“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #3 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We stayed one night with our infant and we very much enjoyed the more modern decor and furnishings of this B&B. The king sized bed was very comfortable and I love the fact that bathrobes were provided. The bathroom was also lovely with a good number of towels. Unfortunately though the B&B doesn't provide a porta-crib or high chair so you will need to bring your own if traveling with a baby. The breakfast was spectacular with awesome caramelized apple waffles and goats cheese scrambled eggs with home baked cakes and fresh fruit. Our baby was well accommodated with fruit and yogurt. I really liked this place but my one issue with the main house where we stayed was that it was completely unlocked during the day and the rooms don't have individual locks. Considering the owners live in the main house too I guess they are very comfortable with the safety of the local neighborhood but being from out of town we didn't find this acceptable. When we arrived only the housekeeper was on the premises and she wasn't even in the main house. We ended up locking our laptops and passports in our car.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Saffy2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We very much enjoyed our stay. I should note that my wife and I are not fans of typical flowery, old-fashioned, potpourri B&Bs. The Inn at Columbia offers a modern tasteful decor which is just what we wanted.

Had we wanted to pay more, we could have stayed at the main house. We stayed in Villa Madeline, which is pleasant and private. However, I should note that it is not on a quiet little side street as the main house is. It is on Aurora Ave., also known as Route 96B. It's a busy road, and trucks laboring to climb the hill make some noise. Our room was at the back so it wasn't too bothersome.

Also, as others have noted, you don't get the fancy breakfast when you're not in the main house (it's offered as an option, for a bit extra, and you have to walk over to the main house). That was OK by me, but you should be aware of that. You basically get a few muffins, scones, apples, strawberries. These are pretty much the same quality as from an average supermarket. They were "meh" - not quite what I expected for the price.

But those were my only nits. Really, the place is wonderful, and I will try to get a room in the main house next time I go - I will definitely stay here next time I'm in Ithaca. It is easy walking distance into town (though a bit of a hill climb coming back); just close enough to enjoy, but not in the noisy part of town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 28, 2010

When I received confirmation of my reservation at the Inn I was told in an e-mail that our room would include: "a light breakfast." I responded questioning that information since one of the reasons I chose the Inn for my husband and me was the advertised chef-prepared breakfast which we, both dedicated students of cuisine, would have enjoyed. I was told that, in order to have breakfast included, we would have to pay $7.50 more per person or change our reservation to a considerably more expensive room.
My first experience with inn bait-and-switch and hopefully our last!
Jacqui Casey

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqui17
columbiaIthaca, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
The guests at the Inn on Columbia who stay on the Columbia St properties are served a chef prepared breakfast. The guests who stay at other buildings with kitchens get a home made breakfast of fresh baked goods, premium fruit,home made granola,yogurt ,premium orange juice,coffee and tea. We try to make this clear with every verbal description of our facilities and again in our confirmation letter. Prices are based on types of accommodation and services offered. It is pointless for us to bait and switch, some people hear but don't listen.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I flew into up state NY from Australia without reservation and arrived late. The owners Kenn and Madeline couldn't have been more welcoming. My room was generous and well appointed. I had a sense of being in somebody's home rather than a box. Madeline's breakfasts were just delicious. I hope to work out the secret ingredient of the "Columbia Juice". Very tropical and refreshing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Johnwadlow
Columbus, OH
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Unlike many of our fellow guests who were visiting Cornell or Ithaca College and/or their children, my spouse and I chose Ithaca because of the proximity to Seneca and Cayuga lakes and all of the respective wineries and state parks. In our search for an elegant space to rest during our stay, we found Inn on Columbia.
We chose the Gazebo for our 5-night stay. It was the perfect space for the two of us. The bed was very comfortable... the large pillows and soft linens were delightful. The bathroom was spacious and we took advantage of the spa tub as well as the shower. The full size shampoo, soaps and lotions were also great to have available instead of the dinky travel-size disposables. The light robes and thick bath towels were a pleasant touch.
Despite the fact that this week was one of the hottest of the summer thus far, the window a/c kept the room very cool, providing a welcome retreat for us in the early afternoons. One wish we had was for more than one chair to enjoy the evenings (and our wine) on the surrounding deck.
We were in walking distance of many shops and restaurants at Ithaca Commons and the area was generally quiet in the evenings. On-street parking was safe and accessible. Our hosts were terrific in providing maps of the surrounding area and recommendations for restaurants and activities.
The crown jewel of the entire stay was breakfast each morning. Every guest had the option to choose from a selection of light, sweet and savory options which changed each day. This was no kitschy continental breakfast! The coffee and juice were fantastic, the table settings were simple and elegant and the food was incredibly delicious. Madeline is an excellent chef and her passion for creating a remarkable culinary experience for guests is obvious.
Overall, our stay @ Inn on Columbia met and, at times, exceeded our expectations. Should we visit again, a stay @ Inn on Columbia will be part of our itinerary.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed March 2, 2010

During our first trip to Ithaca, we decided on the Inn on Columbia as they had a Winter Special and were within walking distance to the theatre we had tickets for. We were very pleased with our stay there. The room was elegantly decorated as was the shared areas. The kitchen and baths were spotless and the breakfast was delivered daily and was an assortment of pastries/scones and fruit.

We were a bit leery about the B&B experience but our hosts gave us directions and recommendations and let us do our own thing. They made it clear that if we needed anything that we should let them know.

We were pleased with everything about this B&B and especially loved it's proximity to the nightlife and attractions of the Ithaca Commons area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed September 22, 2009

What a wonderful find in the center of Ithaca. Kenn and Madeline Young have found a way to create a stylish bed and breakfast that is warm and inviting. They go out of their way to ensure your time in Ithaca is well spent from recommending restaurants and making reservations to understanding your interests and pointing you in the right direction. Breakfast is a fabulous selection of choices that suit everyones' tastes--fresh muffins and warm apple cider, fritatas, pancakes, even Vegan selections served with flair and flavor. You will also find your breakfast table is filled with interesting fellow travelers and intelligent breakfast conversation.

• Liked — Stylish design and excellent service
  • Disliked — nthing
  • Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)