“Staying here because of Delta”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Hotel was dirty, dated and smelled. The breakfast was terrible and not much of it. My daughter had a stomach ache and all we wanted was some toast, but the bread was terrible. They ran out of coffee. The hallways smelled and the phone in our room does not work. I noticed a garbage bag in the hallway and upon looking at the previous reviewers photos (posted three days ago), I noticed the same garbage bag which means it has been sitting there for at least three days perhaps longer.

The only reason I give the hotel two stars and not just one is that the staff that checked us in last night were friendly and helped us to change rooms to a much better room when we didn't like the first one. The concierge too was friendly who helped us get comfortable quickly and offered a blanket for my little one who had fallen asleep in my arms.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the king bed on the third floor. I don't know if they have several, but i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank InLoveWithTravel21
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I missed my international connection at JFK and United Airlines booked me a night at this hotel. I wouldn't stay here otherwise. Arrived at the hotel after a longish (close to 45 mins) wait at Federal Circle for the hotel shuttle. Was greeted by a long line of customers waiting to check-in. It looked like the hotel had a steady stream of customers who were here because of airline trouble at JFK but it seems like the hotel has "long-term residents" as well. Just didn't feel comfortable or safe with my one night here. When I came down to pick up my restaurant delivery, overheard when of the "long-term residents" talk about a nearby shooting. Rooms were serviceable and generally clean. However, sweaty odor was very noticeable from the shower curtain. Didn't make for pleasant bath time. Wifi was adequate for emails and the occasional Facebooking. Don't expect superfast bandwidth. Breakfast is complimentary but I did notice like the previous night several of the "long-term residents" in the dining room and they were hogging to self serve waffle machine. While cleaner than Bates Motel, I was lucky I had a morning flight and could check out of the hotel fairly soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had read all but the latest review when I purchased a 2-night stay at Garden Inn & Suites and I found the place very nice - a pleasant surprise. I arrived after a 20+ plane ride from Asia and the bed was really what I was looking forward to - I was not disappointed. The shuttle was pretty quick, 15-20 minutes the first time. The desk staff were patient, accommodating and friendly; and I thought the hallways, breakfast area and weight room were nice. There's free wifi, which I don't think I've found in any other hotel, and a huge T.V. screen in the rooms. There are many spaces made available for small families (of about 4) or friends to meet and chat, and the food I ordered from their suggested dinner cafes was reasonably priced (Indian Cuisine) and tasty. The complimentary breakfast included mainly carbs (nice rolls, waffles, toast, cereals) but I was able to eat the yogurt, cut fruit and boiled eggs. There is also a track you can run on right across the street, to work off the extra carbs. The free shuttle also came in handy when I went to the subway to go to Manhattan (about an hour and a half ride in rush hour) and came back (pretty late, like 11:30 pm) All in all, I think this hotel is clean and a good value!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of a long layover at JFK. We booked this hotel over the internet and it seemed sufficient but we did not read the reviews. We arrived at the lobby and front desk area and were overwhelmed by the smell. The elevator and the Hallway to our room was filthy and the carpets were dirty and smelled as well. The room was worse. There were scuff marks on the walls, the toilet bowl still had a ring around it and the bed linens were yellowed. The furniture and bed were quite old and not in an antique way. The room had a musty smell and there was no way I could sleep in that room. We checked out within an hour and went back to JFK. Our room had already been paid for, but the hotel gave us a $ 76.00 credit, which we were very grateful for. This hotel badly needs cleaning, remodelling refurbishing and up-dating of its halls, rooms and furnishings. We have now read other reviews and we found this hotel even worse than they described. if we had gotten a clean, comfortable and non - smelling room, with fresh bedding, we would have stayed but that was not the case. I wonder how many people sent there on airport layovers know what they are getting into.

Room Tip: The rooms should be cleaned and/or remodeled. I would not recommend staying at this hotel as it is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After spending the previous two weeks in a hostel, a hotel room all to myself seemed like a dream come true - even if that dream involved an overnight layover at JFK International Airport. While my very European cab driver and I endured a trying 30 minutes locating the hotel, upon finding it I was warmly greeted and - after a ridiculous wait - given the key to my nice, clean room and provided free wi-fi and cable. It was no Marriott, but big beds, cable TV, free breakfast, and free shuttle service to the airport ought to redeem it. For those looking to cut costs while avoiding dumpster dives and hostels, the Garden Inn & Suites are a perfect compromise!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Honestly, there is no reason at all to stay here except for a missed plane at JFK. This was the least expensive of our options at $150 and served our purpose. It is old and greatly needs a makeover inside, but our room was clean and the bed comfortable. Can't say I will return, but there are worse things than a clean room when dealing with flight problems.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our international flight was overbooked, so Delta offered to put us up for the night. When they first said we would be staying at Garden Inn and Suites, I was quite pleased, as I was thinking this was part of the Hilton Garden Inn chain (perhaps that is why they chose the name?). Not quite a Hilton stay, but if you are stuck at the airport, and you are paying, it is sufficient. The shuttle bus luckily arrived just as we did, so we didn't have to wait. The shuttle driver spoke limited English, but luckily it wasn't much of an issue. It seems the desk staff doesn't prepare for the arrival of each shuttle, as there is a rush to the desk and everyone must wait in line for the single person who processes the check-in. The room was a bit grungy and I stayed away from taking a shower which I would have loved after the flight delay, as the shower/bathtub looked a bit CSI for my taste. Breakfast wasn't anything special, but was adequate.

I definitely wouldn't pay for this room, but if you have an airline voucher, you would survive.