“Not bad for Cornell commencement weekend...they seem to try...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
San Francisco, California
“Not bad for Cornell commencement weekend...they seem to try...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

Stayed here with my parents for my sister's graduation. I can't speak much to the $ value of our stay since every hotel in the area inflates its rates during commencement.

It didn't seem like all of their staff was prepared for the craziness of commencement. The non-management staff (i.e. not Jason? or Glenn) were irritable and even rude, and I really didn't appreciate overhearing two front desk workers complain about another guest while I was sitting in the lobby. Nevertheless, management did a great job serving us the best they could, especially after there was a misunderstanding regarding shuttle availability. I'd say 5 stars for management but 2 stars for the regular front desk personnel.

The rooms are pretty decent. Not luxurious, but perfectly fine for graduation weekend. There's an iron and ironing board. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to add a light to the room's hallway.

Oh yeah, on Friday afternoon they had a complementary reception, where they served shrimp & lobster, chocolate fondue, and wine/champagne. That added a nice touch.

Location is nice...about three blocks away from Ithaca Commons, and a short drive/bus ride from Cornell's campus. Overall, a very convenient choice for commencement--you won't need to rent a car.

• Stayed May 2009
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Central New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

This hotel is in a great location if you need to be in downtown Ithaca. The parking is convenient and ample. The staff was fantastic. I was traveling with a newborn and they checked me in early and let me have late check out... The price was on the high side for me. I was a little disappointed that there was no continental breakfast included like the Hilton or Choice Hotel Chains.. But overall I was happy and would stay again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I chose Holiday Inn Ithaca because it had pretty decent reviews and is conveniently located near Cornell. The staff was very welcoming and helpful in every way. The best part of staying at this hotel is definitely the complimentary shuttle. You just tell them where you need to be and what time, and they will take you there (unless someone else has already booked that time slot) so make sure you let them know where you need to go as early as possible. The shuttle will also pickup/take you to the airport as needed. The hotel staff was also helpful in providing recommendations and directions. The room itself was not the cleanest I've ever been in (not that I actually saw anything gross, but the general feeling was that it could be cleaner). For example, I thought the toilet/showers seemed a bit older and not that clean.. but got the job done nonetheless.

Hotel is located conveniently in Ithaca downtown, fairly close to Ithaca Commons (which seems to be the center of restaurant/shops). If you get a ride to Cornell, it should only take about 5 to 6 minutes.. not really accessible by foot, since it's basically an uphill climb.

I had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant downstairs since it was raining the two days that I was there.. it wasn't the best food I've ever had and I think it is on the expensive side for Ithaca, but again, the service was great!!

In a nutshell, don't expect the Ritz..but a solid no-frills hotel for your money if you are visiting for school.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
st. croix USVI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

Our client paid for our room so we didn't have any input. This might be the best hotel in Ithaca, I can't say since I didn't spend time comparing. I called the hotel directly to request a smoking room, non-smokers will be pleased to know the hotel is entirely non-smoking, not just common areas but all rooms. That's fine, I don't smoke in my own house so not a biggie. Got my room near an exit so I could slip out and smoke. Very clean overall, but needs a bit of updating (e.g. rips in dust ruffle, worn but clean towels, etc.). DO NOT eat food from the sports bar located at the restaurant property. Just don't do it. I would have been better off walking to the nearest convenience store for a 2 day old salad. I ordered a filet with a sherry sauce - the sherry had to be given to a server by the bartender to deliver it to the kitchen in order to prepare the sauce. Hmm, funny, I got the mushroom sauce but I'm guessing the cook (can't say chef here) got the sherry. One quaint observation, around 5pm the manager had a Manager's Welcome in the lobby with cheeses and wines, quite a charming idea.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
bangor, mn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

I ate dinner the first night at the hotel. Their diner (Max's) is average American cuisine with decent prices. Upon checking into my first room there were soiled underwear visible in the curtains as soon as I entered the room. The housekeeping was definitely far below average. The hotel rooms have a worn down feel. They are serviceable, but not great. The service staff are generally friendly. One of the two elevators was broken, I used the stairs. The hotel is centrally located, which is nice.

I travel a lot and have stayed in dozens of hotels. Some of them very old, but updated, hotels like this one. I have never had such a sub-par experience from a supposedly upper tier hotel brand like Holiday Inn. Its not that any one area of the hotel is horribly lacking its just that everything was average to below average. Prices were decent, rooms and cleanliness were just alright. I just don't appreciate when housekeeping fail basic issues like picking up underwear and drink bottles from previous guests. They did respond and get me a new room and some meal vouchers rather quickly, but I would rather not have to deal with situations like that as a frequent traveler.

This is probably my worst hotel experience in the last couple of years. I highly recommend you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn across town if it is available. However, if you have to stay here it is not the end of the world.

• Liked — The treadmills were nice
  • Disliked — The soiled underpants in my room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Rochester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

Lights are blown in several places, toilet seat is broken, doors are worn, scum in the corners.... in short your stay will entail constant maintenance requests to the front desk. To top it off, both elevators were down. Yes, both.

There are cobwebs between the curtains and windows. Come on people, cob webs?

Oh, and while it would be unreasonable to expect decent complementary breakfast, palatable would be nice.

In short, if your only other option has roaches crawling on the wall in the brochure pictures, this is a good option. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Negative stars would be more fitting.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank returnthis
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the H.I. Ithaca for 3 nights in mid-September. We stayed in Room 491 (in the tower section), a room that faces a parking garage, but does offer a slight view of the Cornell U. campus on the hill overlooking town. Since we were there for work we payed the gov't rate of $106 per night (more about that later).
Check-in was smooth and efficient and we were quickly in our room on the 4th floor. The room itself was ok - the carpet looked surprisingly fresh and the place was clean, although the furniture, the bathroom, the fixtures, and the walls all looked just a little tired. I don't think it would take much to modernize these rooms, but they do feel a little dated by today's standard.
We didn't really make much use of any of the hotel's facilties like the pool or the restaurant so I can't really comment on them, however I can say that the hotel is located downtown near some decent restaurants and shops, but it is quite a hike (up hill) to the Cornell campus (the H.I. provides a shuttle if needed).
The biggest complaint we had about the H.I. was with regards the elevators. There are 2 servicing the tower part of the hotel and it seemed that over the course of 3 days at least 1 of them was broken at all times, and during our last night both of them were broken. In fairness to the H.I. they compensated us by deducting a night's charge from our hotel bill for the incovenience of walking up/down the emergency staircase.
Overall, the Holiday Inn Ithaca ended up being a cheap place to stay due to the compensation (it came to approx $75 night inc. tax), but it should be noted that this is a hotel that could be better than it is.

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Disliked — Elevators, Slightly dated feel to the place
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business