“Very Impressed”
Review of Super 8 Ithaca

Super 8 Ithaca
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I stayed at this Super 8 for one night in March of this year. I was throughly impressed. The hotel was spotless, my main concern, and the staff cheerful and very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay in Ithaca. I have stayed at many Super 8 / Motel 6 types of places and this one was definitely the best thus far.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyBugTraveler_7
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Ithaca

Reviewed August 10, 2007

The good first: the night desk clerk, and morning desk clerk, both women, were considerate, kind & helpful.

The rest of the story: We arrive around 9:00 PM for a one night stay. The smell of mildew throughout the entire first floor hallway was overpowering, but we figured we'd check out the room to see if it was bearable as it was too late to consider going elsewhere (we already knew that many/most other places were full). We opened the room to find beds unmade with linens piled in a heap on the floor. The kind staff person found a second floor room for us and apologized for the inconvenience.

Though the hallway upstairs was just as dark & gloomy looking, the smell on the second floor wasn't quite as bad so we decided to stay (what choice did we have with two little kids in tow?) What a depressing night. The carpet looked and felt dirty, there were large stains on the chairs, tiles were mildewed & stained, and the double bed sagged horribly. To add insult to injury, they were doing road work outside the hotel, so we were woken by construction equipment early the next day.

I am absolutely mystified by the positive reviews this place got. I've stayed in other "no frills" hotels (really all we needed was a place to sleep for a few hours) but this was really unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank PhotographTheWorld
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This hotel is definitely a Five Star Hotel that is so clean, it made me feel that I paid too little for a room that was neat, clean and no problems. The front desk was extremely helpful and the benefits of being in the hotel were much more than I ever expected to get in another hotel. I am even using the free Internet in this hotel to send this message. They have a free breakfast, free Internet with paper to print out information, free exercise room and great cable TV. This is the best kept secret in Ithaca and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank RobChase12
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We too stayed here during IC orientation. We arrived at 2:30 on an extremly hot Monday. We were told by the rather cold desk clerk that our room wasn't ready. Check in is 3:00 so I had no problem and figured we'd still have time to unpack and get up to the college for 4:00. Finally at 3:45, with the room still not available we had to leave for the college. Returning at 5:30 another equaly cold desk clerk told us our room wasn't ready. When I indicated fairly strongly that we'd been told the same thing 2 hours earlier and assured we'd have it when we returned the room was suddenly ready in about 5 minutes. We were very satisfied with the room when we got it and the location couldn't be beat. Unfortunatly, the air conditioner kept shutting off during the night (temps were in the high 90's the three days we were in Ithaca) and I had to keep getting up to struggle to get it on again. I told the desk about it that morning and they said they'd have it checked. Next night same temps and same AC problems. On checking out I mentioned it again expecting perhaps the offer of a discount but no offer was made.
Had we not encountered the above problems I would say we were very satisfied with this motel and probably would give them a second chance, but they need to improve the effort put forth by some of their staff and be a little more accomodating to their guests.
Also, I booked through their web site but never received my emailed confirmation. A few days later I called to make sure I was confirmed. After several seemingly confused minutes they said I was confirmed but gave me a different conf. # than the one given to me when i finished booking on the web site. A couple of days prior to heading out to Ithaca i called again to confirm and everything was in order, Check your confirmation! I overheard some people at the front desk being told there were no rooms available for them despite their claims of having reserved rooms.

2  Thank Dotsman2000
Reviewed July 27, 2007

After reading other reviews, we decided to give the Super 8 a try. We were not disappointed. Stayed 3 nights and our room was very pleasant - clean and fresh smelling. Bed was very comfy. Bathroom very clean. Staff very helpful with restaurants, and all other needs. Continental breakfast average. Coffee any time of day. I will stay again if I am in the area. I think it is Ithaca's best kept little secret!

Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed here during our son's college orientation. Staff was very friendly and the place was clean and pretty comfortable, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend it. If you want frills and luxury, it's not the place for you. We thought the value was good, especially since other hotels in the area seem pretty pricey.

1  Thank TakeMeToTheBeach13
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Recently refurbished and everything is new and clean. Nice staff.
However, it is very bare-bones, ( e.g. no closets in rooms) so I don't think it is a very good value.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family