“Not as intimidating as it looks”

Ramada Jamaica/Queens
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Nashville
“Not as intimidating as it looks”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

My wife and I had never been to NYC before, and we didn't want to stay anywhere expensive to we selected the inexpensive Ramada Queens. As the taxi was taking us from the airport to the hotel, we were a little intimidated by the area. The area doesn't look very safe, however the hotel was quite nice. The staff was nice and helpful. We didn't stay in Queens area with the exception of sleeping, but the subway terminal was only about two blocks away. We were able to walk the streets at day and night with no problem. It might look intimidating, but noone really bothers you as long as you just walk a steady pace to the terminal. The hotel was great. It was a good price and the room was nice. I advise to take the subway to Manhattan, cause it's about a $50 taxi ride.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Slovak first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My partner had reserved this hotel just for one night months before we arrived!
(I believe I have read a very similar critique from another traveler.) Upon our arrival, tired from our transatlantic flight,(and a one hour bus ride from JFK to the hotel), we were told that our room was being repaired and was not ready, and there was not any other rooms available for us in that hotel! They DID, however reserve for us a room at another hotel for the same price and DID pay cab fare for us to get there. At least they did that! Reserving in advance with them is very questionable because you may not get a room regardless!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Ruislip, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed 7 nights booked via Thomas Cook, Clean,modern & value rooms,breakfast adequate but above average for New York, take as much as you need. Staff v helpful,good connection to Internet. 35 mins to Manhatten on F line, colourful but safe,friendly area.

Tip get weekly pass for subway much cheaper & covered buses too, we took bus back to JFK 33 mins runs exactly to time.

Great value compared to downtown,do book early for cheaper prices, would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Called ahead and was told hotel was a "few minutes" from JFK, with bus stop across the street. Wrong! Turned out to be a 40-minute bus ride. There was a stop across the street, but the bus wouldn't stop there -- it stopped 3 blocks away. Had asked for a room away from elevator, but was assigned a room directly across from elevator, when what I requested was available. When pressed, they changed the room. Breakfast was pitiful. Air conditioner sounded like a race car engine. Noise from hallway came through door. Neighborhood was scary. Not convenient to get to Manhattan. Staff was unhelpful. Room and bath were clean. Would NEVER stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Bogota,nNew Jersey, USA
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Hey folks, went to the hotel this august. Nice and comfortable room. Very good service actually...Close toJFK and cheap price.

Over all very nice experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I stayed for 7 nights in August with my daughter. The facility is clean, the room is pleasant, and the breakfast is adequate. However they may tell you that you have a reservation when you really do not. Then again they may tell you that you do not have a reservation when you really do. I had both these experiences when making the initial reservation and then again when trying to extend my stay. At the time I made my original reservation I added a night on to the beginning and ultimately had to call Ramada customer service to get a confirmation in writing. At the end of my stay, they decided to add $150 to my bill for an evening AFTER I checked out! This was for an evening for which the hotel was supposedly fully booked and for which I was repeatedly informed I did not have a reservation! At the time I checked out I specifically discussed with the checkout clerk that I had been told two days in a row that the hotel was ‘fully booked’ for the extra night I had tried to reserve.
After I discovered the overcharge, the hotel personnel ignored my follow-up emails, and then when I phoned them, they told me to call back the next day at a specific time to talk to Harry. When I did that, Harry was not there, and the person I talked to accused me of not telling them I had a reservation for the future and refused to back off the charge. I finally called Ramada headquarters and they immediately apologized and refunded my money.
I would not stay here again, too much trouble for something that should be simple.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights with my husband in September 2010. Room was very nice, small but nice decoration, all new, great bed. Very clean and quiet at night.
Arrived from La Guardia airport at a 22USD fare and short ride.
We just spent our time in Manhattan and took the metro back at night. No problems with the neighbourhood and only 25 minutes from central park.
Maybe if you are a girl travelling alone it might get dark at night to be on your own if you are a scary person.
Definitely recommend.