“Really! Not that bad”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Jet Blue provided us with a voucher for the night after we missed our connecting flight to St. Lucia. I had some concerns after reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is old, but we thought it was funky and fun - big lobby with glass chandeliers and mirrors everywhere. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. And we enjoyed having the courtyard as well as the lobby to utilize.

An item of note - the shuttle leaves precisely as scheduled. I arrived downstairs a few minutes before it was scheduled to depart in order to check out. The front desk person told me I better hurry as it was leaving. I ran outside and it had left. When I checked the time it was 6:31. A taxi to JFK was inexpensive so we went with that option.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spazgirl

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is a proper hotel at the price of the earlier JFK ones I have slept in. Amenities are fine and rooms, though small are okay. Plus you have an iron and ironingn board. The welcome was not bad, and when I asked for a weekend discount for the 2 nights, I was actually given. Breakfast is also rich. A definite recommend

Room Tip: The Internet is best on the lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2014

After being bumped from our flight at JFK we checked into the Garden Inn and Suites. Upon arrival, Lorraine was very friendly, and had us in a nice king room in just minutes. The room was clean and nice and the bed was extremely comfy. And it was reasonably priced. We were thankful for a clean place to rest. The next day we checked out and returned to the airport. Bumped again. Back to the Garden Inn we went and were accommodated VERY NICELY. We were starving and they even sent us to eat in their shuttle. Lorraine continued to take superb care of us by getting us back into a great room and even sending us in the shuttle to collect our late luggage. Nice clean hot shower. No shortage of hot water and very quiet. Also a very nice courtyard to relax in We want to thank all the staff for looking after us and special kudos to Lorraine. She helped make our dismal experience much more pleasant. We feel like we left a great group of friends in New York.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank dpopester
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Delta Airlines gave us a voucher to stay here when we had a missed connection but this is simply the circumstance of my experience with this hotel and is not why I gave this hotel a poor review. Most passengers were sent to the Ramada Inn and when that hotel was full and this Garden Inn & Suites was the next option.

Upon arriving at the hotel, I wish I remembered to take pictures but I was so appalled by the quality of the room, we left almost immediately and found a different hotel (and paid out of pocket). We were placed in a room on the first floor. The room was probably clean, but any perception of cleanliness was masked by significant wear and tear or lack of maintenance. Desk chair was visibly torn up and furniture was old and scratched up. Carpet was matted and worn. The walls were scuffed and the whole room could use a painting. The door had a huge gap at the bottom where you hear everything going on in the hallway and could see the shadow of people walking by in the hallway. No comment on the bed since I didn't use it.

All that being said, my experience with the staff at the front desk was pleasant and they offered free wifi.

And one more final note, this hotel is not to be confused with the Hilton Garden Inn. The Delta employees I spoke with at the airport when I complained about this hotel actually thought this was the Hilton Garden Inn on the other side of the highway, which it is NOT. My expectation was something comparable to a Hilton or Mariott or Double Tree property, which is standard in the airline industry for voucher accommodation. Set your expectation at the level of a $25 motel on the highway if you plan to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank howardsays
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Dated rooms - not very well maintained. Loud bathroom fan couldn't be turned off. Good shuttle service to JFK Airport. Breakfast included - but started too late for our flight. That hotel is popular for airline delay vouchers.... And when they happen - just try to get service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Needed an overnight stay close to JFK and booked this hotel. Called from the UK to enquire about the shuttlebus.from JFK...well called three times, once waiting NINE minutes before hanging up.
Curt and unhelpful reception staff....who said she was the only one on duty. Perhaps if you can't get your customer service right ...and it's not looking good, you should ensure that your website gives all the information a traveller would need relevant for their stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Siouxie_999
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Their service is downright HORRIBLE. They say they provide free airport shuttle services. After my flight landed, I called them to schedule a shuttle pick-up. Every time right after I said 'could you pick me up at the airport,' the agent said hold on and put me on hold for more than five minutes without helping me. After over five minutes on hold, I hang up and dialed back. Every time I called back, their agent was again rude and placed me on hold without asking for my permission, without helping me. I had to take a taxi. It is a horrible hotel. I only chose this hotel because it's super close to JFK. From their pricing, I didn't expect much, but this is certifiably BAD.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business