“Perfect for large family reunion”
Review of Inn on Columbia

Inn on Columbia
Ranked #3 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“Perfect for large family reunion”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a family wedding in Ithaca so 10 adults and 10 kids had to find the best place to stay for a weekend. Villa Madeline and Maison Mango provided perfect accommodations for our large group. The fridge was stocked with coffee, creamer, milk, soy milk, juice and yogurt . Oatmeal and granola were on the counter and a basket of baked goods and fruit arrived every morning to the kids' delight. The rooms were decorated nicely and the bathrooms were spacious and clean. The grandparents stayed in the cottage for Maison Mango while kids and adults had plenty of room to scatter throughout the main houses. Made for a terrific weekend!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mom G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night of our honeymoon. It was probably the most relaxing room we stayed in, and we would recommend Inn on Columbia to anyone else looking for the relaxing atmosphere of a B&B with lots of privacy.

We stayed here as a a last minute switch -- the hotel we booked was so uninhabitable that I called Inn on Columbia hoping they had a last-minute opening.

Thank goodness they did. The owners were pleasant and gave us great dining recommendations. The room itself was at a separate house a block away from the main Inn. Our room was so relaxing. The bed was just soft enough, and the bathroom was well-lit, clean, and had a personal whirlpool tub. The room was cooled by a single air conditioning unit, but it was powerful enough to keep the air cool and dehumidified without being overly noisy.

Although there were other guests at the house, we never heard them. We had been told to expect a continental breakfast for the morning, and the next day we found a box in the refrigerator full of fruit and zucchini bread, scones, and muffins. There was so much food there that we ate some for breakfast and saved the rest for lunch.

This place was perfect for us. To be honest, I have always been weary of staying in bed and breakfasts because the last thing I want to do in the morning is make small talk with strangers, no matter how nice they are. Because we stayed at the separate house, we had the privacy we wanted while retaining the homey atmosphere of a B&B. Great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank artichokesue
West Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had planned to stay at the Inn on Columbia but after checking in, we were not able to stay. We had signed up for the Hudson Suite, which is around the corner from the main house. I had seen pictures of it and thought it would be wonderful...it had a single bed in the living room, and a separate area with a queen bed (not an actual bedroom, no door but offered some privacy) so traveling with my son would provide each of us some privacy. However, although it stated that it was air conditioned, there is only one small unit which is in the living room, therefore not really felt anywhere but in that room. The unit was overly warm and I just could not imagine getting a good's night sleep someplace so hot. Management did allow me to check out, returned my check to me, and fortunately, I was able to secure other accomodations that were air conditioned.

Since I enjoy staying in luxury places, I expect to have certain ammenities and air conditioning is one of them. It stated that it was air conditioned but truly it is only partially. I would caution anyone about this if they are looking to stay here in the summer months but actually think the fall/winter and spring could be quite pleasant.

Unlike other B&Bs I have stayyed in, the owners were not overly friendly, even before I was aware of the air conditioning problem but I was OK with that. I think that the Hudson Suite would better be described as an efficiency unit, rather than a B&B. You have to make your own coffee and breakfast is some rolls deliverred the night before, store brand yougurt and orange juice. Which BTW, I was fine with, it's just not B&B fare.

Room Tip: summer - inquire about air conditioning if that's important to you
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jmath317
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I really enjoyed staying here. I had the red room in Villa Madeline. It is a small house on a main road close to the center of town. Great location. The house has a very small sitting area and a small kitchen and one red bedroom on the first floor. Also a back porch with a table and chairs. Upstairs there are I think 3 bedrooms. It felt very private although most of the rooms were being used. The owners do not live here so you are on your own basically. I do prefer this type of bed and breakfast than one where you are sharing a room in someone's house. Parking in the back is a bit tight and a little hard to manuver with a larger car. You can use the kitchen as you wish, which is great. Breakfast is not supplied but each occupant receives a bakery box of baked items such as scones, muffins, and some fruit. There is also yogurt, milk and juice in the frig. There is a big tin of coffee you can brew yourself.
My only complaint was that it seemed that there was always a maid upstairs making noise cleaning and running up and down the stairs. I would have prefered a bit more privacy. As far as cleanliness, everythng was very very clean except the bathroom floor corners and ledges which were loaded with dust. Just tell the maid to clean the bathroom floor and the place would be perfect.
I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Prodance
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband, son and I spent 2 nights at the Hudson Apartment managed by the Inn on Columbia and had a very pleasant stay. The 2-bedroom apartment was small but pleasantly furnished in a quasi-craftsman, quasi-modern style, was very clean, had good-quality linens and towels, and was very well-located (5 minute walk to Ithaca Commons). The basket of home-baked muffins and scones was delicious. We weren't offered the same "upgrade" to a hot breakfast that other reviewers have mentioned, but we were pleased with what we got. Overall, a good value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FitToBeTried
Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed a total of three nights, two in the Villa Madeleine, and one in the Carriage House, after an auto mishap forced us to extend our stay in Ithaca. Both units are about 10 minutes walk from the Commons, Ithaca's downtown pedestrian mall.
Villa Madeleine is around the corner from the main house. Another reviewer criticized the it's living area, and it is somewhat spartan. If you are planning to hang out a lot at your B & B, you might want to stay here. But we found the bed very comfortable, and it has a wonderful kitchen for preparing and storing food, not found in most B & B's we've visited. The continental breakfasts were delivered in individual boxes, and just fine for us. The owners provided a handout map and list of recommended restaurants that we found to be very helpful. We found the main house, about a minute's walk from Villa Madeleine, is quite beautiful inside and out,.

We were forced to stay an unplanned third night when a malfunction caused our car crash into a tree bordering the Villa Madeiiene (drive in our 140 K Subaru engaged on it's own). The hosts were extremely helpful in assisting us in hospital (only for X-ray and release, fortunately) and car repair issues, including transportation. It would have been much worse without their help!

As a result, we stayed in the Carriage House at the "procrastinator's special" rate. We found it to be extremely lovely and comfortable, as well as only a few steps from the main house where we enjoyed Madeliene's excellent cooking for our final breakfast. A great way to end what was, mostly, a great stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newt46
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have stayed at the Inn on Columbia a handful of times. While I have not stayed in the Inn itself, I have stayed in their other rental properties nearby. I prefer more privacy so the house rentals are perfect. The design is modern and clean and I have found all of the properties to be very comfortable. The owners are very pleasant and nice. The location can't be beat. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple