“an ordinary, functional hotel with some good staff”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Ahmedabad, India
“an ordinary, functional hotel with some good staff”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just a quick review. We were scheduled to catch the early morning flight out of JFK and since security could take time we wanted to be there well in time. We were staying in New Jersey and hence instead of getting in the middle of the night and catching a cab to JFK, we decided to check in for the night in a hotel near the airport. Garden Inn turned out to be a reasonably maintained property and our rooms were functional and clean. The staff was very warm and helpful, since nearly everyone had the same questions- would you provide complimentary drop off to the airport? what are the shuttle timings? when does the first shuttle leave?

to their credit they answered all the questions without the mechanical tone or response ( the "yes, dear" tone) and made us feel assured. I would like to mention that we asked if there was a microwave that we could use to heat some food to which not only did the receptionist show us the microwave but suggested that we may consider having our food in the courtyard rather than cooped up in the room. a very welcome suggestion.
their wake up service was punctual, the shuttle on time and we had no problems though we were carrying quite a bit of luggage.

all in all, if one has an early mooring flight to catch out of JFK and needs his/her sleep; then this is the hotel for you.

the first shuttle leaves at 4 am and then every half hour. the shuttle can accommodate about 10 passengers so one needs to take that in account.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank earthian2U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had to spend the night near JFK airport, so chose to stay at the Garden Inn & Suites. On arrival, I have to say I was disappointed at how run down the place looks. However, the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The choice of food in the "restaurant" is limited, and there is nowhere else to eat.
Shuttle service to the airport was punctual, and the staff were friendly.
BTW, whilst there we had to vacate our room as the fire alarm went off. It's good to know that the fire department is efficient :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GardenInnManagement, Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear valued Guest

We are so happy that you found us to be a good stay for your visit to NYC! We are very proud of our hotel and especially the fact that so many visitors truly enjoy it and come back! If you are back in our area again we hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Management team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Got stranded at JFK and did not have Wifi at JFK to get Trip Advisor advice (which I normally do) so I took a chance. Damn! Never again. I waited 75 minuted for the shuttle and almost missed it when it came as it is not well advertised like the many other hotel shuttles. Looks like a rental van with Garden View written (not too brightly) on the side.
The driver actually made me laugh to tears which was nice as I always enjoy a good belly laugh. Not sure if you know what a 3 point turn is with a vehicle, but this guy introduced us all to a 8 point turn (when it could have been a 2 point) Very funny stuff. The rest of the ride was jerky and uncertain and the other riders all exchanged nervous smiles. But you know after 75 minutes...I would have accepted a ride on a camel.
The room is very small (like Japanese bedrooms) The wings I had for dinner were only $7 for 12, but only the outside was good as the inside (nearer the bone) was cold and uncooked.
No problem, I will wash it down with a nice cold beer. Wrong! The restaurant does not sell beer. DU-H. A cold beer can 'right' a lot of things. So I went upstairs to the bar to grab a frosty. Not today Vern. The bar was closed (it was only 8pm). I went to the front desk and complained how ridiculous it is to close the bar so early. The girl said so sorry - but it is closed and seemed genuine. I usually let things go but I couldn't. I complained how ludicrous it was. The girl was eventually joined by a big fellow (think he was management - but looked like a bouncer). He finally revealed that the bar was never open as they do not have a liquor license. I asked her why she did not tell me that. The girl refused to even look at me now. I travel some 250 kilometres a year and have never seen a hotel without a liquor license except once in the Syria.
The area is dark, no stores or restaurants nearby. No nothing. Wi-fi was good (and free).
I have taken the time after the fact to read about 45 other Trip Advisor Comments and the hotel took the time to respond to each and everyone - BUT - the responses were all computer generated and basically verbatim. The thing is they are a lot of stranded customers coming up - and they will probably make a lot of money from that source. It will not be from repeat customers - I can tell you that. They simply do not give a darn...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Ezeriah B

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2014

The last leg of our flight was canceled unexpectedly in the evening as we were in mid flight so we called what we thought was a reputable hotel in a city we had not experienced before (being from a small town) for a room because our return flight could not be made for 2 days. We were told it would be $181.00 which ended up being over $220.00 with tax and fees by our early checkout at 6:00 AM in the morning. We were late getting into our room (11:00 PM) and had to leave very early the next AM as we had to drive 11 hours to our home destination instead of flying. The toilet would not flush, the radio/clock did not work, the lamp by the bed did not work, there was no remote to turn off the TV from the bed, and it was the biggest rip off of money by a hotel we had ever experienced!! We certainly should have gotten a cut rate room price for all the things that were wrong with the room! We will NEVER go to this hotel ever again!! We were definitely taken advantage of and hope they never do this again to stranded travelers!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan M
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Terrible experience. Computer with modem took me back to 1990. After 20 minutes to finally download boarding pass, printer did not work. Front lady and staff not helpful and did not care. Customer service horrible. They basically get overnighters making flight connections so no care for customers needs. Waited one hour for shuttle when advertised every 20 min. Again, front lady had no care that I gad to make it on time to board a plane. I asked her to reserve me a taxi and no cab ever came for me. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. A rip if and not relaxing while fatigued from travels.

Room Tip: None that I know of except get better room at better hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GardenInnManagement, Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear valued Guest

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2014

If you need a place to stay just for the night its OK. HOWEVER, BEWARE, I asked the front desk where to park my vehicle and they said on the street. There is no parking around hotel. When I came out to my car in the AM, I was ticketed because of street sweeping and every car on the street staying at the hotel had parking violations on their vehicles. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and they said "so, you should follow the parking rules". I told them that was a important piece of information to tell customers. Upon inspecting the signs in front of the hotel, nothing warned of parking restrictions.
Now for the rooms!!! They are very small and very dingy smelling. WiFi does not work well at all and the TV is analog at best. The so called gift shop they had was a joke and it smelled like old baby diapers. I asked if they had a restaurant and they said yes! After reviewing the menu, I would not call it a restaurant. If you want tacos, mozz sticks and bar type food its right up your alley. We went to the Green Acres Mall for good standard restaurants (ie, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIF's).
It is not in the greatest neighborhood, However, for quick access to JFK, It is fine. They do have a shuttle to the airport.
PLEASE trust me, DO NOT STAY at this hotel. Stay only as a last resort. GOOD LUCK!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide our property with feedback regarding your most recent stay. Your comments are truly one of the best tools that we have for better serving our future guests. Please allow me the time to formally apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered while staying with us.

Leesburg
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I was given a voucher for this hotel by Delta after missing my flight. Upon my arrival I lined up at the front desk with several other stranded travelers weary and dirty. When I asked for a toothbrush and tooth paste I was directed to a lobby gift shop where I had to buy these items along with a small stick of deodorant for $5.00. Then I was informed the "continental breakfast" cost $6.50. This "breakfast" consisted of cold cereal, stale bagels, and a waffle maker. This would be considered a poor free breakfast at many hotels. The hotel is in a bad neighborhood with no restraunts or stores nearby forcing strande passengers to over pay for their services. It is shameful how they take advantage of these people and I cannot wait to get bak to the airport!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank KStahowski
Dear valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our property. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.