“Excellent Stay for Business” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Stay for Business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed here while attending a business meeting. It must have been during a break for the students as the campus was not overwhelmed by people. This made it nice to walk around the campus and admire the architecture.
The Statler Hotel was a very nice stay. The service was outstanding. All employees were courteous and friendly. The rooms were immaculate which was refreshing.
I had some issues with allergies to the down comforter and pillows. The Housekeeping staff were very quick to rectify the issue by replacing the bedding with hypo-allergenic pillows and blankets.
Upon reading the Statler information books located in the rooms, it was noted that the front desk staff would mail any basic letters, etc for the guest. I asked them to mail out post cards on 2 different occassions with 2 different front desk empolyees and they both seemed confused by my request. However, each one did in fact mail out the post cards without any issue other than the original look of confusion.
As far as an upscale hotel, The Statler does meet the expectations. The valet and bell hops were wonderfully helpful and respectful. They were mindful of my needs and requests and accepted my requests without issue.
Overall, it was a very pleasant stay. I was surprised that there wasn't a pool for a hotel that is upscale.
The restaurants were quite nice and very accessible to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Stockton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The facility is impeccable, located center-campus and convenient if you are at Cornell for events or visiting your student. The Statler proudly stands with valet service and a warm welcome, and up to date modern rooms. It is very desirable if you want to be in the heart of the Cornell campus and dont mind spending for that privilege. It is a huge hassle if you stay in one of the other hotels around Ithaca and then have to drive, get a parking pass, then park not too near your destination, and then walk and walk, I mean hike and hike to everything everywhere. There are hills involved and in the winter rain and snow. So the trade off is largely staying right in the center of campus and having a much easier time for the extra cost. You are required to valet your car, and when we stayed, they had a student who could not operate a stick-shift manual transmission serving as valet- 25 minutes later we were still waiting, we could have walked the 1 1/2 blocks and gotten our car ourselves in 5 minutes. They couldn't find another available student to bring the car to us, eventually it was resolved. Front desk staff was equally overzealous trying hard, but not deep in quality, they meant well, but students (and others) still do things like text every spare minute they have, even if they are in a public job and people are waiting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Stocktonwanderer
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Stocktonwanderer,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel's location quite convenient and the facility to be impeccable. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our service team that delivered a warm welcome to your party upon your arrival at the hotel.

I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies in service that you experienced with our valet service. On every shift, we do try to schedule a student who is able to drive a manual car. However, each year there are fewer students with this skill. Although we prefer to provide valet service, and there is no excuse for the wait you experienced, please know that our guests are not required to valet their cars. Self- parking is an available option.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the inappropriate use of cell phones by our employees. Our policies strictly forbid the use of cell phones in public areas by staff members. Your feedback will be shared with our staff and will help to remind all of us that YOU, our guest, should be the focus of our attention.

Be assured that your comments will help us to improve our service and to be more aware of the important details that truly make a difference to our guests. We hope to have the pleasure of being your “home away from home” the next time you are in Ithaca.

Best regards,

Rebecca Rypkema
Director of Rooms
Bloomfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here while visiting campus two weeks ago and were very pleased with our choice. Students are involved with all aspects and do a fantastic job. The service was excellent and the room very vice. Everything was spotless. Look forward to staying again if my daughter goes to Cornell.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Moran, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was a student at the hotel school and returned for recruiting this year. IN the 15 years since I graduated they have done a nice job keeping the hotel up. I was particularly happy to see that the Regent Lounge was remodeled this year. The rooms are small but nicely appointed. If your are attending an event on campus this is the best location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Alex,

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your recent stay in your review of The Statler Hotel. It is always rewarding to welcome back and receive feedback from Cornell Hotel School alumni! I am thrilled to hear that you approve of the newly remodeled Regent Lounge which is the latest project we recently completed this summer. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our guest rooms that were renovated only a couple of years ago as well! We appreciate your kind and critical feedback of the hotel and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Rebecca Rypkema
Director of Rooms
The Statler Hotel
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I hadn't planned on staying at such an expensive hotel when I found myself looking for a room to attend a nearby sporting event, but ended up being so happy I did. I booked the Statler only after every other hotel seemed booked. I was hesitant because I knew I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the hotel during this trip. However, from the moment we pulled up to the moment we pulled away from the lobby, I was happy to be there. The staff, made up of Cornell students, was terrific! The rooms were very clean and super comfortable, especially the beds. All the staff was spot on! Drinks at the lobby bar were terrific and dinner was truly wonderful. All this being said, it's expensive. But,I highly recommend this hotel if you can afford it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank havesuitcase153
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Statler feels very much a part of the campus. It is situated in the heart of the school buildings, so if a central location is important, than this is the hotel for you. The staff is very helpful and pleasant!Youthful enthusiasm abounds! The room was excellent with a great view of the valley and the lake in the foreground. (I booked a King view) The room decor was up to date and spacious. I stayed for 2 days only eating breakfast. I found the menu dining much better than the buffet, which wasn't great.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade with a view or pay the extra money and book in advance.