“Great place to stay if transitting NY”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Arrived 11pm and only had to wait 10mins for shuttle pick to hotel which was great being female travelling alone.
The hotel is really close to the JFK and with shuttle running every 30mins really convenient for those needing somewhere for the night.
I found the staff polite and efficient, the room clean, comfortable and quiet (I specifically asked for a quiet room) and the self serve continental breakfast adequate.
Would recommend for anyone travelling through NY.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank celticred
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with us and want to thank you for sharing it with the Trip Advisor Community.

In an increasingly competitive industry, we do realize that there are many choices and we thank you for choosing the Garden Inn & Suites JFK Airport. Thus we continuously strive to deliver exceptional service while maintaining a great product. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please contact me directly at MGuillen@Gardeninnjfk.com the next time your travel needs brings you back to the JFK Airport/New York City Area. This will enable me to personally ensure your next stay with us is nothing short of spectacular.

Thank you for you staying with us and we certainly do look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The nice thing here is: free wifi & airport shuttle every 30 mins (according to them, will try it tomorrow), and a decent room. But... The staffs are quite lousy :( Front desk ladies always seems to be busy and no smile at all. I have to go back and forth between my room and the lobby for 4 times when I first arrived, just because the key doesn't works. First it cannot open my room, then I came down to exchange it.. Up again to try.. This time it does open the door.. But I saw a lot of luggage inside the room -_- so I came down again.. Apparently they give me the wrong room number and key. And I went up again.. Guess what? It cannot opens my room again -__-" so I went back to the lobby one more time to switch the card... And they ask one guy to go to the room to do something with it, the one thing that pissed me off.. That guy said: "You don't know how to use the key.. Let me see you do it" while asking me to showed him how I use my room key. It was just really rude IMO! How could he said that to a guest??! Even a kid could use a room key card, how insulting! Even though in case your guest was not able to use the room key, he should never said something like that -_-" It really ticked me off, especially after my tiring day waiting at the airport and I've already been very patient although I had to go back and forth between my room and the lobby several times to fixed my room key issue, unbelievable! :( There were 2 housekeeping ladies that time that was trying to helped me though with my issue, they were much much nicer than that guy! He should fix his attitude, especially if he's working in hospitality area, got no manners at all.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Gracia W

Dear Valued Guest,

I'm concerned about your recent review of our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

You may email me at MGuillen@gardeninnjfk.com if you would like to discuss your review further.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed there 2 months ago out of force as I could not get anything else at that time (I missed my connection) and was positively impressed.

The rooms very very clean....something that I was not expecting ! The staff were mostly friendly but there is a trap.

When you call the front desk asking for a taxi - MAKE SURE you specify that you want a yellow cab. The hotel has a deal with a limo company and would call the limo. I ended up paying $75 for a ride to the city that should cost me $55 max.

Room Tip: Do not take a corner room - internet sucks.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

In regards to the taxi's, according to NYC Law, Yellow Taxis are prohibited to be called on private properties. Yellow-Taxis can be flagged on street level or picked-up from a designated Taxi Stand (i.e. Airports). The tradeoff is that Private Livery Services can be called on private property, however may not be flagged on street level. We are affiliated with a Car Service Company (Separate Entity) which was contacted when a taxi was requested.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked last minute via a third party and got a meager discount, however, I felt the price was too high for what was received, however, it's NYC near an airport.

Good:
Mostly clean room, A/C worked, good bed.

Bad:
Internet was useless. The front desk stated that there was an access code, and when I logged into the wireless, it never asked me for the access code. Fearing that someone was faking the hotel's wireless to grab your personal data, I switched to my cell phone.

Cleaning: Well, housekeeping must only check the to see if there are bottles in in the bathroom and not actually check and replace used ones because I found my bottles of shampoo and conditioner half used. There was no used soap left, so that's a good point.

Shuttle: Was told it ran every half hour. By the time I reached my terminal, it was 15 past hour.. and he had more people to drop off... so I have no clue on how he would make it back. Another guest that was waiting stated he was there ten minutes prior scheduled and he never showed up. Was there two shuttles? I'll never know but it didn't seem like it... the same bus that picked me up also dropped me off in the AM.

The Nitpicky (small things that annoyed me but doesn't really effect my decision to stay again):
Check-in took longer than expected. They already had my information right in front of them and it still took appx 20 minutes to get checked in.

There was no ice bucket in my room. Upon a snide remark of "did you check in your room?", they called someone who brought me a full ice bucket. With the prior attitude, I was expecting an empty bucket, but was pleasantly surprised. Also, regarding Ice, there is only machines on the first and third floor, even though all the signage on each floor states the machine is there.... but it's not.

There also wasn't a hotel directory in the room to see where the ice machines were. Remember, I said this was the nitpicky part... didn't I? ;)

Anyway, to sum it up... Mostly clean rooms that need more attention to detail, mediocre service. The shuttle was a large part of the service rating because of it being an airport hotel. Would I come back? Yes... after checking around again for a better price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the worst hotel I have EVER stayed at. I have traveled the world and this place us awful. From dirty rooms to incompetent staff that cares nothing of guests. Just warning u pay a little more and stay elsewhere. Wait til you see their shuttle. Lol

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jerry M
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

bring this matter to my attention.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our stay at the garden inn hotel was incredible. We were checked in by Micheal and he went above and beyond our expectations. Our check in was quick and efficient. We were briefed on everything the hotel has to offer and everything was told to us very clear. Micheal, a true professional and leader in the industry. (One of the best, I have ever seen in years of traveling!!)Although the hotel looks like it needs a touch up and the Wi-Fi is a little bit slow it really had a great value. Me and my wife were very happy with the hotel and its services.

I admit that we were very skeptical about the hotel because of the ratings. People!! Don't judge a book by its cover! This hotel is a hidden gem. Micheal and his staff definitely deserve a raise in their salary.

A recommendation would be to have lobby music instead of the piano.

• Stayed: September 2013
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Our flight from JFK to Quebec was canceled and Delta booked us at the Garden Inn & Suites. We did not expect the airline would put us in a hotel of this high quality. The hotel is clean, comfortable and a real value. When you have a layover at JFK, this is the place to stay. The hotel provides an airport shuttle and the staff is outstanding, especially the marketing manager, Shani, who assisted us when an outside food vendor made an error on our delivery bill. She helped in correcting the bill even though it was not the hotel's responsibility. The hotel cares about its clientele and is a real find in the JFK area.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have a restaurant on the premise. You need to order delivery service if you do n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple