“Bedbugs! and other ick”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
United States
“Bedbugs! and other ick”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Beware, this hotel has bedbugs.
Stayed one night, the room was truly filthy. See photos. Front desk attendant declared my photos "really gross." Yes, my room was *really gross*. After I went home I looked up the bug I had photographed and realize it is, in fact, a bedbug. Stains on the comforter that looked like blood stains are consistent with bedbug fecal spots (see photo).
If bedbugs are not enough to send you running screaming for the hills... the carpet was truly unclean. Old food between nightstand and bed. Hairpin and debris between bed and wall. Definitely not vacuumed in a long time, especially the "hard to reach" places like between the bed and wall. Lots of hair in bathroom in corners, and curly hairs on toilet seat (ick.) Toilet seat was crusty gross. Bathroom coffee maker with dried on coffee, clearly not cleaned at all, really icky. Wrote my name in the dust on the lampstand. Clock didn't work. Wi-fi connection wouldn't work at all. Common areas seriously in need of a vacuuming and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. They don't use fitted sheets, so sheets loose on bed. Bedding had waterstain and other dark stain and pooling on the floor in a mess when I arrived. Breakfast was bare-bones on paper plates and plastic silverware but actually okay, as expected, but not enough seating so I had to eat with a tray on my lap in the lobby. Rat poison station in the flower beds, so at least they are on top of that problem?
Now I am just trying to throw out and disinfect what I can and praying I don't get a bedbug infestation in my house. (management very difficult to reach, has refunded my entire bill at this point but I have yet to hear an apology nor speak to the general manager.)
Best Western invited me to post a review of their hotel here, so here is my conclusion: Easily wins Gold Medal for worst hotel experience of my life.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Jen365
Best47958, General Manager at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Jen365,
I assume that with our e-mail and phone conversations that we have recitfied your situation after your stay with us. Thank you for your comments and we will be keeping in touch.
Kind regards,
Terry Terry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were accidentally placed in one of the 8 Smoking rooms. True, we were not required to smoke in there, but the previous guest left us quite a stench.
On the positive side, when the error was recognized the next morning, we received $50 off of the price of the room.

Room Tip: Be sure that you request a Non-Smoking Room!
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kfrieden
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Frieden,
We apologize that you were placed in one our smoking permitted rooms. We are glad that our staff recognized the error and discounted the room rate. We hope you will consider our hotel again when coming to Ithaca. You may also call me at 1-607-272-6100 and I will make sure your room is in our non smoking part of the hotel.
Stittsville, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel made it very handy to see the Cornell campus and it was close to a wine store, bagel place, a grocery store and Agave restaurant( a real great restaurant)
The breakfast was average-donuts, toast, scrambled eggs and sausage. The coffee was good.
The Internet was SO bad that I could not get email from home that I really needed. SLOW SLOW SLOW and UNRELIaBLe! This is why I have rated this hotel as average. It was a convenience that we really needed and wanted
Had to go downtown to a coffee shop and this was very inconvenient.
The room was very big and handy with 2 beds, fridge, microwave.
Nice to have a morning paper with my coffee.
The staff was very friendly and helpful but the girl who checked us out was not able to get my Best Western Rewards number into the system and now it looks like I am going to have to fight with BW (again) to try and get the night registered on my BW account.
Not sure if it is their system or this front desk person was a newbie.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, stay on the west side because the sun shines brightly into your room (with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bbcc1313
We appreciate all your comments regarding your stay. Could you contact me at 1-607-272-6100? I would be happy to put in your BW rewards number so you can get credit for your stay.
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is great - the room was big, the whole place was clean and fresh, and the breakfast was very good. They greated us with enthusiasm, gave me local maps, check in and out was easy and quick. The room included a microwave and refridge. It is only a very short walking distance to a great wine store and grocery store and to the Agave restaurant - a southwestern wonderful restaurant. The beds are very comfortable as are the pillows. It is close to the university and up on the same hill, so getting there is only a couple of minutes. The hotel also will provide a van shuttle for various places and the local bus service is right there also.
The only suggestions I would have for this hotel is to provide more towels in the room (it seems a little stingy but I know I could have asked for more). I will stay here again when in Ithaca.

Room Tip: You can park close to your room and only a short walk to the pool and to breakfast - so it doesn'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Nikki,
What a great review! It is so gratifying when guests really enjoy what we have to offer. We are extremely lucky that we do have things to offer our guests right here in our plaza. Please don't hesitate to contact us again when you return to Ithaca.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western, University during a 2-day college visiting trip in Ithaca with our grandson. The hotel is very close to the Cornell campus and proves a free shuttle to the campus, which made the cornell part of the trip very easy. The driver will pick you up when you are ready, so there's no time lost once your tour/information session ends. This was also a good stop for visits to ithaca College and SUNY .Cortland - all within 15-30 min. The service was excellent

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
JoAnn,
Thanks so much for you comments on the Best Western University Inn and especially our shuttle service. For Cornell visitors, the shuttle is invaluable as there is limited parking on campus.
Should you be visiting Ithaca in the future, I hope you will consider returning again. We can also take you downtown to the Ithaca Commons if you would like dining options.
Ithaca, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very clean, nice staff and excellent nearby Mexican restaurant "Agave" in walking distance from hotel. Very comfy beds and comforters, micro and fridge in our room was nice also. Hunter at the front desk was very friendly and went out of her way to explain hotel procedures and accomodations. I would definately stay here again when i the Ithaca area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so glad you were impressed with Hunter at our front desk. She is one of our most valuable employees as she does everything to effortlessly. The next time you come, you should also try the Antlers Restaurant. It's only 2 miles away and would be happy to shuttle you there.
Kind regards,
Pottstown
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Best Western has a great location for Cornell University visitors. It is directly off campus at the top of the hill overlooking Ithaca. The rooms are spacious, the King bed with plenty of pillows is great for sleeping, the refrigerator and microwave are convenient and the bathroom is spacious with showers that have great water pressure.
Okay, that's the good part. Not too bad at that.
However, we were in town as tourists in Ithaca so the location was not exactly ideal for us. Each day we had to travel down the hill into town through traffic and construction then at the end, travel back up the hill. If you wanted a shower before dinner, that meant an extra trip up and down. It became quite tiresome after three days. So be forewarned. Do not stay here if you are visiting the state parks, gorges, Lake Cayuga or restaurants in town. We spent part of a day at Cornell and that was our only saving grace.
The hotel is nice for sure. It is also very big. It is the only hotel I have ever had to drive to the room. Located at the far end of the complex, I felt our room was almost in a different area code. If you wanted breakfast in the morning, it was a hike to the lobby. Because of the distance, our room did not have internet service being so far away from the router. I guess others had the same problem as we frequently saw other guests stuck in the lobby with their laptops. We don't spend our vacation on the computer but we needed it once in a while. It would have been nice to have it in our room.

Room Tip: If you want internet service in your room, make sure you are close to the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bearlee
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay travelling through the Finger Lakes. We do appreciate the positive remarks about your room and the breakfast, but disappointed that you felt the hotel was far away from local tourist destinations.

On behalf of the Best Western, we do apologize for the slowness of the internet. Should you be returning to the Finger Lakes in the future, please call me at 1-607-272-6100 and I would be happy to reserve you a room closer to the lobby.