“Wonderful hotel”

The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at the Statler in September for 5 nights, and had a wonderful time. Comfortable, wonderful hotel, and we loved being on the Cornell campus. The students were fantastic, always asking to help us. Be sure to eat at the Taverna, and don't miss the Plantations and the Ornithology Lab on Cornell's campus.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were looking for a nice hotel in Ithaca, and we sure found it. It is not cheap, but the luxury of the place, the stylish room and the friendly, helpful staff make it a worthwile stay! The experience to stay directly on the campus is unique. From our window we overlooked the campus with its famous bell-tower, had a view of the lake and enjoyed the most romantic sunset. The only thing may be is the fee of $12/night for the car park, which I found a bit penny-pinching concerning the room-rate of $265.- +tax

Room Tip: Rooms facing west - overlooking the campus are recommendable
1  Thank Calist65
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were visiting the campus for my son's college tour and enjoyed seeing so many students from The Hotel School working at the hotel. The young woman who checked me in gave me some great background on the campus golf course when she heard we were also interested in golf.

Our admissions session was in Statler Hall so we were able to get there without going outside which was nice.

Not that it matters, but I accidentally left my headphones on the bike in the workout room and they were surprisingly still there when I went back the next morning.

Food at the main buffet was good. Couldn't believe that the maple syrup was from trees on the Cornell campus!

I would recommend this for anyone with an activity on campus. Despite the higher cost, the convenience is worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We ( My daughter wife and I ) when to drop our son Abhiroop where he was starting as a Freshman. We thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of Statler. The service was oh so prompt.The food was superb. As such I am unable to point out any fault..

Room Tip: All rooms are good I presume. For a family of 3 or 4 it is a good idea to book a room with two beds...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I’m conflicted by my two-night stay at the Statler.

Firstly, the service is wonderful. Very attentive and everyone onsite seems genuinely interested in serving the guests. I really can NOT fault the service at all.

The location was perfect for us, as we were attending an event at Cornell so everything was in walking distance.

I just have one issue --- it was so expensive! My room was certainly adequate, but not luxurious. I haven’t stayed in other hotels close-by, so maybe this is just the going rate in Ithaca, but at USD$240 per night I was expecting my room to feel a little more grand.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank manasicaje
Reviewed September 8, 2013

A very impressive hotel by any standard, but considering it is largely staffed by the Hotel students, it is doubly pleasing and professional. Our room was impeccable and very thoughtfully designed. Buffet breakfast was excellent. The students are friendly to a fault, extremely helpful, and clearly excited about their work. Price is not inexpensive for the area, but it compares very favorably to higher priced hotels in metropolitan areas. What sets the Statler apart from other high end hotels is its educational mission and true friendliness. A very comfortable and informal atmosphere within a luxury setting--how refreshing. The views are incomparable and the attractions on campus, both natural wonders and cultural offerings, are minutes from the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was directly across from the elevators, but we heard no noise whatsoever!
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is such a nice hotel. The service is beyond excellent - it is special. Of course, who could not be charmed by the students who work there! We have stayed at the hotel when it was completely full and also when it was quite empty. No difference in the service. It can fill up in a hurry some time so make your reservation early, don't hesitate. It is right on the beautiful Cornell campus. If you are there to see Cornell, there is no better option.

One of our rooms had an incline in the floor, which was noticeable in the bathroom. You can read about the structural issues in the historic book. It did not bother us, I only bring it up in case it bothers you. I think it is a nice size hotel. It is small enough to have a boutique feel and large enough to have all the amenities of a larger hotel.

We were upgraded to a view room when the hotel was empty. It is quite a stunning view although it may not be worth an extra 45 a night. We also stayed in a one bedroom suite during another visit. It was also very nice.

I thought the bathrooms were a little small and did not contain a separate vanity.
The first time we stayed at the hotel, it was full and we were put on a waiting list. This is the first time where a hotel waiting list actually worked. Reservations supervisors kept us informed of the capacity of the hotel and contacted us immediately when rooms became available. Perhaps the most impressive reservations assistance I can remember at a hotel.

Pros: Very nice luxury hotel on the same par as a nicer Westin. Excellent service.

Cons: I think it is very pricey.

Also a note: Since most of the staff are students, don't ask them for info on restaurants etc. They have a very different idea about what is good in a restaurant and attraction. ;-)

Room Tip: The view rooms are stunning however it is a personal decision whether it is worth the additional cos...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family