Best Western University Inn
  • Room Service
  • Pool
Quality Inn(Ithaca)
View Hotel
All reviewsgrocery storeshuttle serviceshopping plazaoutdoor poolfree shuttlewould stay here againithaca areaeasy accessroom was spaciousconvenient locationcollege visitithaca nyyogurtfireplaceuniversityconveniencemicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Arrived on Friday night of Presidents Day weekend at 6:00pm. Clerk at main desk was friendly; check in was quick and efficient. Got to our room (king room with fireplace in the 400 wing) and found 4 workers painting in the foyer of the building! We had to walk around their ladders, plastic on the floor and painting gear to get to the hallway. What kind of establishment would have people painting at check in time of a holiday weekend?? Isn't that something that you would do on a mid week morning when the hotel isn't busy?? Anyway we got to our room which was lovely, except for the horrible paint smell! The paint smell was so strong that we had to have the window open in the room while it was 10* and snowing so we wouldn't get sick from the smell. I called the front desk and complained - they never offered to move us to a different room - just said the painting was supposed to be completed soon and they would check on it. We left and went to dinner, coming back 3 hours later and still smelling the fumes! We slept with the window open all night so we could have some fresh air!
They offer a free continental breakfast in the hotel lobby - which was in another building from where we were so you had to get in your car and drive there for breakfast (which was also a disappointment- there were barely 8 small tables there and there must have been 40 people in this small breakfast area looking for something to eat - many empty bins and the only options left were bread to toast, some bagels and instant oatmeal, coffee and juice.) We said forget it and found a nice cafe a few miles away to have breakfast.
Spent the day out of the hotel and when we returned at 4pm that day the paint smell had finally disappeared! We enjoyed the rest of our stay once we could breathe again. The gas fireplace in the room was a nice addition on a cold winters night! The bed was comfortable, bathroom was large, and the room was very clean. Rooms also had a microwave and refrigerator so that was nice to keep snacks and bottled water chilled.
The hotel is located about 3 miles from downtown adjacent to Cornell University. You have to drive to get to the nice restaurants and bars in town (there are many!) and the commons area.
Overall this isn't a bad place to stay but the paint situation and lack of restocking during the breakfast were definite problems during our stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Upstategal
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Only three out of five because over all, it is a little run down, but the room we had seems like it had been recently refurbished. It was hot outside and we used the outdoor pool, which was pretty average, and that's being nice.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank THD
Reviewed April 25, 2007

We were visiting the campus of Cornell with our two teenage children and small dogs. This was our fourth night after DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia, and this hotel was more than a pleasant surprise. Located right across the street from Cornell, and right down the street from where the campus tours are conducted, the front desk clerk was more than happy to provide directions and a highlighted map of the campus for us! Not to mention, the dogs were welcomed with enthusiasm, they gave us a great room where we could walk them right outside, and there was plenty of privacy. Also, there was a grocery store within walking distance. Ithaca has some of the best boutique shops I've seen anywhere. And don't miss seeing the Buttermilk Falls.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I stayed at the Best Western hotel in Ithaca for two nights. You should consider my experience as 1. I know the area since I graduated from Cornell a few years ago and 2. I'm not picky about hotel rooms as I've stayed in hundreds due to travelling for sports. While the actual room is OK, I had the worst experience ever as it involved fraud and poor management. While I booked ONE room for two nights, they used my credit card to charge me for an additional room for one night(at the highest rate - no less). I noticed the additional charge the following day. I called the hotel, but they would not refund the $191 (for one night) because I was a "no show". This is despite the fact that I stayed at the hotel that night and paid for a room. I stated that we made a reservation for one room for two nights and that there must have been an error on the part of the desk attendant because there is no reason I would have booked two rooms. The manager acknowledged that there COULD have been an error, but he would not refund my money because they could have rented the room to someone else. I've since filed a complaint with my credit card company. The hotel is indepedently owned and operated so my calls to the Best Western headquarters were shrugged off. Before you book here, I recommend that you try other places: Courtyard by Marriott, Embassy Inn, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and The Super 8 (my parents stayed here for graduation - it was fine). If you are willing to pay the extra money, I suggest you stay at The Statler Hotel or La Tourelle.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BigRed01
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I had a very nice 3-night stay here over President's Day weekend (February). We stayed in the 400 wing (thanks to an earlier reviewer's comments); room included gas fireplace and jacuzzi, and king size bed. Room was spacious; would have been better if it included a small table. The only problem we had was regulating the heater; when it was on, it ended up being about 75 degrees! Continental breakfast was more than adequate: it included fruit, juices, cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, coffee, instant oatmeal!
The hotel is convenient to Cornell campus, downtown Ithaca, and Pyramid Mall (short drives away). We will stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple