“a long walk to the room”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
New York City, New York
“a long walk to the room”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed one night and the room was nice but I paid close to $250 for the room. To tell you the truth I would have preferred a hampton . Did not like the bed coverings at the homewood and was surprised I had to pay extra to get a tube of tooth paste

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bubba M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The staff on this property are second to none, and the accomodations are top notch. Plenty of space in the rooms, housekeeping bends over backwards to make sure every aspect of your stay is stress free. Great breakfast choices in the morning and the evening meal was filling and delicious. I try and stay here every time I visit home in Ithaca, which is about once a year, and I always am anxious to check in to such a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
whgecomm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Dann383:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and letting us know about your experience. I am so happy to read you were pleased with our accommodations, meal choices and most importantly our Staff! I will be sharing your comments with all of them! We look forward to welcoming you back next year -- if not before!

Alisha Case
new york
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I arrived fairly late and though I'd already done online check-in for my room, the very pleasant desk clerk asked if I would mind a different room. Turned out he wanted to give me a big 3 room suite. Not sure why, perhaps just as a treat for a loyal Hilton customer? I had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. Overall, the hotel was fairly quiet, though some rooms might get more road noise than others. This hotel is on the outskirts of town, but it's just a short drive to downtown or to the Cornell campus. All in all, it was a pleasant, though very short, stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was here for the CNY Cake Decorating Competition. They got a group rate at this hotel, which I was excited about since the price was then minimally higher than the other hotels (with lower ratings) in the area. They were about 3 minutes away from the Ithaca mall, where the event is held.

The start of the experience was not a good one. This particular info is from my husband. He was hoping to check in early, which he was not able to do... Not a big surprise. But the issue was that check in is supposed to be at 3pm, and he was not checked in until around 4pm. My husband waited in the lobby, and they gave him a free box of candy and a soda from their concession stand. But the only real solution would have been for the room to be ready in the first place.

The hotel room itself was very nice. I believe all of the rooms there are suites. We didn't get to choose the type of room we had since we did a room block. The room was got was the 2 queen beds, 1 bedroom suite. When you walk in there is a kitchen with a full size fridge, microwave, 2 burner stove, dish washer, coffeemaker, and sink. They have cups, plates, bowls, utensils, etc. for your use in the kitchen cabinets.

Then there's a living room with love seat, separate cushioned chair, and large screen TV. In a separate room is the bedroom with 2 queen beds, large screen TV, and desk. Then the bathroom is off of there. The bathroom sink is technically in the bedroom with the toilet and shower in a separate room.

This was definitely a home away from home. The amenities were top notch. There are separate thermostats for the living room/kitchen area and the bedroom. The closet had extra blankets.

The main issue we had was with the wireless Internet. Our computer and Xbox system would not connect to the Internet. The front desk gave us a phone number we had to call to get the Xbox system hooked up, but even with that my husband still could not get it to work. We had to hardwire to the Internet for our computer, and it was pretty slow. We were trying to watch Netflix and Hulu, and it kept stopping to load.

There is a complementary hot breakfast, which was better than a lot of other free breakfasts I've seen. But I still wouldn't say it was amazing. They had bagels and some pastry that was pretty good. Yogurt, 4 types of cereal with milk, make you own waffles for blueberry or plain, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, and egg omelets. They also had apple juice, orange juice, water, and coffee/tea.

I'm a picky eater, which may be part of the problem. But their fruit didn't look all that fresh, so I didn't try those. I tried some of a pastry and a bowl of cereal. My husband had the biscuits and gravy, which he didn't mind at all. And he tried the egg omelet. Which was more like a pre-made microwaved egg patty with some American cheese. I think they would have been better off with scrambled eggs perhaps. They did have an attendant there making sure everything was refilled, which was nice.

A few other things that were drawbacks, but minor. There was an end table that looked like a stack of suitcases. My husband thought they were drawers, but they were not. All he did was touch the top handle and it fell off. Apparently someone else thought they were drawers as well.

