“Great staff, that's about all though”
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great staff, that's about all though”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The staff at the front desk and the hotel shuttle were great - friendly and always willing to help. I don't have much else great to say about the hotel. It is old - as others mentioned - in bad need of an update. The carpet is this old green color with gold/yellow stripes that just looks so dirty (maybe that was just the color and the poor lighting, but it was dingy). The pillows were lumpy (but they did have choice of hard or soft lumps). The shower was okay (always hot water), but the bathroom (and other places) was not the cleanest. On the top it was okay, but in every corner there was dirt.
I was there for a conference and the meetings rooms were strange - one you had to go through the restaurant for. I have seen this set up before, but there were multiple problems as a result. For one, the restaurant was nearly empty, but they seated one poor family right by the door to our conference. So as they are eating, about 30 of us start to walk by them. Why that table when all others were empty? Worse for us though - was the connecting room where staff was working. They started playing loud music and yelling to each other to the point we had to get up and go into their area to find them and ask them to stop (which to their credit, they did).
Other issues - the parking lot is bizarre - around the back, and you can't get in without a key. So when we arrived, we made the mistake of parking before we checked in. Thanks to a random sole in the parking lot who used his key to let us in or we would have been walking through a gas station lot to get around with our luggage.
As for location - not bad for downtown - easy walking distance to some good restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Lisa H,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Also, we appreciate your compliments regarding our staff.

I am truly sorry to hear your issues with some items in your room and the inconvenience you have encountered with our meeting room set up. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction and discomfort these aspects have caused you.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you can give us another chance so we can show you what we have done.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed for a group trip-a reunion of sorts-where we had an awesome time overall- the hotel was fine for what we were doing but don't expect much out of the rooms, even if the price is over 200 a night.

Start with the qualifiers that choices up in central NY aren't great obviously, and really, it's a different standard of living up there and you shouldn't be there to be in the room anyway (unless you are unfortunately on business but in that cause you should be at the Hilton Garden Inn) but I think the frustration comes from the value relative to the price.

Yes the location is right downtown and you can walk to everything-also parking is plentiful as others have mentioned however the rooms are really shot. I even had one of their "newly renovated rooms" and it was not at all new looking. Carpet was still old, green and beat, and the bathroom, although looked updated, still could have used some better fixtures and what not. If this place wasn't located where it was and in Ithaca specifically, I;d give it two stars.

So it was 200 per night (and that was a group rate). Ithaca festival was going on and so maybe that was part of the justification for the price but also because this is the season to be up in Ithaca. Lots of people come in for the weekend to hike the falls and do the outdoors stuff so they gotta rake it in while they can I guess.

People, like most all in Ithaca were wonderful, friendly and accommodating. Overall for the short amount of time we were in the room it was fine. Stay there if the Hilton isn't available or you want to save a few bucks and keep the location

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Gpards,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Holiday Inn Ithaca Downtown, NY. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Despite the challenges you faced I was pleased to note that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Devon
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My room was on the first floor, along the road connecting the two parking lots. Very noisy. The vanity had a large crack in it, as did the ceiling above the bed. The linens were thin and yellowed at the edges. There was a connecting door to the adjacent room which was warped and couldn't be properly locked. At $200 + for a single queen, I'd try elsewhere next time. Scary!

Green Features: I did not notice any environmentally friendly practices. I would assume they have the reuse towel policy in place.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear 4boyzpadevon,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the outside noise. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Conyers, Georgia
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here April, 2013 for a conference at Cornell. The hotel offers a free shuttle from and to the airport and to Cornell. I was fortunate to get Dannelle as my shuttle driver. She is a local and was able to share a lot of information about her hometown. The other hotel staff were quite friendly as well and were very attentive to our needs. My room was clean, but showed signs of needing to be renovated. The carpet was worn, but appeared clean. The decor was nice and the bed was comfortable. The Wi-Fi is free. My only concern was the slow drain in the bathtub. The hotel has a glass elevator and i was able to get a couple of really nice shots of the city. The hotel is located across from The Commons which is a shopping area full of restaurants and quaint little shops. Food choices were great there, but unfortunatley I did not enjoy the meals I got from any of the restaraunts and this includes the hotel restaurant, Maxx. I did quite a bit of walking looking for waterfalls and felt very comfortable walking through the various neighborhoods. Dewitt Mall is a short 10 minute walk and there were always people out and about. Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on higher level floors in the Tower for best views of the city
Central NJ
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was recently stayed at Holiday Inn Downtown Ithaca for a conference at Cornell University as the Statler was sold out. The lobby is great, they offer free wi-fi and free parking on location. A shuttle if offered; but that seemed to be hit or miss. The hallway corridors are dark to dingy, the rooms are questionable and have a hint of dirtiness about them. You will however, have a quiet comfortable sleep with a so so resturaunt on the premises. Overall I enjoyed my stay in the area based on the ease of highway access, location to shops/resturaunts and the great staff that make up for what the rooms may lack. For a short stay, I'd give it another shot.

1 Thank NJM0Mof1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear NJM0Mof1,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. I am delighted to know you enjoyed your overall experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed at this property many times over the years. Great staff and a great location. I had a room in the tower. Great view of Cornell University. Huge windows...plenty of light. Room was clean and super comfortable. Free Wi-Fi and parking. Great location near the Commons.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here several times. We usual visit Ithaca at least once a year for the huge used book sale (visit booksale.org for more info), sometimes staying overnight, sometimes not. When we do choose to spend the night, we like the Holiday Inn for its extremely convenient location--it's right next to The Commons, and area full of shopping and restaurants, and it's also just off the expressway for easy access. (It has its own parking lot as well, an added bonus.) Otherwise, this hotel is just okay: the rooms are somewhat old and shabby (although if you are lucky, you might get one with a beautiful view of Cornell University or Cayuga Lake), and the restaurant is just average. I would recommend this hotel with caution; depending on your expectations, this might be a good choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear btobey,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am very pleased to know that our location was convenient for your needs. However, I'd like to apologize that our room accommodations were not completely to your liking. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,