“Nice. But needs a little oomph to make it worthwhile.”
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Comfy beds, roomy room, good pillows, lovely accessories in the bathroom.
We had a room designated handicapped, and that usually means a larger bathroom. In this case, it was rather large, and the grab bars were well-placed, but there is a tub, and that could mean it would be impossible for some of us to shower.
Single-serve coffee maker in the room with decent coffee, but those little packs of one sugar and one creamer were insufficient. Two paper cups, 2 sugar packs, 2 car and 2 decaf. Miserly, a bit.
Free parking in rear of hotel, directly behind the room, which was convenient. I would have liked a higher floor, but handicapped rooms are almost always on the ground or first floor for safety, so we couldn't have that.
Although the room was designated nonsmoking, the smell of cigarette smoke was in the hall. Joe, the front desk clerk, very helpful to us, noted this when he assisted us to our room.
I will say that the highlight of this hotel was Joe, who helped us with luggage and suggestions. Came by himself to give us more coffee and sugar packets late at night.
In a hotel that clearly would like to be known as a little upscale (look around a pleasant lobby) stinting on room and staff does not help the reputation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maxene923

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Visited recently and when I checked in I asked for a room at a higher floor. I was told by receptionist that the rate meant the room was NOT in the tower. Front reception was not particularly friendly and did not offer other rooms or rates. I asked two women to confirm that room was not smoking and it did NOT smell like smoke and she stared at me and then changed my room assignment! I guess you can rent smokey non-smoking rooms. I had purchased "best available rate" and did not see other options online. Room was clean but bathroom layout is like a motel with sink in room and shower and toilet seperate. there was construction so if it had not been for really pleasent asian maid's help we never would have found our room. Hotel employees were smoking in a little pen like enclosed area outside our window which was disturbing early in morning (hearing voices and smelling smoke). I just now revisted their website and you really have to dig to find that yes there are other rooms in the tower and they are $30 more. It should not be hidden. I would have paid. The photo gallery on landing page does not show older building rooms they show only TOWER ROOMS - which would lead a normal person to believe that all rooms were the same. Showing the Nice rooms only on landing page and then the not at nice room price at booking section - unless you drill to select specific rooms - is a bit misleading. Look carefully and make sure you are booking room you wanted!

Room Tip: Make sure room is really non-smoking AND doesnt reek by asking. Make sure that if you want the rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
amyh238, Sales Administrator at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not fully meet with your expectations. Our rates do tend to fluctuate depending on room type and availability at time of booking. We have currently updated our Tower rooms and are in the process of updating a portion of our rooms in the main building as well. Therefore our website has been in the ongoing stages of being updated and showcasing the quality of our new product with more still to come! I would like to mention that our hotel is a 100% non-smoking hotel, however sometimes guests do smoke in the rooms and while we do our best to rid these rooms of the smell of smoke we sometimes unsuccessful in our efforts. While it is our intention to provide our guests with an exceptional level of service, cleanliness and quaility of its product we sometimes fall short of our goals. We do thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We were expecting a 5 star hotel for the price we paid - 300.00 per night, but what we got was a moldy bathroom, uncomfortable pillows, dingy room, slow drainage of sink water and poor customer service. However there was a free happy hour in lobby and they did discount the room upn request. Will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
Amy H, Sales Administrator at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay with us. We do however appreciate hearing your comments and I would like to apologize for the room issues you experienced. We will address these points and take the necessary actions so that our future guests do not encounter a similar situation. It is our best intention to provide all of our guests with guality customer service at all times and I am truly sorry if we fell short of this during your visit. Although our rates tend to fluctuate on special event weekends such as graduation we do strive to provide competitive rates within the area. I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with the discount issued toward your room and that you were able to enjoy our complimentary guest reception in our lobby during your visit. I do hope you will reconsider staying with us again and give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I get it. It is supply and demand On cornell events, demand swamps them and they can charge whatever they want ( the panel on the door says they can charge $86 to $2200 for our room facing the parking lot!) we were charged $279 for a nice, clean, but really an $86 motel room. I just booked the Bellagio for the same price...book your cornell events way in advance!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate hearing both the positive and negative feedback from our guests. Our rates do tend to fluctuate in higher demand times. I would also like to mention the rate panel on the back of our guest room doors indicates the price range for all of our guest rooms in the hotel, which covers all room types from low season (November through end of March) and high season (April through end of October), as well as special event dates such as parents weekends and graduations. While I understand you were disappointed in the rate, you did mention that your accommodations were clean and in nice condition, which we do appreciate hearing. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

A very comfortable hotel, close to many restaurants, and interesting shops. Staff were very helpful, and friendly. Room was spacious and clean. Short drive to Ithaca College. Short walk to Ithaca Commons.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ADK4
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It is always a pleasure to hear such positive comments from our guests. We are happy that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that you will be our guest again on your next visit to the Ithaca area.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Even though Holiday Inn is still all over this property, it is not a Holiday Inn and no Holiday Inn would have such sad service. I travel constantly for work, I am not a prima donna or a demanding tourist. But I do show up early often, just because I want to drop off my luggage early before a meeting either in a room or often with a bellhop and speed up getting in later.
So I walk in at 10:45am and instead of being given a room (which is often the case) with the usual gracious reminder that check in is much later or an offer to check me in and give me a room later, I had to deal with all sorts of crap. First was a lecture on check in times, then a well, we may be able to get you in but charge you a day rate (good grief) then a "go away, we have no idea if we have any rooms available".
No offer to get the paperwork done or check my bags, even when I said that is what is normal. So I had to drag all my stuff back out to the parking lot. Fast forward, I come back at 8pm. I don't even think to drop my bags because there are big Fire Lane signs at the front door. So I go back to the back and unload. The back door from the parking lot is locked, so I have to drag my bags clear around the building in a dark driveway worried that at any moment a car will come careering around. So I get back in, and it still takes fifteen minutes to check in. Then I am asked if I want first or second floor. i say second, then when I am wandering the hall I realize there is no elevator and have to drag my stuff up the grimy stairs. Don't they even vaccum here? Then the next morning when I am leaving and trying to balance my stuff going down the steps, the cleaning people coming up the stairs made me get out of their way, instead of waiting for me. I really am not going back. No chain hotel is so inhospitable.
So, as for the room. It was acceptably clean and furnished with fine towels. The free internet worked fine. But I am still really annoyed at the treatment. Next time I will go back to the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank CSSnowshoer
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Please let me assure you it is our intention to provide our guests with comfortable and elegant surroundings, as well as a sincere, friendly and professional staff with the desire to make your stay with us a pleasant experience, however we sometimes fall short of our goals. I appreciate hearing your feedback which allows me the opportunity to share your comments and concerns with the appropriate staff/departments to make sure our future guests do not encounter a similar situation. I am happy to hear that your room and its furnishings, as well as the complimentay internet service met your expectations. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to regain your confidence by letting us extend our hospitality and services that all of our guests are deserving of on your next visit to the area. If you would like to discuss your stay with me any further please feel free to contact me at any time.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Hotel desk staff were helpful and friendly,I had a room in the newly refurbished tower , the beds were comfortable and the was very nice, excellent bathroom and shower! And the bar in the lobby was good too!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank John M

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I have passed along your praise to our front desk associates. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will allow us the pleasure to extend our hospitality and services to you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Bradley ZImmer, GM