“Average- wouldn't have been happy to pay for it.”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Prague, Czech Republic
“Average- wouldn't have been happy to pay for it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our international flight was overbooked, so Delta offered to put us up for the night. When they first said we would be staying at Garden Inn and Suites, I was quite pleased, as I was thinking this was part of the Hilton Garden Inn chain (perhaps that is why they chose the name?). Not quite a Hilton stay, but if you are stuck at the airport, and you are paying, it is sufficient. The shuttle bus luckily arrived just as we did, so we didn't have to wait. The shuttle driver spoke limited English, but luckily it wasn't much of an issue. It seems the desk staff doesn't prepare for the arrival of each shuttle, as there is a rush to the desk and everyone must wait in line for the single person who processes the check-in. The room was a bit grungy and I stayed away from taking a shower which I would have loved after the flight delay, as the shower/bathtub looked a bit CSI for my taste. Breakfast wasn't anything special, but was adequate.

I definitely wouldn't pay for this room, but if you have an airline voucher, you would survive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

After 18 hours of international flight, my final flight got canceled in JFK on Jun 18 at night. My daughter booked and paid the room through hotels.com for me.. After I got to the hotel, it was long waiting line to check in. I waited for one hour to get to my turn. However, they couldn't find my name for reservation. I asked the front desk lady to call my daughter for the confirmati​on number since my cell phone was not working. The lady was very rude and had no patient. She wouldn't make a local phone call for me. She asked me to buy a phone card in their store which I did but it didn't work. I took the shuttle back to JFK airport. And Delta airline helped me to make a phone call to my daughter. My daughter called Hotels.com and they called the hotel and confirmed our hotel reservation was paid . No idea why the front desk lady couldn't find my reservation and could be so rude and not willing to help. I got to hotel before 10pm. After the long waiting check in and ending no room, it was almost 12am when I got back to JFK. My flight was 6:20 in the morning. Now the hotel wanted me to go back since they found my name after my daughter called them. I was not going to go back after the way they treated me. Anyone if you ever have to stay near JFK because your flight got canceled, please find somewhere else. You do not want to try this hotel. By the way, my daughter tried to call the hotel for 2 hours that night to check on me. But they didn't answer the phone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sldf29
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 26, 2013

The Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Los Gatos, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a mishap with our flight. We arrived late in evening, walked in with our American Airlines hotel voucher and saw the tired and tacky decor and thought "uh-oh!" Our rooms were barely adequate with some forensic work needed to determine the source of the stains on the one couch and an HVAC engineer needed to stem the flow of condensation dripping from the ceiling's AC unit onto the carpet below incessantly. The breakfast was in this weird bar room with poor ventilation and overfilled trashcans. If I had paid for this personally I would have been bummed. Probably the worst hotel experience ever for myself and my family. I've contacted American Airlines to recommend that they not send customers here.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Theodore L

Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed one night on a layover at JFK. If I was reviewing this stay based on paying under $100 per night, then for JFK area this would be an OK hotel. Nothing special, but fine at that price at JFK.

At $150 per night I start being a little more picky. A couple things I learned on this visit:
(1) It was a last minute booking, just through the courtesy phone at the airport. I thought this was "Hilton Garden Inn" and took the shuttle there to be told, no - it's another hotel with similar name and had to pay for a taxi to take me there. Driver told me he gets the same calls every day, so watch out;
(2) In the U.S. when you ask the rate, be sure to ask what the total is including taxes. I asked the rate and was told $129, when actually it was $151 all in. I wouldn't have taken the room at that price had I known.

My room was ground floor and had newish furniture, flat screen TV and a comfortable bed. The building and room itself indicated that the last time it had been renovated was 1980's and since then it has had patches on top of patches. The fabric of the building was really poor and beat-up. There are no restaurant facilities although a limited breakfast is provided free of charge. People were asking for restaurant and directed to a choice of three takeaway joints that delivered. I had a problem with the shuttle bus as I needed to leave around 7pm and checked with reception what time the bus left. I was told it left on the hour and half hour, so to be down before 7pm. I checked out at 6:50pm and asked where the shuttle bus was only to find it had already left. They called the bus back, however I was now 30minutes late at the airport as a result. The bus driver argued that the bus is unscheduled in the evenings and that the schedule is only in the morning, therefore I was mis-informed. Nice thing was that he took me directly to the terminal rather than the drop off point at Federal Circle Airtrain Station, so that helped me out.

Room Tip: It's on a busy road, so ask for a high-up room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mark R

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the worse nightmare of my travel time; missed our flight in a strange place. Was very stressed booking for a return home and a need of place to stay overnight. Met. Ms.Tianna W. who became our angel at that time. Arranged our reservation at this hotel and transport to and back JFK airport. Though a bit pricey ($170 including tax) but worth it. Just 10 minutes from the airport. Room quite small for double beds but comfortable; bathroom clean. TV old fashioned but nobody bothers to watch anyway. Wi-fi strong for my tablet and I was able to used the provided computer in the lobby. Our room was in the second floor and was quiet. Standard breakfast provided. Also, was grateful with the management for allowing us for late check out. Left the area @ 0115 pm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

to receive your kind words of appreciation.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here overnight because I had an early morning flight and did not want to chance the traffic coming out of Manhattan. If you stay in your room the entire time it is okay at best. Room was clean but the TV did not work--even after switching out the remote twice. Nothing to eat on the premises, but you can order Italian, Chinese or indian food, but that's it. The wifi is so slow, it may be powered by hamsters in a wheel. Noisy place, you have to slam the door to close it. I paid $160 (including tax)--not worth the price that's for sure. If you can afford it, pay an extra $30 and stay at one of the chain brands nearby.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, bring earplugs, food and beverages with you. Don't stay on the freeway...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KippyWLA
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm concerned about the inconvenience with the Wi-Fi experienced at our

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Well I booked this hotel off the reviews of the property but wished there was more reviews about the service.I asked the front desk for a rollaway bed and was told no problem they had plenty but to make sure I wanted to pay up front but was assured they had plenty.Soooo after returning from a night out with my family I asked the front desk for the rollaway and was given the look as if I asked for them to build me another room,Was told flat out with a attiude " WE Don't have those"...Ummmm ok I guest the lady wearing the hotel uniform didn't really work there and was playing a joke.I was given the fifth degree.Who told you/ what did she look like/what time was it. And oh yeah I told them how much they charge for it which was $25.00. After the back and forth another lady interrupted and said no worries we will send one up. After 40 mins of no bed I went down to the front desk and was told by someone else "Oh We don't have those. I guess the lady that int erupted just want me to go to my room and forget about it and guest what I did.Thank God that was my last night even though I ended up making a bed on the floor to sleep Thanks to the Garden Inn . Worst Customer Service Ever !!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family