“Hotel ok, location not”

Ramada Jamaica/Queens
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Family of 4 arrived at night, hotel rooms are ok, service ok, location not comfortable for the family. Maybe better by daylight. Rooms clean and quiet enough, front desk helpful. Staying 3 days in NYC area. Other hotels and prices were astronomical. Location location location!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul T

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here overnight while visiting St. John's University. This is actually the closest hotel to the university, approximately a 1.3 mile walk or a quick taxi ride away.
The hotel is located on a busy road, and the side street is a bus route, so there is a fair amount of noise at all times of the day and night. However, nothing out of the ordinary for NYC (remember, the ''city that never sleeps."), and not overwhelming, especially with the A/C running.
The general area is primarily Indian/Pakistani/Bengali with a mix of African-Americans, and the shopping and food in the area reflect the culture. Being from an urban area ourselves, we felt very comfortable walking in the area, and at no time felt unsafe.
Hotel parking is limited to a small parking lot alongside the building, with approximately 7 spaces and room for 2-3 more vehicles which would be blocking the spaced parking. We arrived in the afternoon and were able to park without problem, but chose to walk and taxi to our destinations to avoid losing our space. (As an aside: there is a large parking lot at the funeral home next door - the hotel should consider an arrangement with the funeral home for overnight parking.)
Our room included 2 queen beds, a refrigerator, flat-screen tv, free wi-fi (quick, reliable). The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was small, but clean. Towels were slightly dingy.
The lobby and eating area are small, and were crowded with luggage on our arrival day. There seemed to be numerous foreign travelers staying overnight and heading to JFK in the am, hence, large pieces of luggage.
All in all, this hotel served its purpose for our visit. If you are accustomed to the suburban American hotel experience you may want to consider staying further out of the city, as this is an urban hotel. And if you enjoy people-watching and mixing in with a local flavor, you will be fine here, especially if you are traveling with another person or party.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back (south) side for the least amount of ambient noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I made my booking in June, drove from Toronto for 10 hours and when we arrived at 10:00pm I thought we were at the wrong place, because the street is actually 165 and not 164 and the building did look like an apartment. Their was no parking so I ask the guy at the desk where to park and he told me I can park on the road, but I will have to get up at 7:30AM to move it. My immediate response was HELL NO. So he said we can park behind the parked cars.

After checking in we were then told that the room was not ready, problems with the AC. I told the guy I was suppose to check in at 3:00pm and suddenly their is an issue. After waiting for 15 minutes we went up to the room, which was freezing cold and smelt like it had just been cleaned.
Of course we had to inspect the sheets and when we did it they were stains and hair on them. At that point we called the front desk and demanded that the sheets be changed immediately.

Oh how can I forget, terrible WIFI and when I went to car the next morning, their was a chewed up chicken bone one my windshield. I paid $100+ a night due to false advertising. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GuyCan74
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great price. Stayed for two nights while checking out St John's University with our child. Wouldn't have wanted her to stay here by herself. It was convenient to the subway, but it's a strip mall type of area, not really a vacation spot. The staff was courteous & helpful. The hotel was clean. Small room & bathroom. Nice flat screen TV, but the controller was missing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DublinFamilyTraveler
Reviewed August 8, 2012

On a recent trip to NY, I booked 2 rooms at this hotel via Expedia. The price looked attractive (100$ per night) and the Ramada brand, a solid reference. Or so I thought. The first shock came when we got out of the cab. From the outside, the hotel looked more like an apartment building. Bent on making the most out of my vacation, I chose not to dwell on that. Nor did my family. Until I tried to use the bathroom. I could hardly believe what I saw in the toilet seat. Suffice it to say that the filth was overwhelming. Upon reporting that to the front desk, I was told the housekeeper would take care of it but would only come in at 10 PM that night. Yet, upon my return from downtown around midnight, it was obvious I had been lied to. At that point I was ready to relocate, if only Expedia would help me do an early cancellation. I spoke to 7 people at Expedia including a Team Leader and a Manager. All they could offer was a 200$ voucher and no reimbursement. Clearly, I was stuck. So , the next morning, I pleaded with the front desk to do something about the filth. It took a number of calls for the cleaning ladies to arrive. When they left, the stain was still there. At that point I realized how mistaken we had be in booking this hotel. I even became suspicious about using the towels. I also learned that the hotel was independently operated and was not part of the Ramada corporate chain. I also found out the owner operated the hotel using questionable labour practices, hence the low level of service. This hotel should advertise more as a motel. Even for free, I would not stay there again. You might have noticed that I did not mention the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Brace yourself for taking the stairs as the elevator is unreliable. Bring your own towels.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nangnin
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Noisy Hotel but in the middle of a multicultural center, surrounded by Afro-Americains and south asian people. A lot of food facilities, grocery stores, shopping areas, bakeries etc...
Nice Rooms, 2 Queens Beds, Private Bathroom, Flat tv on the wall, heater, Fridge for only 80€ per night for 2 persons tell me where you'll find such a room at such a price in NYC?? Free breakfast is ok, fresh bagles and donuts eventhough they are from dunkin. Coffee, tea, juice and I've been there twice I'm familiair with the staff, them Indians treated us well. Only negative points noisy sometimes during the evening, a lot of sirenes from ambulances and firetrucks, and 45 mins from manhattan by subway. I'll definitly go back next time I'll hit New York.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mehdi1983
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I only stayed one night, Thank God.. There was no regular closet, just a huge wardrobe unit next to the dresser/desk which took up most of the room along with the bed. the towels were dingy, there were gum stains on the carpet and the door stuck every time it opened or closed. If you are not a heavy sleeper, don't expect to sleep in because the slamming doors are REALLY LOUD. There are only about 5 rooms on each floor and there are two stair exits and an elevator to keep each and every room up with the noise. There was no alarm clock in the room and it took over an hour for them to bring me one with a broken face plate. SMH.... As if they anticipated a problem with me, the front desk called me at 10:58a.m. to let me know that check out was at 11:00... SMH... Although the decor was tasteful, the rooms were too small for the large pieces and the view of an apartment building with men staring into my window was not pleasant either. Won't stay here any more unless it is an emergency.

Room Tip: No Swimming pool and the free breakfast was merely a continental breakfast with a round slice of egg...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cynthia F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamaica
Best Western Jamaica Inn
#2 of 30 in Jamaica
Howard Johnson Inn Queens
Howard Johnson Inn Queens
#1 of 2 in Queens Village

Been to Ramada Jamaica/Queens? Share your experiences!