“Avoid the spa - horrible management”

La Tourelle Hotel, Bistro, Spa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited August Moon spa for a day of pampering during our recent Finger Lakes vacation. Unfortunately, the morning we booked, I had a migraine and had to re-schedule for the following day. My friend took care of rescheduling for the next day and all was set. When we arrived for our appointment the next day we were informed that we were an hour late and would be charged a cancellation fee from the day prior ($40 x 2) and a rescheduling fee ($20 x 2) for being late and "rescheduling" the day of. My type-A project manager friend discussed the situation with the manager and finally reached resolution – i.e., we accepted fault for missing the day prior, but the "re-scheduling" the day of was a mistake on their end. August Moon agreed to only charge us a rescheduling fee (in lieu of a cancellation fee) of $40 total.

Upon checkout, the manager had already left and the receptionist told us that we would be charged the full set of fees ($120!). We went through the whole story again with no resolve. However, once the receptionist checked the computer, she found that our story was correct (i.e., $40 in fees). Sheesh!

So here, I thought I was said and done. Upon reviewing my credit card bill a couple of weeks later, I noticed that there were two August Moon charges on my credit card – a spa service fee (including the agreed upon $40 in fees) as well as a separate charge for $120 for cancellation/rescheduling fees (so yes, that is a total of $160 in fees)! I called August Moon and the manger promptly credited my credit card and apologized. Okay, maybe they have it together now…

Fast forward another two weeks. ANOTHER $120 charge shows up on my credit card! We call again, the manager apologizes and now I'm waiting on another credit. Let's hope this is not going to happen again.

On the service side, the spa services were nice… nothing extraordinary, but a nice morning at the spa (facial and massage) aside from the management side of things. To top it off, the scatterbrained manager kept getting mine and my friend's names and services mixed up. We had to tell her numerous times.

All in all, due to the ongoing hassle in dealing with the management team and the extraneous changes I would not recommend this spa. Find another spa in the area – they do not have it together!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank USParisian

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here two nights and really enjoyed. The happy hour free wine was a plus. They keep filling up your glass for the hour so be careful about driving afterwards. Location close to Ithaca downtown and Cornell. Very, very comfortable bed with great views. Large updated bathroom. Great service. Would come back, of course

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bjthaler
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I were just married here this past weekend. It was the most amazing weekend and all of our friends and family had a wonderful time. All of the rooms are beautiful, unique, spacious, clean and the beds are the most comfortable beds ever. They have everything you need right on location. The setting is beautiful, the staff is friendly and very accomodating. Eileen was so helpful through the whole wedding planning process. We had a short ceremony in one of the gazebo's and the cocktail hour and reception following. It was so nice that everyone could spread out across the patio or beautiful lawn and ponds on site. The food was absolutely amazing. We decided not to do a tasting prior to the event however we were not disappointed. Everything was delicous. I can't wait to go back for future anniversaries, it is a very special place!! The Yellow Barn was also a neat place. My parents rented this 3 bedroom suite and it was the perfect place to host visitors for cocktails or coffee and bagels. Also since they have a quiet policy at 10pm this was perfect as we could be as loud as we wanted and did not disturb any of the guests staying at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Megan S
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have stayed at this Resort several times and had dinner at on-premise restaurant.
Also, we enjoy the in-house spa for various treatments. Top notch surroundings for rooms, spa and restaurant and also near Ithaca College.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view. We chose the King with fireplace.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank greenmachinenewyork
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We decided on a last minute weekend with 3 friends in the Finger Lakes for a wine tour. We found this hotel on a wine tour website and was extremely pleased with our find. Arrived just in time for their complimentary wine in the afternoon. The staff is wonderful and so accommodating. Our room was large with 2 King beds and a wonderful fireplace. Very clean and the bedding and mattresses were extremely comfortable. The bistro breakfast was wonderful, grounds beautiful and great walking trails throughout the grounds. Make sure you allow time for a spa treatment or just make some time to relax in their wonderful spa relaxing rooms. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank pattys1231
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff was beyond friendly and accommodating. There are nice trails to hike behind the resort and a peaceful area to relax with a pond. The location is a few miles out of Ithaca, but the natural backdrop and peaceful getaway is a trade off for sure. The Simply Red Bistro has the best brunch with delicious food. The August Moon Spa there is phenomenal and we will definitely return. I can honestly say it was the best massage of my life

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here over the Labor Day Weekend with our German Sheperd. The pet friendly wing was perfect. We had our own deck with acres of green lawn to walk our dog. The room was nice, big, and well appointed. It was very quiet too. The room was very clean and didn't smell of previous pet visits.The hotel has a happy hour in the lobbby from 5-6 pm featuring several local wines. We tried 4 of them and liked two enough to want to go see the wineries they came from. The first night we wanted to try the steak restaurant onsite. We had been on the road for 6 hours and didn't want to drive into town. I would recommend the restaurant as the steak was very good. We ate breakfast at their other onsite restaurant and it was very good also.
We didn't try the spa because we didn't want to lose a minute of sightseeing on this our first trip to the Finger Lakes with the weather being so great. We did do one of the recommended hikes to the little lake nearby and found the trail easy to hike. We can't say enough about how well the staff treated us and our dog. When I asked about paying for someone to walk our dog that we left behind one day because of the heat Ashley at the front desk walked our dog and wouldn't take any money for her services. You can't hardly find that kind of service anywhere in the US hotel system. It thoughtfulness like that that will bring us back next time we visit. If you want a friendly, classy and quiet place while in Ithaca it would be hard to find a better place than La Tourelle.

Room Tip: If you have a dog be sure and get one of the two rooms that have a private deck.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple