“Very nice service”

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2006

This was a very nice hotel for the price, and the rooms are very comfortable. The best thing though was the service - I did have a few snags with my room (the hairdryer, heating unit and phone all broke during the course of 2 days), but the staff were right on it, and fixed things straight away where possible. The heater couldn't be fixed so they helped me to move to an identical (good corner) room on the next floor up, and gave me vouchers for free food and drink.
If I was going back to Ithaca I would stay there again. I liked the nice touch of the free water and goody bag on arrival for Priority Club members too.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The Hotel Ithaca

Reviewed December 22, 2005

Every year we stay at the Holiday Inn Ithaca during Christmas. The hotel is beautifully decorated and everyone makes us feel so at home. The employess are so pleasant & welcoming. We also stayed here in August for a wedding and it seems like everytime we come back something has been updated/renovated. This hotel just keeps getting better and we will continue to stay here whenever we're in the area.

• Stayed: December 2005
Reviewed August 22, 2005

My daughter and I stayed here August 21st. For $152, I expected a fairly high-quality experience. They put us in a "balcony" room, up a flight of stairs from the lobby with no elevator access. Don't know why they put a window in the room; it looked out onto a wall a foot away. No light came in the window, and the room lighting, even in the bathroom, wasn't bright enough for putting on makeup. This may have been deliberate, to help hide the need for renovation. The window treatment had apparently been changed at some point and the holes in the walls from the old hardware were never filled in. Plaster had come off the ceiling in the bathroom. The metal cover over the tissue box was scratched and corroded. There was grit on the bathroom floor and the edges of the bathroom counter backsplash hadn't been cleaned recently. Getting ice was a major expedition, as this part of the hotel didn't connect to the 10-story tower where the ice machines were located. We had to walk down the stairs to the lobby, down a hall to the elevator, and go up to one of 3 floors where there were ice machines. The hotel may have nicer rooms and we just got unlucky, so if you're going to stay there you might want to inspect the room before accepting it.

Syracuse, NY
Reviewed July 31, 2005

I blocked rooms for my wedding at the Holiday Inn Ithaca mainly b/c it looked nice and it was within walking distance of The Commons/downtown area for my guests. I went two weeks early to drop off packages for the guests to receive upon check-in and a manager called to say that would happen but when we started arriving the day before the wedding, some of the packages and gifts were lost. My parents and brother never even received their gifts, and the front desk returned them to me on Sunday, claiming those three people never checked in, when they actually did stay there and participated in the wedding. My mother reserved 4 rooms for members of our extended family and by Sunday, they could not find my mother in their computer and it took her 45 minutes to check out. (It took over 1/2 hour to check in on a Friday afternoon.) Another member of my party was billed twice for the same meal in the hotel restaurant. My husband and I were locked out of our room when checking out on Sunday because our key suddenly disabled itself. The front desk lost my father-in-law's priority club membership card (the actual card) and did not credit him with the points he shoudl have received.
The bridal suite we were in was very nice and room service was good and helpful, but many of my guests complained about the disorganization.
When looking for a wedding hotel, the Holiday Inn was actually the nicest hotel in Ithaca, but now there is a Hilton Garden Inn just a few blocks away and I would highly recommend that if you're staying in downtown. I'll be trying that one next time.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2004

You have to know what to request when you stay here. Tower rooms or front facing rooms are really nice. Ask for them at time of booking and you'll be fine. The restaurant is terrible...lousy service, undercooked food, expensive and nobody seems to care. I NEVER eat there. Go to a local diner for breakfast. You pay for the location and if you get a good room it's well worth the price.

6  Thank mrsomes
Reviewed July 19, 2004

The Holiday Inn Ithaca recently remodeled all the standard rooms and are now very nice. Along with the new and comfy rooms came an increase in price. I was an employee of Holiday Inn Hotels at the time I stayed and recieved a generous discount. The executive rooms have not yet been renovated so I prefer a standard room, since they are newer. The restaurant is not good for breakfast, and I am not sure about dinner. But if you are in Ithaca why would you want to eat at a hotel restaurant when there are so many other good places. The staff is very nice and accommodating. I have stayed at the property about 8-10 times over the years.

3  Thank spn2200
Reviewed November 1, 2003

I just wanted to get out of this place! Almost all of the rooms face an ugly parking lot, and aren't even nice with that. Most of the rooms are only accesable through a maze of hidden stairwells, and have no elevator service. The only nice rooms here are in the executive tower section, but if youre going to spend the money to stay there, why not go to the statler? Bottom line: If you have the money go to the statler, if you dont, go to the Courtyard.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member