“Great Place to Stay”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I needed to be in NYC for a bunch of meetings and I needed to catch an early morning flight out of JFK the following morning. Therefore, I chose to stay at an airport right near JFK airport. I have to say, I was very pleased with my choice. After a full day of meeting in NYC, I appreciated the peace and quiet there. The hotel staff got me into my room really fast and even offered me an upgraded room. The room was clean and neat and the bed was really nice and comfy which is what I needed most. Also the free airport shuttle was most convenient. It got me to the airport in minutes. I needed to be at the airport early and wanted to get the most sleep possible. Therefore staying here was definitely a great choice. I would stay here again when I need to be back in the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The most likely reason you'll find yourself at the Garden Inn and Suites is that your flight has been cancelled and you are staying overnight. For this purpose, the Garden Inn and Suites is fine. I didn't get bed bugs, and had a quiet night sleep before my flight the next morning.

If you are thinking of staying here for any other reason, I'd try to avoid it. I found trash in my room, leading me to believe the cleaning staff doesn't do the best job. My window overlooked the Van Wyck Expressway, and their store of things you can buy (toiletries, snacks) looked ransacked by the time we got there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my 10 year old daugther. I picked this hotel because they told me there shuttle servis would run 24/7 and every 30 min. Well when you travel you learn to cut corners and everything is never as you want it to be and I am pretty good at this. My level for errors and "not up to standard" is rather high I would say. But this hotel when so over my head that I stutter when I say out loud what I write down here. The staff was very very rude. I stoped at the front desk to ask a question and in the middle of an andswer the lady picked up the phone and was on it for good 4 - 5 min and when she hung it up she looked at me with an sxspression on her face that said: why are you still here ? The breakfast was .... a joke. $ types or cherial milk - coffee - no te - muffin - one type of bread that did not fit in the toaster - no butter and you ate from paper cups and bowles and drank from paper cups. The room was clean. it was I guess the usual small type but the was a door between our room and the next and I had the pleasueof lisen in on our nabours love making one night. To getfrom the hotel was no such a big deal. The shuttle ran every 30 min. But to get from the airport was a massive PAIN. One night we waited more than 90 min. and the folowing night we waited for 3 hours. And after 4 calls to the hotel the girl at the other end just replyed "i know" and hung up what I told her that we had been waiting there for almost 3 hours. After this we where hungry and tierd and I took a walk to a KFC near by and ther I got served through 3 inch thick bulletproof glass. So I wonder in what kind of a neibourhood was I with my girl? So everything about this hotel is in one form or another ... BAD.

Finnbogi Marinosson
Iceland

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Finnbogi M
GardenInnJFK, Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Finnbogi,
Thank you for your detailed feedback on our property. We take all concerns into consideration to improve our service. Concerning our shuttle service we apologize about the wait time. We are working on reducing the wait time for our guests. We hope that you consider staying with us on your return to the states. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Delta sent us to the Garden Inn after a disaster of a day of delays and missed connections. We were greeted by a friendly person at reception, who actually unlocked the door to the gift shop so we could get some toiletries. The room was clean and comfortable with free wifi. A decent complimentary breakfast was available along with free shuttle service back to JFK. The best surprise occurred when we realized two days later that I had left one of my wife's shoes in the room and upon calling after we returned from a twelve day cruise, we were pleased to learn that they had found the shoe and arranged to have it shipped back home to us in Florida. Hats off to Beverly for saving the day!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Delta put me up in the Garden Inn & Suites when they cancelled my flight for the second time one day at JFK. This is one of the usual places they use for stranded traveler’s and it’s not that bad.

Staff: Arriving at the hotel at 1:00 with a dozen other stranded passengers, the staff really hustled to get us in our rooms quickly.

Facilities: I just saw the lobby, the hallway and my room…I was beat. The lobby was a little dated, but it appeared clean. My room was clean, but I was in a basement room so there were bars over my window which made me feel a bit like I was in a prison. However, the room was spacious and I was exhausted, so no complaints here.

Highlights: It was close to JFK and the staff was nice and understanding.

Areas for improvement: Sheets were a little worn, towels were thin.

Location: Right off the Belt Parkway, close to JFK. Not close to subway but near city buses.

Overall impression: I don’t know if I’d stay here long term, but for an overnight stay it was definitely decent.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are quiet but a bit creepy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Watthree
Reviewed July 2, 2012

the hotel is good value for money in the sentence that you get breakfast and a transport to a nice hotel wich looks pretty fancy with comfy rooms.

then again that would be if everything worked out well.

so we used the airport shuttle, what should take 15mins took 45 minutes to get to us. After calling a second time what took so long the receptionist just said; its coming in 15mins and trew the phone down without a nother word

the transport (minivan) felt to me like we were cattle stock because of all the people and even more bags were pilled up in the van. And there were people having to stand, while the driver was going pretty wild on the wheel.

then when we arrived it got a bit more weird
the receptionists were really stressed out because the wouldnt be able to help that many people ?? whilst se was checking us in the were repeatably be rude to people on the phone by giving the m short and rude answers and trowing the phone down in the middel of the comversation. They even took phonecalls en trew them down without answering.

we were flabbergasted what kind of service is that?

behind us we overheard a couple saying the took almost 3 hours to get to the hotel because of waiting on the transport and being brought to the wrong hotel (must be because its a shared transport service)

the breakfast was ok, just toast yoghurt and cerials nothing fancy. we thought it was ok but nothing that should be served at a hotel looking that nice!

i do think its a nice hotel its just the service i have never seen anything like it

nice relaxing garden
great rooms
great shower with bath
nice beds
close to airport

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loopienator
Reviewed June 26, 2012

While I don't usually write reviews, I feel that I owe it to these guys and gals so I will make an exception.

They helped me out with placing my team of 20 people last minute and set them up with food and transportation form JFK airport.

Thanks Guys.