“OK”

Best Western University Inn
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Only three out of five because over all, it is a little run down, but the room we had seems like it had been recently refurbished. It was hot outside and we used the outdoor pool, which was pretty average, and that's being nice.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank THD

Reviewed April 25, 2007

We were visiting the campus of Cornell with our two teenage children and small dogs. This was our fourth night after DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia, and this hotel was more than a pleasant surprise. Located right across the street from Cornell, and right down the street from where the campus tours are conducted, the front desk clerk was more than happy to provide directions and a highlighted map of the campus for us! Not to mention, the dogs were welcomed with enthusiasm, they gave us a great room where we could walk them right outside, and there was plenty of privacy. Also, there was a grocery store within walking distance. Ithaca has some of the best boutique shops I've seen anywhere. And don't miss seeing the Buttermilk Falls.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I stayed at the Best Western hotel in Ithaca for two nights. You should consider my experience as 1. I know the area since I graduated from Cornell a few years ago and 2. I'm not picky about hotel rooms as I've stayed in hundreds due to travelling for sports. While the actual room is OK, I had the worst experience ever as it involved fraud and poor management. While I booked ONE room for two nights, they used my credit card to charge me for an additional room for one night(at the highest rate - no less). I noticed the additional charge the following day. I called the hotel, but they would not refund the $191 (for one night) because I was a "no show". This is despite the fact that I stayed at the hotel that night and paid for a room. I stated that we made a reservation for one room for two nights and that there must have been an error on the part of the desk attendant because there is no reason I would have booked two rooms. The manager acknowledged that there COULD have been an error, but he would not refund my money because they could have rented the room to someone else. I've since filed a complaint with my credit card company. The hotel is indepedently owned and operated so my calls to the Best Western headquarters were shrugged off. Before you book here, I recommend that you try other places: Courtyard by Marriott, Embassy Inn, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and The Super 8 (my parents stayed here for graduation - it was fine). If you are willing to pay the extra money, I suggest you stay at The Statler Hotel or La Tourelle.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BigRed01
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I had a very nice 3-night stay here over President's Day weekend (February). We stayed in the 400 wing (thanks to an earlier reviewer's comments); room included gas fireplace and jacuzzi, and king size bed. Room was spacious; would have been better if it included a small table. The only problem we had was regulating the heater; when it was on, it ended up being about 75 degrees! Continental breakfast was more than adequate: it included fruit, juices, cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, coffee, instant oatmeal!
The hotel is convenient to Cornell campus, downtown Ithaca, and Pyramid Mall (short drives away). We will stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay here. Three years ago, I found this hotel to be dingy, and was only staying here again because of its proximity to campus. As another reviewer suggested, ask for a room in the 400's, a newer wing. The rooms here are large and clean (though I did find gum on the back of the bed while I was searching for an electrical socket). Also, a free wireless Internet connection! The staff was polite and all my requests for shuttles to campus were fulfilled in a timely manner.

Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank MicaelaLynn
Reviewed September 16, 2005

I stayed there for 2 nights while visiting Cornell. The phone in my room didn't work. The closet door wouldn't open or close. The batteries in the TV remote control were held in by a piece of strapping tape. When I tried to open the window in my room, the handle came off in my hand. The bathroom door was plastic and partly caved in. The hair dryer in the bathroom had been replaced with a smaller model, but they didn't fill in the large hole left by the previous one. The toilet ran. The "complementary breakfast" area was overrun with people, so even if I had wanted weak coffee in a styrofoam cup and a microwaved pastry, I wouldn't have been able to sit down or even stand there to consume it.

This place needs a major overhaul. Until that happens, don't stay there.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank heads26
Reviewed July 30, 2005

70's style hotel...good, clean, funky room with a cathedral ceiling.

• Stayed: July 2005