“Basic but affordable”

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
SF Bay Area
“Basic but affordable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Decent place, respectful and efficient staff. Some nice simple amenities like a few exercise machines and included breakfast, though the breakfast is very basic and non-foodie (mediochre juices from a machine, packaged condiments such as fake maple syrup). They had a waffle maker which was kind of nice, but with a dubious commercial waffle mix. The resulting waffle was OK. If I were to do it again I'd spend the money to find an outside breakfast place, assuming there's something better nearby which I can't vouch for. Room was clean, a bit cramped (especially at the desk, where there wasn't room to pull the chair all the way out due to running into the bed). Sound insulation to the hallway and other rooms was poor. The pillows were lumpy foam - gave me a stiff neck, though I'm admittedly vulnerable. But...it's a good price, especially if you're just spending a night near the airport on the way in or out from somewhere else. I would stay there again, knowing what to expect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

To most travelers, staying in an airport hotel means convenience and efficiency. And I think the mistake I made in booking this place was not realizing tt few reviewers mentioned the highly inefficient and relatively unreliable airport shuttle service. After so many airport hotels worldwide, I've finally found one that only makes ONE trip per hour.

In the mornings, there's only 1 shuttle per hour and then no shuttle between 1-3pm! And then allegedly we have to make prior arrangements for the shuttle after those hours.

We ended up waiting 50mins at the AirTrain Federal Circle station, almost frozen. Only consolation was we had a jovial, chatty driver who made us forget that we were upset.

When we checked in, we requested for a shuttle to JFK at 4.30pm for our 8pm flight. But we ended up waiting at the lobby until 5.15pm! During the wait, I approached the reception staff for an update on the driver- she told me matter-of-factly that we had no choice but to wait because it was a fact that they were not providing hourly shuttles after certain hours. When I informed her that her other colleague had actually confirmed the 4.30pm drop-off, she have me a blank stare and said there was nothing they could do about the weather! As I walked away from the counter, she actually rolled her eyes and asked her colleague why I couldn't understand what she had said. Seriously?!? It took a lot for me not to turn around and create a scene.

NOTE to Mgmt: Please re-train your staff on Customer Service 101.

When the driver finally arrived, no one informed us- as expected. He saw us struggle with our 4 pieces of luggage and made no effort to help us with the bags until we arrived at the back of the van.

Otherwise clean, nice rooms.

I will NEVER stay at another Sleep Inn. And I will make sure everyone I know never does either.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank FarahAziz2828
Monica H, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn JFK Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2014

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to sincerely apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Monica Hutcherson
Front Office Supervisor
Sleep Inn JFk
718-297-7000

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

West Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everything is as mentioned on the website. Clean safe hotel. Comfortable. Very good staff and service. Recommend if you are staying overnight to catch a flight. No food places close to the hotel but you can order by phone to be delivered. Surrounding area is a old and seems like an unsafe neighborhood. There is No shuttle earlier than 5.30am. Keep in mind that JFK opens at 4am in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shane12395
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

this hotel is located near JFK airport: about 15min by shuttle bus, which is provided for free (from and to the airport). It is also about 10 min walking to F train subway, and you can also use hotel shuttle for free to get to the subway (F and E) according to the shuttle schedule. The neighborhood can be better, not the one you will enjoy walking around, but at least it was safe, when I walked from subway in the midnight. The room was clean and very comfortable, all essential toiletries, good writing table with good chair, which is important if you plan to work a bit :) The bed was also comfortable. The staff was nice and helpful. The breakfast was good, but I would appreciate some changes as it's a bit boring to eat all the same during a week. Overall, this is a good place to stay near the airport and with an easy access to the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lukoshka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had to stay over night and then back to JFK for next flight. First time staying in area. Did not know bad areas from good. A friend told me about The Sleep Inn and strongly recommended staying there. Man, what a pleasant surprise. Excellent front desk staff, rooms super clean and very quiet. The rooms are a little smaller than other Hotel, Motel sizes. But it did not make a difference. The cleanliness and courteous staff made a big difference. They also have a shuttle to and from JFK.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank holdover1955
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a long week of vacationing and traveling and our flight was cancelled we rang up the Sleep Inn for a room. It is decently priced, clean and comfortable. It's about a 15 min or so wait for the free shuttle but the driver and ride to hotel were pleasant. When arriving to check-in my family and I were greeted by a friendly and most helpful woman named Monica. It was nice to see she not only got us checked into our room quickly but she made my 2 children smile even though they (and us) were completely exhausted. Glad there were some delivery menus available too. With an early flight in the morning she helped set up a taxi because the shuttle wouldn't be available to drop us so early. Not much of a view but clean and safe. Sorry we missed breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have nothing but positive things to say about this hotel, I was allowed to check in 3 hours early by the lovely receptionist Fiona! She was so helpful and friendly and assisted me with all my needs, the room was small but clean and modern, my room view was of a bus stop so couldn't open my curtains but I wasn't bothered as I was out most of the time, overall I would stay here again the bed was comfy with a fridge and a microwave in the room which was very handy and a complimentary breakfast, all staff overall were very helpful I will most definitely be back!!

• Stayed November 2012