“Acceptable stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
North American East Coast
“Acceptable stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2006

I hadn't read any of the reviews prior to staying here, so my notes aren't tainted by the negative opinions previously posted.

The hotel is not at all unattractive as you pull into the parking lot. It's located on a busy crossroads next to Rte 13, close to a number of popular dining and shopping options. There is a porte-cochere at the the entrance that facilitates unloading your vehicle during inclement weather. Unfortunately the design of the property is such that, unless you are assigned a room close to the lobby, you'll most likely want to use a closer entrance from which to carry your luggage. Some of these entries necessitate entering a corridor only to have to exit another exterior door to access stairs leading to the second floor. Describing this circuitous route is almost as complicated as having to complete it.

The lobby is indeed dark, but done up in dark wood panelling that is meant to invoke an English gentleman's club type atmosphere. There is a restaurant off to one side of the lobby that is the 7 time recipient of an award as the “best (Sunday) brunch in Ithaca”. Its price is certainly attractive enough at $6.95 for breakfast and $8.95 for lunch. I wasn't able to test it for myself as I was staying here on a weekday.

The room I occupied, a 2 bedded double non-smoking, was ample in size, clean and with 2 very inviting beds featuring comfortable pillow top mattresses and attractive comforters and linens. The bed provided me with the best night's sleep I had over my10 night trip. Furnishings were typical “motel” style. Not quite in the same league as a Hyatt, Hilton or even Hampton Inn. The carpeting was stain free and in good shape, as were the drapes. The A/C was a wall mounted unit, relatively quiet and effective in keeping the room at my desired temperature. The one glaring weak spot was the bathroom. While clean and in good repair, it was outdated by at least a couple of decades...if not in age, then in design. The Formica vanity and powder blue wall tiles reminded me of that in my parent's country cottage, built in the early 70's. An investment here would be a definite boost.

The property also had an indoor and an outdoor pool. Unusual for a property of this calibre. While I didn't use either, the outdoor pool area was quite attractive and boasted a number of lounger chairs set alongside the inner grassy courtyard.

In conclusion, I would be happy to stay here again. I'd be even happier if the bathrooms were remodeled.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank hotel.detective

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2006

Where do I begin....when I arrived, the hotel looked ok, but then I went to my room, which was very outdated. Then I went to the "pool" to relax. The pool was tinted green and smelled of bacteria. So I decided to use the jacuzzi, which was broken as was the sauna. So I decided to workout on the Precor machine, which was also broken. The front desk is aware of all of these probelms, yet, they are not repaired. Why are all of the doors to the Ramada left unlocked? Even the remote back entrance that I came into was unlocked. Fortunately, they let me check out and go to the Holiday Inn, which was great and had a beautiful pool. Very disappointed with this Ramada!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank SSNY

Travelers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Ramada for two nights attending a business meeting. We were quite nervous about the hotel after reading the above reviews!! We did agree that the hotel needs a redo and our room was a bit on the dark side especially in the front entrance. The entrance needs a light in the ceiling by the clothes closet.

Other then these two small complaints we found the hotel to be clean and the food was very good especially the Sunday brunch!! We did not have time to check out the pool or fitness room.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
North of Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2005

My room was quite worn and dark. And the toilet had not been cleaned well...and possibly not at all. Ugh. Moreover, I had to wear my shoes in the shower. The only redeeming thing about this hotel was its pet policy. Sadly, even my dog was disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank WeekendWedding
North Carolina, US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2005

I have stayed in Ramada Inn in many places, and I am familiar with the level of comfort and quality of service that the chain offers. The Ramada Inn in Ithaca gives the whole chain a bad name. It damages the brand.

I agree with the previous poster - the room was disgusting and dark. The bathroom, while clean, looked like the servants quarters. The building is not dilapidated, but is getting there. There was a depressing feeling about the place - and that in the middle of the summer on a nice sunny day.

The staff was not very helpful - they sent us to climb the stairs, when they could have directed us to the elevator.

I found it expensive for what I got. I have stayed at a Days Inn in DC for half the price where the quality was twice as good.

To top it all off, when I received my credit card bill, I found out that they had charged me for breakfast, when I did not have any.

Bottom line - quality is terrible, price is excessive, and they are overbilling.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank GoBlueDevils
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada the first night of our trip tp teh Finger Lakes. The best thing I can say is that the desk staff was friendly.
and they allow dogs. (Ours was travelling with us)

The room was disgusting. Badly needed a redo. The wallpaper was coming off the wall by the window, the room was dark, bathtub was grey. The bedspread had a blood stain on it. I must say that I did not complain to the fornt desk, beacuse at that point we were exhausted, but I really was pretty disturbed.

We were going to have breakfast in the restaurant but I was go appalled by the room that I was afraid to eat there.

This place was very dissapointing.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2005

My daughter was recently accepted to Cornell University as a first year law student. Being from the Midwest, I was a bit nervous about visiting New York, but we booked with the Ramada because of a decent review of another guest on Trip Advisor. Upon arriving in Ithaca, we called the hotel and were picked up from the airport by their driver. The driver was a very nice young man who pointed out the big Ithaca mall and shopping area next to the hotel and eased my mind about the safeness of the Ithaca area. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were given a packet full of useful information about Cornell's campus, important dates in my daughter's future, a color map of Cornell and discounted meal coupons. We thought this was a very nice touch. Once we arrived in our (very clean) rooms, we realized we would need more towels - we called housekeeping and our towels were brought within a 2 minutes - with a smile! The girl told me that if there was anything else I needed to be sure to call. The outdoor pool was closed, but the indoor pool was very nice - it looked as if it had recently been remodeled. The sauna relaxed me and the whirlpool was just about perfect. We called the front desk and requested a cab to Cornell. The girl told me that there was no need to call a cab, that they would drive us there and pick us up! This service was beyond my expectations. The same driver brought us to the Law School, again, pointing out some of the lovely waterfalls, and the Cornell Gardens. Our appointment was delayed, so we call the hotel and told them, gave them our new time, and "our" driver was there waiting for us when the appointment ended! We were so pleased. This is a great service! On Sunday we decided to try the Brunch. One word - WOW - the omelet from the omelet bar was one of the best I've ever had. So much food and only about $6 each - we were stuffed and sleepy for our long plane ride home. All in all - the Ramada exceeded our expectations. We've already booked our daughter's graduation date at the hotel. Can't wait to get back to Ithaca!

• Stayed April 2005