“Nice rooms, good breakfast”

Sleep Inn JFK Airport
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We arrived at midnight and were unable to use the shuttle service to the hotel. Our cabbie got lost so we really don't know how far we were from the airport, but it seemed like a very long way. We only stayed one night. I had booked it because I thought it was closer to the airport.

We were told someone else was in our room. I had called earlier in the day to confirm our late arrival and was told that they did have that listed. To sort this out took about 45 mins. During this time other guests arrived. Letisha, the desk clerk remained professional the entire time, changing priorities but acknowledging we were still waiting. She was the only staff. It was not her fault and she corrected the problem.

The rooms seem recently remodeled, very nice and comfortable. The bed was nice, the bathroom clean. The breakfast the next morning was good and it got us started on our day. The lobby was also clean and comfortable.

Our cabbie had told us that it was a really bad neighborhood. Since we arrived at night we can't really say. In the morning it didn't seem so scary, just urban and we expected that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel served its purpose for my overnight stay. It was clean and even had several exercise machines available for use. The included breakfast was basic and included waffle-maker, boiled eggs, oatmeal, and pastry etc., The shuttle does not operate between 12 and 3. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, but I felt safe. Ask for a room not facing the street.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Very nice surprise, I was expecting much less. Good quality/price ratio comparing to the other hotels in this area, which is overpriced in general, but this is another issue. Hotel is new, clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast average, not many healthy choices except for fruits, mostly highly processed individually wrapped food, However more than muffin+coffee only (there are waffels etc). On the other hand you always get same breakfast in Sleep Inns, no surprise here.
Shuttle to jfk is ok, nice driver, but I had to wait long time for the pick up, There is also a service till 11pm to Jamaica train station. I couldn't reach the driver about 10.30pm, so I had to take a taxi, and the area was not very safe. It wasn't a good experience.
I used a hotel gym facility, since my jetlag woke me up at 6 in the morning - new, good equipment.
I would recommend this hotel if you need to spend a night at jfk. If the purpose of your visit is Manhattan sightseeing - stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ewa D
Reviewed July 11, 2013

There are positive things about the inn:
1) The room is relatively clean and nicely decorated.
2) The staff seemed overworked, but were helpful in general.
3) The shuttle service was convenient for getting to the hotel.

However, overall it just didn't feel very comfortable staying at this place for almost $200 a night:
1) The surrounding environment was quite dismal. Within walking distance there is no restaurant, except one Burger King. As a woman, I would not feel very safe walking by myself at night.
2) The room where I stayed was tiny.
3) Breakfast did not have many good options.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

4 of us head to New York for the Belmont each year. I changed to this hotel as I watched reviews of our other reservation decline as the months went by. The reviews here are very accurate but I had a few problems that I have not seen others address.

First, there are good things. We had a car so the location for us was excellent with adequate parking. We found the rooms modern and clean as many others have indicated. Beds were comfortable, AC performed well and we found it very quiet.

The problems: Local TV and many other channels were not available. Not what I would usually consider a problem, but I love tennis and missed the French Open finals. Staff said the problem was actively being worked on, but I never saw a contractor vehicle over our entire stay. Breakfast was dismal. There were many choices if you count them on your fingers, but basically they were all carbs plus hard boiled eggs and some kind of sausage. The layout was poor (breads on one side of the room and toaster on the other, waffle maker right in the middle of the counter) and the selection was identical both mornings. With no choices in the neighborhood, this needs improvement. There were no newspapers available. The front desk acknowledged this by telling me that they just stopped a few weeks ago. Again, no real choice for picking one up nearby, so unacceptable. And finally, when we returned after a full day away, all 4 of our room keys, carried by 4 different people, did not work. The front desk wanted to explain that we ALL probably were carrying them wrong rather than acknowledge that they were likely misprogrammed at our check in.

I think this can all be improved, much of it quickly, but am sorry to say they probably won't see me again next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Monica H, Front Office Supervisor at Sleep Inn JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2014

Monica Hutcherson
Front Office Supervisor
Sleep Inn JFK

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is a fair distance away from the airport and the airport shuttle doesn't run 24/7 so you might end up paying $25 for a taxi to/from the airport.
The hotel rooms are modern and clean, however, they are tiny. We actually struggled to find enough space for our luggage. Rooms can be quite noisy if you get one that is facing the road.
The selection at breakfast wasn't great but it was enough to get us going for the day.
The closest metro stop is about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel which was ok for us.
The front desk staff seemed overworked and not very friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the main road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

If one arrives at JFK airport between 1 and 3pm and get to Federal circle to catch the shuttle bus to the hotel, one will be sorely disappointed as it doesn't run for those 2 hours. Had I known that in advance I would never have booked this hotel, let alone paid in advance. Other shuttles were coming and going whilst I waited until 3:45pm for that shuttle bus. Driver was most apologetic but I had wasted precious resting hours on a bench in the cold wind. I just needed a place to nap before my long haul, transatlantic flight to Dubai at 11pm (having to check in at 8pm!!)
The actual address is in a really run down part of Jamaica, NY, with no restaurant within walking distance!
Room was nice and clean but facing the carpark area so was too noisy to have a nap, despite the comfortable bed and great pillows. The bathroom, with standard amenities, was spotless and if one had forgotten anything, the front desk was willing to provide it. Coffee maker in room was not working unfortunately.
Front desk was manned by 2 young men who were very kind to me and wished me a Happy Mother's day which made everything else not matter as much. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013