“Surprisingly excellent dog friendly airport hotel at JFK”

Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
GreenLeadersGold level
new york
“Surprisingly excellent dog friendly airport hotel at JFK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Due to weather and travel issues (snow) we were stuck a few days at JFK airport In January. We had our dog with us.
We were very happy to be warmly welcomed at the JFK
Sheraton.
Even with our doggie.

The hotel rooms were warm and comfortably appointed and very
clean. The baths were super – no tub but a beautiful shower set up Very modern practical and clean.
We stayed in the club floor and the rates were very reasonable and we had a lovely Complementary breakfast every morning and light supper in the evening – with wine!

During a few days stay, we got
to know the staff who was extremely helpful with shuttle bus and travel arrangements and the like.

I would definitely stay there again.
And would recommend this location to all my friends who need an airport hotel, especially if they are traveling with a pet.

• Stayed January 2014
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear TessieNewYork -On behalf of the Sheraton JFK we would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel.We're delighted to know our services exceeded your expectations and our staff provided a memorable experience during your visit with us. We are proud of our Sheraton JFK team and delighted to provide excellent service to wonderful guests like you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wasilla, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a team here last week and the staff was great. The rooms were small but were clean and comfortable. The restaurant was excellent. My only complaint was we had to get staff to open the meeting room for us. The meeting room should always be ready when we ask for it in the contract.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear wholehogbrew- Thank you for a great review!! We're glad we were able to meet your expectations and you enjoyed our staff. We appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience at the Sheraton JFK with Trip Advisor. We do want to apologize for the room not being left open at all times, we do keep them locked at a part of security . We want to ensure that any items placed in their by guests that will be occupying them with be safe.

Again thank you very much and we hope to see you soon.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night before heading out through JFK. Overall a nice experience staff was very pleasant room was spacious and nice bathroom bed was a little uncomfortable but not bad. The room could have used more electrical outlets, but the internet was very fast. The club lounge upstairs was small but actually had a pretty nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear JamesK_travels,
It is our pleasure to personally thank you for the spectacular comments with Trip Advisor. We thank you for choosing the Sheraton Jfk Airport hotel as your choice for your short layover. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your hotel accommodations. Our sincere apologies for the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper.

We look forward to serving you in the future.
Kabul, Afghanistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I had the opportunity to experience an extended stay at this hotel because of a business trip. It happened to coincide with heavy snowstorms (the likes of which NYC doesn't see too often) and the Super Bowl. Having stayed there for so long and having had considerable daily interaction with the staff and goings-on at the hotel, I feel I can make some candid observations. I would like to begin by stating that I was impressed by the quality of the service provided by members of the staff in all areas, including the front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, shuttle bus service, food service (including the restaurant), and management. The vast majority of the staff acted like true professionals and seemed happy to be there (even though I'm sure there were times they might not have felt like it). Even the maintenance personnel kept a smile on their face and expressed their hope that my stay was going well. Most importantly for me, I truly felt there was genuine concern on the part of everyone to make my experience at the hotel a pleasant one. Dealing with wait times at the front desk could sometimes be a frustrating experience, particularly since the front desk tends to get quite swamped much of the time. However, as I got to know most of the personnel there, I would say they were committed to doing all they could to ensure a comfortable and productive stay for all guests, as they did for me. Between the front desk and management, I felt I was truly accommodated in every possible way. Obviously, shuttling to the airport each day for work purposes is not the most pleasant thing to do while in the Big Apple, particularly when one has so little time to visit the city outside of work hours. That is only exacerbated by the fact that the location of the hotel, while conveniently close to the JFK airport, is located in an area that is less convenient to anything a visitor would want to see. That being said, however, I believe most guests would come here for its proximity to JFK – and for that, thankfully, the 24-hour shuttle service is a blessing (not to mention that one could use this service to take public transportation from JFK into the city, assuming one doesn't have access to a car – or wisely wishes to avoid the hassles of driving there). The room itself was adequately spacious and certainly comfortable, particularly the bed! The shower was also quite nice and roomy. Everything was kept clean by the wonderful housekeeping staff! (By the way, should you choose not to utilize housekeeping services, you can participate in the Sheraton's “Green Choice” conservation program to get a daily voucher good toward food and beverages or SPG Starpoints.) Finally, the in-house restaurant, Rosemary's, prepares outstanding food; there was not a single menu item I did not like (and I tried most – my favorites were anything with seafood)! Overall, this hotel, while intended for shorter stays, did its very best to accommodate my longer stay. I am grateful to all the staff that made this happen!

