“Good news: decor; bad news property”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Ithaca, New York
“Good news: decor; bad news property”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

HI has tried to update this very dated property - lobby lovely, rooms leave much to be desired. I asked for the room the front desk mgr would choose for herself. Right off lobby and main corridor, 1st floor. Door not fully closed by ? Housekeeper -swells and must be forced closed. Old smoke smell greeted me. Room decor somewhat welcoming. Dirty, dirty window sills over noisy room ac/heat source. View - my car parked outside my window. Checked bed for bugs - always do that - and found mattress pad very deteriorated. Clearly not laundered regularly - would not have made it thru washer in one piece. Dirty glass rings on the night stand from previous occupant. Towels folded to look cute.

Internet use password used month and date. So on 9/30 @ midnight my login no longer worked for my am of 10/1. huh?..... This must happen about 12 times per year......

$170/night. No re-fridge, dated, not cleaned well, linens very shabby. 3block walk to attractions dark and with minimal foot traffic. Would only return if I had to. Hilton Garden Inn 2 blocks away, $40/night more, clean, fresh, friendly - very worth price difference.

Room Tip: Can't offer one. Front office mgr placed me in her room of choice and you have seen what that yi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Reluctantbsnstravel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Holiday Inn Ithaca is a clean hotel in a good part of Ithaca, downtown, 2 blocks from the Commons, a nice multi-block section of shops where the street is permanently a pedestrian mall.

15-20 years ago, he Holiday Inn was THE premium hotel in Ithaca (excluding Cornell's Statler Hotel). I stayed in the two-story section, which seems more dated than the tower.

The room was generally clean. Decent size. But dated decor. Parking lot was full, but spots were available across the street. AC unit was quite noisy.

I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MPCLDC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear MPCLDC,

Ferdinand G
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The first room I was given smelled like a musty basement, I asked to be changed and they were very amenable and apologetic. The second room I was given had some nice surprises for me. A non-working heater, a toilet that ran all night, a dirty band aid on the floor.....and a PUBE on the sink! Gross!! I mentioned all this to the front desk the following morning and again, they were very nice and apologized by giving me a coupon for a free breakfast. They assured me that they would make sure the cleaning staff did a good job on the room while I was gone for the day. Well....just got back and there's still someone else's dirty bandaid on the floor. Seriously gross is all I can say.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Robyn R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Robyn R,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our hotel. We really appreciate that feedback you have given us as we are always looking for ways we can improve. We take great pride in having a clean hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services. We are really disappointed to hear about your experience particularly the poor cleanliness of the room accommodations you encountered. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.

Zelyn N
Buffalo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I first stayed here in May of last year and my review is posted for that period. Since then I have stayed twice more this year including last week and want to add a couple more observations. First while the location is nice in terms of being in the middle of town with movie and performing theaters, bars, restuarants, banks, transportation center, dirt mall etc there is a significant amount of street people that tend to hang out near the hotel grounds and sometimes on as well. Cayuga st kind of has an interestinv turnover of people at night. There is a security guy Jay who keeps an eye on things. Second the first floor rooms are just fine. Really need in room fridge however and easier access to ice machine. As far as being over priced if you can't book a room here for 60bux on a travel site look harder. They really push the bar/restaurant Maxs on ya. Don't remember the place being that overpriced when I stayed last year. Maybe they were trying to keep out the street people who seemed to inhabit it the first time I stayed.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank tsar811
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear tsar811,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Boston area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very nice Holiday Inn, with courteous and helpful staff. They provided directions, assistance in the computer center, shuttle service to Cornell and there was even a very nice Manager's Reception in the lobby, serving appetizers on Friday evening. My family enjoyed the pool and fitness center. I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ithaca.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Riverside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was able to get a walk in on the busiest weekend, with discount from rack rate. Best is to stay in the tower, the rooms are a bit smaller in the older 2-story section. Clean and well maintained, helpful staff. Good fresh coffee in the morning, but no breakfast. On the other hand, you are just a few minutes walk from many great eateries. Good location near State Street mall, access to highways, few minutes drive to university.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower if you can, further up the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I booked our reservation through Hotwire, so we didn't know which hotel we were getting. Once booked, I read other reviews and was a little concerned about staying here for two nights. I read that the main building rooms were not great, and the noise level was a concern due to the parking lot and proximity to the main street, and also due to parties that would take place often.

But we stayed there on a Tuesday and Wednesday evening, and we had a great experience. I called and inquired about the rooms a few days before we arrived and the staff person told us that usually when you book through Hotwire or any other third party site you're automatically placed in the main building, not the Tower rooms. So we didn't make a big deal - just figured we'd make the most of it. I just casually inquired about this again when we checked in and the hotel rep said that it was not busy that week, so he upgraded us to the Tower rooms without making us pay extra (we had gotten a deal due to booking through Hotwire). It was a great! We loved the location - walked to stores, restaurants, etc. It's very close to Cornell University, and easy access to numerous state parks if you like to hike.

There was enough space in the parking lot - there's additional parking as well, so it was not a problem. But again, we were there during the week so it was not busy. It was very comfortable and peaceful. The staff was great, location was perfect.

I can't recommend the main building since I didn't stay there, but if you get the Tower rooms I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience :-)

Room Tip: Request the Tower rooms if you're booking directly through the hotel. If you're booking fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerHIIthaca, Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We appreciate that you were able to take the time to review our hotel and are happy that we had the availability to upgrade you and your husband upon checkin. Hopefully if you are back in the Ithaca area again we will see you again!