“Perfect location, spotless rooms and enthusiastic staff”

The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I attend an annual conference in Ithaca and I always look forward to my stay at The Statler. The location is perfect for it is centrally located on the Cornell campus, just a few minutes walk to the Campus Store and Clock Tower. It is a bit pricy for Ithaca, but I take the free hotel shuttle from the airport and do not need to rent a car. I also splurge and upgrade my room to obtain a beautiful view of the Campus with Cayuga Lake in the background. Make sure you ask for a high floor. My room was spotless and the linen was lovely. The students who work at the restaurant, front desk and as bell hops are so peppy and helpful. I also enjoyed a delicious dinner at the restaurant this year. I believe the hotel rooms will be refurbished by next year and I look forward to reporting back on the improvements. If you are visiting Cornell, the Statler is the only place to stay in my opinion. Location, location, location!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Carrboro-Haverford

Reviewed October 2, 2009

I've stayed at numerous hotels in Ithaca and at the Statler a few times. The location is impossible to beat. The hotel is located in the middle of campus and is staffed primarily by students. It may be a little dated, but the beds were very comfortable, the rooms were immaculate and the service was wonderful. The students seemed to take special pride in their service and it was greatly appreciated. The cost was a little above what it would have been to stay at one of the downtown hotels, but it's fun to walk the campus at night and go into collegetown for meals, and it would be impossible to do that staying elsewhere. There is such a special feeling from being on campus and looking out at the lake while listening to the clock tower chime. We ate breakfast at the hotel and it was good. We also attended a banquet and the food was great. Overall, the convenience and ambiance of the Statler outweighs the extra cost.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Staff was very pleasant. Location perfect for visiting Cornell.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We visited Cornell with our teenage son, and stayed in a Tower Suite with a double room across the hall for our son.

The suite was actually not a full suite as the separation between the bedroom and the living room is accomplished by glass-panelled French doors vs. a wall with a proper door. All the furnishings in both rooms looked very tired and faded. The sofa and armchair are covered with a durable (not soft and comfortable) fabric. The carpet is of the hard-underfoot variety. The noisy minibar fridge was empty. The TV in the living room is an ancient CRT box. The internet is not wireless. There is no separate shower in the bathroom. The dead lightbulb between the mirrors in the bathroom was not replaced during our 3-night stay.

The double room had similar (faded) furnishings, no refrigerator and a small bathroom with no separate shower.

Overall, eveything was reminiscent of a cheap motel. Which might not have been so bad were it not that the suite was $548.05 per night and the double room $242.95 -- in Ithaca! Maybe my review would be less harsh if we had been paying no more than half this price, but as it is, it really is a total rip-off.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Westonian
TheStatlerHotel, General Manager at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2009

Dear Westonian-

I would like to first thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know of your concerns with the hotel during your stay with us in August. It appears that many of your issues were with the furnishings and fixtures of the hotel, and I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations.

However, the hotel is currently scheduled to undergo a complete room renovation beginning in November 2009 and completed in February 2010. It will include all new custom furnishings and fixtures in the guestrooms, upgraded bedding, LCD televisions, new draperies, plush carpet and the installation of wireless internet.

As part of Cornell's School of Hotel Administration, it is our goal to provide the utmost in service and amenities, and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I hope that you will consider staying with us again after our renovation to experience the new era of the Statler Hotel.

If I can ever be of assistance, I encourage you to contact me personally.

In service,

Richard Adie
The Statler Hotel

Reviewed July 22, 2009

They did not get the memo about super beds and showers, but it is clean beyond measure and the students provide well-intended service. Nice place, but the infrastructure needs a capital infusion to keep pace.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Stayed here for business the first week of June and enjoyed my stay. The staff are mostly young, students at cornell, but they are pretty good. I found the rooms to be very comfortable, clean, modern, and spacious. There was everything I needed there. The location is on the campus, close enough walk to college plaza or whatever for food and nightlife. The bookstore is around the corner and the dairy is up the street. I did not eat the breakfast buffet or any other food there as I was fed by my conference. The breakfast food was from the restaurant though, but was just small quiches, decent bagels, and fresh fruit. The bar in the lobby was pretty good in my opinion. Very reasonable pints at all hours, flat screens for sports, comfy tables and chairs, and food. Not too bad. I can't comment on the value as I didn't pay, but I think it might be a bit on the expensive side. It was very nice though and easily comparable to a nice Marriott, Westin, or Hyatt.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2009

On a college odyssey with my 16 year old daughter, we stayed at the Statler. Room was outdated with big TV in armoire, small bathroom with hot water that took a while to arrive, small twin beds. Looked for the inroom fridge or minibar, and it did not exist - just a space in the cabinet where it was supposed to be. Beautiful view of campus and friendly, helpful staff, but overpriced at $189 per room and I hate to think what they get at peak campus event time! By way of comparison, Hilton Garden Inn in Portland, where we stayed when visiting Maine schools earlier in the week, had far superior room, if not as helpful service.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family