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) member and enjoy additional perks of membership, which could...
Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Don F
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Don F,

Thank you so much for your review, we are so happy to hear that our entire Team took such good care of you while you were here during the storm. We will be sure to share your amazing comments with the entire Hotel staff.

Thank you again so much and we look forward to having you with us again.

Warmest Regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had a pleasant stay. This was a nice for an airport hotel, I haven't had much luck with those in the past. The room was quiet and comfortable. The room coffee didn’t suck. Nothing was dingy, everything was hard word and all the amenities felt clean new. The WIFI was fast and worked as expected. The room was also three times the size of a Manhattan hotel room, which I guess just caught me off guard.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kipp7272
Dear Mont0307,

Dear Mont0307,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback! We're glad that you had a comfortable stay at The Sheraton JFK. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as it allows us to remain dedicated in our commitment to providing the very best for our guests. We hope to continue to amaze you with our unmatched customer service .

Warmest Regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Over the years I've stayed at a number of JFK hotels. Some have come and some have gone, so when it came to picking the Sheraton it was in large part because I hadn't stayed there before and I wanted to see how it stacked up against others I had stayed at. The Sheraton is definitely in the "upper class" of the available properties for JFK airport and for this reason if you wish for the Starwood level perks in the market, it's a solid choice. The hotel didn't overwhelm the senses, but nor did it disappoint at all.

I arrived via taxi from La Guardia. Check-in was easy and the staff was really friendly. From the front desk I grabbed a menu from my go-to delivery place when I'm in JFK, Sofia Pizza. The lobby was bustling and warm. Lots of airline crew were coming and going. There is a restaurant on the lobby level but I didn't visit or order at anytime. Aside from the having really slow elevators, getting to my room was also easy. The room itself felt was a bit on the basic side in terms of the decor and furniture (not a fan of the stand up armoire for hanging my items), but like most, I was here for an international to domestic flight connection that necessitated a night layover. The bathroom was nicely designed with white tiles and polished metal supports for the sink. A bathroom sans bath tub is always a winner in my book too.

Bedding was Starwood usual; Very comfortable and clean. The internet took a while to grab on my Iphone, but it clicked instantly with my Ipad. All worked out in the end. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to sample the restaurant nor can I comment on the gym facilities either. The next morning I left my luggage with the concierge while I headed into the city. Getting to the city is as simple as asking the van driver for a drop off at Federal Circle where one will connect with the AirTrain. In fact, the Federal Circle station is very close to the hotel itself so if one felt inclined (day light would probably be advisable too) it's a short walk. The shuttle van runs twice hourly to the airport. That timing seems to be pretty much standard for JFK hotels.

Later in the day I collected my luggage and I headed to JFK. The staff was just as friendly at that time as they had been during check-in. While one will definitely pay a premium for this property at JFK, I think the price is worth it for the piece of mind and predictability that comes with the Starwood experience. JFK for some reason has a large share of budget type hotels and not as many more upscale brands. If the premium is worth it to you, then I'd give strong consideration to the Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Regional Roadie,

Thank your for taking the time out to give us a well detailed review on Trip Advisor. We're glad you enjoyed your time with staying at our facility and the amenities that comes with it. We do hope the next time you're in town you will be able to try out our restaurant Rosemary. Our Sheraton Fitness is available 24 hours with your room key, if you should ever need access if time permits you.

Thank you again for choosing the Sheraton JFK, we look forward to having you back soon.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

With snow and our coach breaking down we stayed at this property. There was 8 of us, tired and cold. The desk staff was wonderful. Both the evening and morning staff. The kitchen stayed open a little later so we could grab a light meal before retiring for the evening. I thought the menu that evening and for breakfast was a little expensive. Service was very good. The dining room/bar was cold and unwelcoming.

The rooms were very nicely done. Surprisingly quiet being so close to JFK. The beds were very comfortable. Bathroom door was odd, Double French doors?? The shuttle staff was very helpful and courteous. I would definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GiGi14216
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Allison J,
Thank you for your kind comment and for sharing your enjoyable stay with us.
The Sheraton JFK team was so happy to have you as a guest with us, and we are pleased to hear that we succeeded in making your experience memorable.
The whole staff here at the Sheraton was happy to serve you and provide you with the high level of service that we are proud to provide our guests with.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Regards,