“Fine place a nights rest.”

Best Western University Inn
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
NYC, United States
“Fine place a nights rest.”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Outer appreance is so-so, beds were very comfortable. Too far from downtown to walk. It would have been nice to have a guide on local attractions and a guide for the cable channels. Fine place to stay for sleeping and a shower. Wouldn't spend any extra time there, nothing to do onsite or nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Angela,
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Although we are a mile from downtown, our shuttle will take our guests to the Commons in the evening. Our shuttle also goes to Cornell University and Collegetown where there is a host of different things to do, eating, theatre, museums. When you return to Ithaca, please give us a call and we can assist you with planning your stay.
Kind regards,
Jim McMann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Batavia, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for business since 2002. I was so not impressed the first time I stayed there, I hesitated to stay again. But, because of the price I did stay. I didn't really enjoy it - it seemed dank, musty, unclean, inefficient, just not a place I wanted to be. So I stayed at the Hampton once it was built. However, over the years, I stayed occasionally, and realized that the Best Western was indeed trying to make things better. I have spent six nights here in the last month, and really could not be happier. The changes at the front desk - from check in to check out are wonderful! They have moved the breakfast to a separate area which makes SO MUCH more sense, and makes breakfast so much more enjoyable. The new furniture in the lobby area is really very nice, something I would have in my home! My last experience was very good - I was travelling for an 1130 am meeting at Cornell University, and knew I would not have a chance to get back to the hotel until at least 9 pm - so I phoned before 7 am, asking whether I would be able to check in before my meeting. When I arrived, the desk person stated they had a note that I had phoned, and the my room was ready! WOW! As I headed to my room with my hands full, juggling to find my key, one of the housekeeping staff asked if she could open the door for me - wow - sure - thanks! The temperature in the room was perfect - nice and toasty (as compared to the frigid temps outside). When I left my room an hour later to head to my meeting, I saw the same housekeeper and thanked her again for letting me into the room. She asked if I would like my room made up while I was gone - wow - I said thanks, but no need. I then took the shuttle over to Cornell - the driver, like everyone else I encountered this stay, was friendly, warm, caring, compassionate - just the best. Check out was a breeze - I phoned the front desk to say I was leaving, and I left! This is they type of service I appreciate, and am very grateful to see the Best Western trying to step it up.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Beverly M
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Beverly,
Thank you for your candid thoughts on your history with the Best Western University Inn. Although we are not perfect, we do try to make each guest experience a special one. We now have a stand up meeting each morning to look at our online reviews with the staff amd brainstorm what we will work on that day.

We are grateful to have gotten that second chance and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

ok accommodations; room not as clean as most under bed, along walls, carpet crumbs, food left in refrigerator by previous guest.. breakfast ok for price..good location if interested in cornell university, shops and stores nearby;.parking ample. staff pleasant and efficient. good checkout time (12 noon).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dear H9906Zfranks,
Thanks for posting your comments and giving us the chance to repond. We certainly apologize that that guestroom was not to your expectations and have printed your comments to review in our morning meeting with the houskeepers. Please do call me when you are in town next and I will personally take care of your reservation.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for one night when my son visited Cornell University last week. We had a great experience there largely because of the excellent service provided by the hotel staff, especially the shuttle service. Both Chris and Tom, who drove the shuttle van for us, were very courteous and helpful. I didn't drive there because I have epilepsy, but their shuttle service made our stay so much easier. If I have a chance to visit Cornell University again in the future, I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

2 Thank Xin M
Dear Xin,
Thank for your kind words and pointing out Chris and Tom, two of our best! Please call us when you return to Ithaca. We also shuttle guests downtown to the Commons, with some of Ithaca's best restaurants including the The Moosewood.
Brookfield CT
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because of a medical emergency concerning a family member at the Cayuga Medical Center and the hotel offered a discounted hospital rate. For its cost, the accommodations and services were adequate for our needs and the staff very pleasant in every way. We found the beds to be much too uncomfortable, however, for a good night's sleep--too soft and bouncy-- and the heating unit in our room fluctuated on and off frequently throughout the night rather than remaining on continuous fan operation, so the change in the noise coming from it was somewhat disruptive. Otherwise, the facility is clean, quiet, spacious, and the free breakfast provided early sustenance before we set out for the hospital each day. It is also in an area that is convenient to the Cornell University campus and there is some shopping nearby.

Dear Steven,
We hope your family member is doing better and we are glad that the majority of your stay went well. We are constantly making improvements including bedding and heating units. I hope you will have the chance to visit the area again, but to really enjoy the area.
Kind regards,
Ferrisburgh, Vermont, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here several times, while visiting our daughter - who's now a senior student at Ithaca College - We've always had a great stay, with dependable quality. The staff are more than helpful, the rooms clean, and the breakfasts good for any appetite. The location is convenient: one road gets you downtown, one more road gets you to Ithaca College. A route in the opposite takes you right to Cornell College. A grocery, pharmacy, and take out meal options are within a 5 minute walk from Best Western. Workout area is clean , machines in good order.

Dear acohn54,
WoW! Many thanks for your review! Yes, we tell all Ithaca College visitors about the easy way from here to campus and avoid all the downtown traffic. We hope to see you again before your daughter graduates!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Was put in furthest room from lobby where breakfast and coffee was served..It had ice all over parking lot was could not walk to lobby. The phone in room did not work and later that nite around 10:30 the heat stopped working. Not bad when it's 17 degrees out. They did move us to a lower quality room next to us but luckly me they gave me 10 dollars for my problems.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
We do apologize about your issues with the heat in your room and the conditions of the parking lot. Your comment has printed and submitted to our maintenance department. There is really no excuse for the issues your encountered. Should your plans bring you back to Ithaca, please call me at 1-607-272-6100 and I personally guarantee you a room in our main building.
Jim McMann

Travelers are raving about these Ithaca hotels