortage of space in NY, I dont believe 25.00 per night is justified especially after paying for the hotel room. I will definitely stay here again but might I suggest that an improvement on the parking charges and the provision of free continental breakfast would change my rating to excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms at this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank InTransit07
Courtyard_JFK_Mgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you to InTransit07 for sharing your thoughts regarding our hotel. I was pleased with the title of your review - indicating you found us to be "a Great hotel"! For travellers looking for breakfast included in their room rate, we suggest considering our "Stay for Breakfast" packages that include breakfast in the price. We like to provide options for our guests, so you get "exactly the hotel stay that you need"! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the NYC-JFK vicinity!
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I always stay here when I'm leaving for Asia and have always had a good experience. Friendly staff, excellent bed, kcup coffee in room, nice lobby with some outdoor seating. Granted, anything near JFK is a tigh squeeze with difficult access, but this is as a gfa spot on the edge of airport and residential area. Considering the bad old days of JFK hotels, I'm thrilled for a decent choice.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank ct3408
Thanks to CT3408 for providing your feedback regarding your stays at our hotel. I'm pleased that you continue to choose our hotel for our friendly staff, convenient location and fabulous beds! I see you noted some of the touches of convenience and luxury that we've incorporated into our rooms, such as the individual K-Cup brewer. Many guests appreciate this feature, as well as the mini-fridges in every room. We look forward to greeting you back to our hotel the next time you are transiting to/from Asia!
Reykjavik
Reviewed April 13, 2012

As always keep in mind what you are looking for: If you need a layover, one night NY residence then this is definitely a good option. If you want to go downtown, go sight-seeing or out for dinner then find a hotel in Manhattan.

We arrived late afternoon at JFK. No problems finding the free shuttle-bus and a quick ride to the hotel. Check-in quick and efficient. Friendly and welcoming service. Nice rooms, clean and quiet. Had a good night’s sleep. Rooms were smaller than in most USA hotels but pretty standard for Europe. Overall I was very pleased with the room, bathroom, shower and the bed. Check-out was just as quick and efficient.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food and service was OK. Nothing to write home about but no complaints. Price for the meal was in the slightly-not-reasonable range.

There are regular shuttle rides to the airport but keep in mind it’s a first-come/first served basis (shuttle takes about 10-12 people). To be safe either schedule an earlier departure or order a taxi if there are 10+ ahead of you in line. But then - there are rides every 30 minutes so that shouldn't be a bother.

The neighborhood is shoddy and I would definitely not go out after dusk.

Overall this is definitely a hotel I would stay at again for an overnight layover in NY. I’m giving the hotel full marks for location because as a layover, airport hotel at JFK then it’s ideally located, but be aware that the neighborhood is shoddy.

Tip: If you want water/soda or snacks to have at in your room and are arriving late afternoon at JFK then buy at the airport before taking the shuttle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Gestur_Traustason
Thanks Gestor_Traustason for your comments! I'm happy to read that you foundthat our amenities such as 24 hour airport shuttle, Bistro Restaurant, clean & quiet rooms and especially our Friendly Service made us a good option for a layover and a great airport hotel! We look forward to a future opprotunity to welcome you and your family back to NYC and the Courtyard by Marriott JFK.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have stayed here on numerous occasions for flights in and out of JFK airport. The hotel rooms are excellent - VERY clean and well kept with comfy, comfy beds for a good nights rest before an early flight out. The bathrooms are spotless.

Never had any issues with noise in the hallway during the evening as travelers come and go from their hotel rooms during the night. I have utilized the airport shuttle on numerous occasions - it runs on the half hour all hours of the day - and all of the drivers were kind and helpful with luggage and opening the van doors.

In one stay, my colleagues and I ate at the restaurant - avoid this. The food is disgusting and overpriced. The next night we did order room service and the delivery man from a nearby Italian restaurant came right to the hotel door to drop off our dinners.

One suggestion - book through Priceline.com for a much lower price. I can't imagine spending what the hotel actually advertises for their hotel rooms. Sure, the hotel is nice, but not $250/night nice. I've Priceline.com'd (careful - you want to make sure you actually get this hotel and not one of the other sketchy JFK airport hotels nearby!) and been able to secure the hotel room for $150/night.

Room Tip: Use Priceline.com!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business