“Very average hotel”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Very average hotel”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights in mid-January 2014. This is a very dated and limited hotel. The rooms are spacious, but that's about it. The ancient in-room aircon unit would randomly spring into life until I had to turn it completely off. The bathrooms look about 40+ years old and towels were definitely well used.

Breakfast is totally carbohydrates - almost no fresh food (few bananas), only muffins, bagels, waffles, cheese, sugar, oh and more sugar... Very limited and un-exciting. Eat down the street at the local deli - much better choice. Distinct absence of staff at breakfast and everything was disposable...

handy for Cornell University, which is where I was visiting, but transport needed for central Ithaca. As another reviewer has stated, eat 300m away in Agava - ate there most nights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear allovertheplace,
I am sorry that your stay was not satisfying last January. I would like to speak further about your experience and especially about the breakfast. We are constantly working with our food supplier and come up with healthier items and would like to have any input you can offer.
Please e-mail me at jmcmann@twintierhospitality.com. I look forward to hearing more of your feedback.
Jim McMann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel three times in the past five months. The location is excellent if you are visiting Cornell. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. There is a great restaurant, Agava, within walking distance when you don't want to drive. The hotel is also located near a plaza with a bagel shop and grocery store. We will be back.

Room Tip: We have stayed in two different rooms. All good size and quiet. Fridge, microwave, free wifi, free...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Jeff,
Thank you for your kind words and positve experiences with us. Yes, Agava has been very popular with our guests, especially Saturday and Sunday brunch! We even have a Dunkin Donuts opening very soon.
We look forward to seeing you again when visiting Cornell.
Nashville, TN, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The front desk and shuttle workers went out of their way to accommodate my needs. While I did not interact with the maids, my room was very clean and they respected my stuff. This was the best shuttle service I have ever used. The rooms were amazing (mine had a jacuzzi). I strongly recommend this hotel (and visiting Ithaca, NY in general).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Robert,
We can't tell you how pleased we are with your review! We really encourage our staff to go above and beyond for all of our guests and are glad that you had the chance to experience that. Please call us again when your travel plans include Ithaca.
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Room was lovely and service was excellent. Only issue we had was the policy of the hotel is that we had to ask for room service. I have never stayed in a hotel where we had to ask for room service! It was automatic!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank for your kind words about the room and the service during your stay. I am a little confused about room service. We do clean all rooms daily unless the guest declines or has their "do not disturb" sign on the door.
We then call the room in the afternoon to see if the guest would like any housekeeping service.

Please don't hesitate to call e-mail me at jmcmann@twintierhospitality.com if I can clarify any of that information.
Cortez, Colorado
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My experience at this Best Western far exceeded my expectations. All of the staff was extremely courteous & helpful. When my flights were getting re-routed and cancelled due to bad weather I called the hotel to let them know I would be a day late. Sarah W. handled everything. The shuttle drivers were prompt and willing do anything and everything to help our group. In addition they were very knowledgeable about the local area and made traveling with them entertaining, educational, and fun. This hotel should be used as a model for what more hotels should be like.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shak,
That was an amazing review! Sarah has been a real asset since she started with us and always willing to go out of her way to give great customer service, whether recommending places to visit or local restaurants for dining.

Your review means alot to us. I will be posting your review for all our staff. Please call us again when you visiting the area.
Best regards,
Manchester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We travel with dogs, so, the walking area was plenty of green grass. Breakfast is the usual, fine and adequate. Room was plenty large, clean, microwave and refrigerator. Bathroom is good. I always think lighting in the bathroom is bad at places, but not the best western. I could see what I was doing and I liked the hand rail in the tub area. I would stay there again if in the area again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Colleen,
That was a very kind review of the Best Western! We, of course, welcome pets and were glad you were able to take advantage of the walking area beside the hotel. This year, we were host to the Grapehound Wine Tour and the group really liked the field next to the hotel even though we are in the town of Ithaca. Please let us know when you come back and we would be happy to reserve you one of our pet friendly rooms.
Oneonta, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is about my 10th time here. I got a room with 20 foot ceilings, two double beds and a sofa. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and sincerely so. Very nice breakfast selection and facility.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hi, Mary,
We are so glad that you have chosen the hotel the many times you have stayed here. Thank you for the positive comments on the breakfast and our staff, as well. When you return to Ithaca again, please give us a call.