The metal part that covers the hole in the wall around the shower head was broken and on the shower head itself. I would imagine this would be a quick fix, but just made it look slightly run down. Although, the rest of the room really was rather nice.

My husband went to go use the hot tub/pool and apparently there is no supervision of any kind there, which I guess is normal. He walked in on two people "going at it" in the hot tub. The woman was startled and yelped when he walked in. So needless to say, he did not stay in there. Then, later when he went back to try again it was filled with kids. I think he was a disappointed in that.

Check out is at 12 noon. The day we were checking out, someone knocked on the door at 11am. They knocked and announced maintenance twice. My husband was taking a nap, and was woken up by it. He went to answer, and by the time he got there the person had left. He was a little miffed that he didn't get to finish his nap. I'm not sure why maintenance came to our room in the first place, but then didn't stay for us to answer the door. Whatever the issue was, I wonder why it couldn't have been dealt with an hour later -- after we checked out.

Positives: Check out is at 12 noon, which allowed us to sleep in and relax a little bit more than other hotels.

The room and hotel in general were clean and pretty modern looking. It seems like a great place for families, couples, or even solo trips. I like having real cups/plates/utensils to on vacation. Since most of the time you're scrounging for paper plates and plastic utensils if getting food to go. A nice little addition is that by the sink they folded the hand towels into a little duck. It definitely made me smile when I walked in and saw that.

The staff was very nice and helpful. One of the guys came by our room to help my husband set up the Xbox on the TV because he couldn't get the sound to work. During the time my husband was waiting to check in he said the staff were very nice and friendly. It was very considerate of them to give him some free snacks/soda while waiting.

Overall, I would certainly consider staying at this hotel again. I think the experience wasn't as negative as it could have been -- particularly if we paid full price. I do feel that is the one drawback in general; the hotel is pretty expensive in my opinion. Granted, the hotel rooms are basically the size of 2 or even 3 rooms at a conventional hotel... I'm not sure I would be willing to pay the price difference.

The issues we had could easily have been more of an off-day for them. If we stay there in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if they easily move up to the 5 star rating rather than the 3 star I'm giving them for this experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bitofrits
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Everything was fine at the Homewood Suites....wi-fi in the fitness room was a nice surprise. We stayed for three nights and the beds are comfortable and the breakfast a convenience as well. Ithaca Bakery in nearby strip mall was excellent, Cornell less than 15 minutes away, wineries about an hour, airport just minutes, so very convenient. There were some very well behaved dogs around which was a nice change, no problems with barking, we didn't know they were there except when we saw them coming and going. Parking was free and plentiful as well.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We held a company off site here and everything was just as we hoped. The food was good - not fancy, but certaily adequate. The rooms were very nice and very large. The pillows are notable for both the quantity and selection on the bed - and, there were two more in the closet. The hotel staff were above average for this type of hotel (e.g. this is not a 5 star hotel).
Everything was clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: You are close to the highway. Ask for a room that faces away from the highway - futher down the long...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
whgecomm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Consultantgal:
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our hotel. I am happy to learn you were satisfied with our accomodations and services we offer. More importantly, I am pleased to read you thought so highly of our Team of Associates, as they are the ones that make our hotel! I will be sure to share your comments with our entire Staff.

If you are ever back in the area on business or pleasure, I hope you will come back and visit!

Alisha Case
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A pleasant hotel, with nice staff at the breakfast area. The room was clean. I didn't realize that our room (suite 100) faced an off-ramp from the highway. The noise wasn't apparent until we settled in for the night and by then our stuff was all unpacked and it was too late to contemplate moving. All night long you hear the noise of every truck that gears down and brakes as they drive by. My complaint at checkout was met with a shrug from the front desk who even completed my sentence as I started to describe the noise... "from the highway...?" Disappointing that they would put people in those rooms at all knowing they are unusable. Worse that they wouldn't offer to discount my stay or offer any compensation.
On a positive note, the kids loved the breakfast of waffles etc.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms as far away from the front entrance as possible. (the front entrance faces an offra...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family