“Not Bad for Needing a Hotel Last Minute”

Ramada Ithaca Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Due to heavy flooding and damage in Vermont, we decided on Ithaca for their Brewers Festival. We booked this hotel in a matter of 30 minutes, after finding out our other hotel cancelled reservations due to damage to the surrounding areas. We needed rooms for 11 people, so, not easy last minute.

Ramada was very helpful in getting us all rooms for our designated nights. Upon arrival, I had all of the previous posts in the back of my mind, but, figured I'd have my own opinions. Check in was smooth and we were told we can pull around the back to get into our rooms. Expecting to find a "Key-Card" entrance we were ready, however, the door was practically wide open. So, to say the least, the security was awful. Anyone from off the street could walk in to any of these doors making for a very unsafe situation.

The hallways were very dim and old looking. The room had a bit of a "Musty" smell to it, but, my wife went to Target and got one of those timed Air Fresheners, no problems then. We found the bed to be comfortable, the AC kept it cold. Bathroom needs a lot of updating.

One of the best things about the hotel was the outsie pool, which is open from 11-9. We pretty much had the pool to ourselves, and were able to drink beers by the pool, we made sure to bring Solo cups. The pool could have been skimmed, but, its a very nice sized pool and plenty of chairs for us.

Location of the hotel is great. A 15 minute drive, if that, will get you into the Commons area of Ithaca using either Rt 13 , or Cayuga Heights Road. Getting to the many vineyards and breweries is also very easy from this location.

There are several suggestions, and one would be the security issue of all the doors being unlocked to gain entrance to the hotel. That should be the first thing to be worked on by the owners. If customers don't feel safe, they are not going there.

Overall, yes, there were some issues with the hotel, but, if I had to, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 13, 2011

All hotels were booked due to Nascar. There was a room available for $150 night, and so not worth it. The rugs are dirty and frayed, wall paper is peeling everywhere. There is dust everywhere. The housekeeping staff consists of young woman, who are very busy texting. I have yet to hear a vacuum running on my floor. The doors in the back are ALL UNLOCKED, SO THIS GETS PRETTY CREEPY AT NIGHT when coming in to the room and walking down a long darl dirty hallway by yourself. Anyone off the street can be in there hiding out and you know, no one would hear a thing. The restaurant is the best thing-good food. Staff seems to be a little "slow". Location is good-huge mall right down the street and lots of eating choices. I WOULD NOT come back here. NOT worth $150 night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank lnlu61
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I will be honeest, I have stayed here more than once even though I don't think much of it. The location is great for Cornell and there are really no good choices in the area. There really is no reason for the owner to fix it up because the competition (especially on that side of Cornell) is even worse.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The layers of dust on fake plants and trees in the lobby should have been our first clue. The layout of this hotel is a nightmare, we couldn't find our room, but in searching for it got to see walls and walls of ripped wallpaper through the hallways. The bathroom was disgustingly filthy. I observed the bed had zip up bed covers on the mattress and boxspring. When we returned to the front desk to tell them we wouldn't be staying there afterall, I mentioned the bed covers and inquired if there was a bed bug problem and was told, "We haven't had any complaints in a few months. I asked for the manager who identified himself as Dan Witko and told him "Outdated I can understand, filth I can not."
He replied, "Obviously we can't please you" and walked away. In the lobby I tried to use my laptop to locate another hotel and the wireless system was out. I was told, "That happens sometimes." The front desk clerk was helpful and kind in finding another hotel in the area. The rest of the staff we encountered were ridiculously inhospitable. What a nightmare!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank buonviaggio33
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Went back to Cornell for slope weekend and stayed here for 1 night. Room was clean and a decent size but smelled a little musty before the ac was turned on. Central location right next to the mall and about a 10 minute drive from campus. Not the Statler but i would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was competing in the Ithaca Dragon Boat Festival and this hotel was the "host hotel". My reservation was lost, and then when I arrived, I was told to drive around to a back entrance that was unsecure. The bathroom had black mold on the ceiling, and when I attempted to shower after a day of racing, the shower water ran brown. The electricity went off. When I complained to staff I was told "that happens sometimes". The manager was "not available on weekends" and I asked the front desk staff what they could do to help...the desk staff responded "I can just say I am sorry". This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I since found out that other dragon boat teams cancelled their room blocks here because of the poor conditions. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: BOOK at another hotel