“Will not recommend - Aug 23-27,2012”

Ramada Jamaica/Queens
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I made my booking in June, drove from Toronto for 10 hours and when we arrived at 10:00pm I thought we were at the wrong place, because the street is actually 165 and not 164 and the building did look like an apartment. Their was no parking so I ask the guy at the desk where to park and he told me I can park on the road, but I will have to get up at 7:30AM to move it. My immediate response was HELL NO. So he said we can park behind the parked cars.

After checking in we were then told that the room was not ready, problems with the AC. I told the guy I was suppose to check in at 3:00pm and suddenly their is an issue. After waiting for 15 minutes we went up to the room, which was freezing cold and smelt like it had just been cleaned.
Of course we had to inspect the sheets and when we did it they were stains and hair on them. At that point we called the front desk and demanded that the sheets be changed immediately.

Oh how can I forget, terrible WIFI and when I went to car the next morning, their was a chewed up chicken bone one my windshield. I paid $100+ a night due to false advertising. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GuyCan74

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great price. Stayed for two nights while checking out St John's University with our child. Wouldn't have wanted her to stay here by herself. It was convenient to the subway, but it's a strip mall type of area, not really a vacation spot. The staff was courteous & helpful. The hotel was clean. Small room & bathroom. Nice flat screen TV, but the controller was missing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DublinFamilyTraveler
Reviewed August 8, 2012

On a recent trip to NY, I booked 2 rooms at this hotel via Expedia. The price looked attractive (100$ per night) and the Ramada brand, a solid reference. Or so I thought. The first shock came when we got out of the cab. From the outside, the hotel looked more like an apartment building. Bent on making the most out of my vacation, I chose not to dwell on that. Nor did my family. Until I tried to use the bathroom. I could hardly believe what I saw in the toilet seat. Suffice it to say that the filth was overwhelming. Upon reporting that to the front desk, I was told the housekeeper would take care of it but would only come in at 10 PM that night. Yet, upon my return from downtown around midnight, it was obvious I had been lied to. At that point I was ready to relocate, if only Expedia would help me do an early cancellation. I spoke to 7 people at Expedia including a Team Leader and a Manager. All they could offer was a 200$ voucher and no reimbursement. Clearly, I was stuck. So , the next morning, I pleaded with the front desk to do something about the filth. It took a number of calls for the cleaning ladies to arrive. When they left, the stain was still there. At that point I realized how mistaken we had be in booking this hotel. I even became suspicious about using the towels. I also learned that the hotel was independently operated and was not part of the Ramada corporate chain. I also found out the owner operated the hotel using questionable labour practices, hence the low level of service. This hotel should advertise more as a motel. Even for free, I would not stay there again. You might have noticed that I did not mention the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Brace yourself for taking the stairs as the elevator is unreliable. Bring your own towels.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nangnin
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Noisy Hotel but in the middle of a multicultural center, surrounded by Afro-Americains and south asian people. A lot of food facilities, grocery stores, shopping areas, bakeries etc...
Nice Rooms, 2 Queens Beds, Private Bathroom, Flat tv on the wall, heater, Fridge for only 80€ per night for 2 persons tell me where you'll find such a room at such a price in NYC?? Free breakfast is ok, fresh bagles and donuts eventhough they are from dunkin. Coffee, tea, juice and I've been there twice I'm familiair with the staff, them Indians treated us well. Only negative points noisy sometimes during the evening, a lot of sirenes from ambulances and firetrucks, and 45 mins from manhattan by subway. I'll definitly go back next time I'll hit New York.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mehdi1983
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I only stayed one night, Thank God.. There was no regular closet, just a huge wardrobe unit next to the dresser/desk which took up most of the room along with the bed. the towels were dingy, there were gum stains on the carpet and the door stuck every time it opened or closed. If you are not a heavy sleeper, don't expect to sleep in because the slamming doors are REALLY LOUD. There are only about 5 rooms on each floor and there are two stair exits and an elevator to keep each and every room up with the noise. There was no alarm clock in the room and it took over an hour for them to bring me one with a broken face plate. SMH.... As if they anticipated a problem with me, the front desk called me at 10:58a.m. to let me know that check out was at 11:00... SMH... Although the decor was tasteful, the rooms were too small for the large pieces and the view of an apartment building with men staring into my window was not pleasant either. Won't stay here any more unless it is an emergency.

Room Tip: No Swimming pool and the free breakfast was merely a continental breakfast with a round slice of egg...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cynthia F
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I'm very judgmental when it comes to hotels and this place is slightly above average at best. The breakfast, parking lot and fitness room were a joke and the rooms were small to mid-sized. They seemed very understaffed but compared to the rest of the overpriced hotels in NY, the value and location are great. Make sure and bring your air freshener because you'll need it. They really need to change the filters on their air conditioners. If you're not from NYC then it's easy to see why the surrounding areas can be intimidating but the neighborhood is nothing far from normal for the typical jaded New Yorker. Overall this hotel is not great but it's not terrible either. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My partner arrived at this hotel before me and was told our room had been cancelled, but lucky for us we could take their last only room at a slightly higher rate. Humph, what do you do? Arriving alone into a city you don't know.....well yes you take the room. So this wasn't a great start. We were told the credit card company had declined the payment, which we had made through a ramada website. So, worried, we started to contact other hotels we were going to visit on our trip, booked with the same card, strangely they were all fine..... Anyhow room was tiny but had a great view of Manhatten. Area was not great, nothing around but the tube was only a five minute walk and it was close (ish) to La Guardia Airport which is one of the reasons we chose it. Breakfast was overcrowded - they offered bagels, doughnuts and cereal. It was an ok stay marred by the feeling that we had been conned somehow by the staff, who were pretty rude. On returning home we checked with our credit card company who had not cancelled the payment, we are currently trying to get some response from Ramada abut what happened.... I would not return to this hotel, yes it's a budget hotel and you get what you pay for but we stay in a lot of budget hotels and this was poor standard.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TouringMoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamaica
1 mi away
Best Western Jamaica Inn
Days Inn & Suites Jamaica JFK Airport
3 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Queens / JFK Airport

Been to Ramada Jamaica/Queens? Share your experiences!