“Made Me Feel Special”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Richmond Hill, NY
“Made Me Feel Special”
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This hotel is definitely a Five Star Hotel that is so clean, it made me feel that I paid too little for a room that was neat, clean and no problems. The front desk was extremely helpful and the benefits of being in the hotel were much more than I ever expected to get in another hotel. I am even using the free Internet in this hotel to send this message. They have a free breakfast, free Internet with paper to print out information, free exercise room and great cable TV. This is the best kept secret in Ithaca and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank RobChase12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
Berkshire County
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We too stayed here during IC orientation. We arrived at 2:30 on an extremly hot Monday. We were told by the rather cold desk clerk that our room wasn't ready. Check in is 3:00 so I had no problem and figured we'd still have time to unpack and get up to the college for 4:00. Finally at 3:45, with the room still not available we had to leave for the college. Returning at 5:30 another equaly cold desk clerk told us our room wasn't ready. When I indicated fairly strongly that we'd been told the same thing 2 hours earlier and assured we'd have it when we returned the room was suddenly ready in about 5 minutes. We were very satisfied with the room when we got it and the location couldn't be beat. Unfortunatly, the air conditioner kept shutting off during the night (temps were in the high 90's the three days we were in Ithaca) and I had to keep getting up to struggle to get it on again. I told the desk about it that morning and they said they'd have it checked. Next night same temps and same AC problems. On checking out I mentioned it again expecting perhaps the offer of a discount but no offer was made.
Had we not encountered the above problems I would say we were very satisfied with this motel and probably would give them a second chance, but they need to improve the effort put forth by some of their staff and be a little more accomodating to their guests.
Also, I booked through their web site but never received my emailed confirmation. A few days later I called to make sure I was confirmed. After several seemingly confused minutes they said I was confirmed but gave me a different conf. # than the one given to me when i finished booking on the web site. A couple of days prior to heading out to Ithaca i called again to confirm and everything was in order, Check your confirmation! I overheard some people at the front desk being told there were no rooms available for them despite their claims of having reserved rooms.

2 Thank Dotsman2000
Southern Maryland
Reviewed July 27, 2007

After reading other reviews, we decided to give the Super 8 a try. We were not disappointed. Stayed 3 nights and our room was very pleasant - clean and fresh smelling. Bed was very comfy. Bathroom very clean. Staff very helpful with restaurants, and all other needs. Continental breakfast average. Coffee any time of day. I will stay again if I am in the area. I think it is Ithaca's best kept little secret!

Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed here during our son's college orientation. Staff was very friendly and the place was clean and pretty comfortable, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend it. If you want frills and luxury, it's not the place for you. We thought the value was good, especially since other hotels in the area seem pretty pricey.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Bed a bit soft
1 Thank TakeMeToTheBeach13
New York City
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Recently refurbished and everything is new and clean. Nice staff.
However, it is very bare-bones, ( e.g. no closets in rooms) so I don't think it is a very good value.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bare-bones
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2007

After reading the favorable reviews on this site, I decided to give the Super 8 in Ithaca a try because of its location. As the mother of a Cornell student, I had previously stayed in many other Ithaca hotels and had always been satisfied with the accommodations and service.

On Friday, July 13, 2007, I arrived at the Super 8 at 5 pm only to be told that my room was not ready yet since two of the housekeeping staff had suddenly quit that day. I was offered the opportunity to wait for a half hour while they cleaned the room I was assigned but decided to go directly to meet up with my daughter and told the desk personnel that I would be back later. I returned after dinner at approximately 8:30 pm and my room was still not ready. I was then offered another room that was already "clean." It was definitely not clean -- the carpet was stained and looked like it had not been vacuumed in weeks and the sheets and comforter were stained. I was tired so I stayed since there was an event in town that weekend and nowhere else that had a room available.

The next morning as I was reading my email before I checked out, I heard a sound at the door and a man burst into the room. I was startled and stood up and he said "housekeeping, sorry." He had not knocked before coming in and there was a "please do not disturb" tag prominently displayed on the door handle. Quite creepy!

I will never stay at the Super 8 again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — free wifi access
  • Disliked — cleanliness and service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank nj102
new Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I Have to tell anyone considering a short stay in Ithaca should give the Super 8 a chance.I have to say it was the first time i ever stayed at someplace other than a high end hotel.I was pleasantly surprised.It was clean,good location to school and town.The fact that it was in walking distance to the wegmans was great .We were able to get some last minute items and a late night snack! I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends