“Enjoyable two hours on the lake but not worth the money for food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cayuga Lake Cruises
Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Enjoyable two hours on the lake but not worth the money for food”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My 80 yr old father was in town and we thought taking this boat cruise could be enjoyable for him. The company seems to operate a large two-story boat for meal cruises and a smaller one for basic tours.
The staff were very friendly and the boat was clean. The ride was very smooth and the captain's command of the boat in the fairly narrow canal was impressive.
I had expected some kind of tour guide experience, but apparently there was just the printed information in the back of the wine list that I could read if I wanted to. Since a lot of the tour guide sound systems are awful, I guess this wasn't so bad.
My main complaint is with the food. They have fancy looking lunch and dinner menus, but since we had three kids along, we went with the Sunday brunch which advertises a "brunch buffet." This was generally bad. Sausage links and cut fruit were fine. The scrambled eggs looked like nothing I've ever seen before. Very granular... I kinda wondered if it was vegan. No pancakes or waffles. The home fries were ok, but a little too spiced up with peppers and onions. The tortellini with red sauce was decent. The grilled chicken was so dry it was inedible. Our orange juice tasted either almost spoiled or extremely cheap (frozen store brand from ALDI's).
Considering the 2-hr cruise with the meal was $30 for adults and $20 for kids, our group of 6 cost almost $200.
I can't speak for the lunch or dinner, but I would avoid meals there from now on. A cocktail cruise would probably be just fine.

Visited July 2014