“Comfortable luxury in the middle of everything”

The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Chalfont, PA
“Comfortable luxury in the middle of everything”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

If you are visiting Cornell you can't ask for a better location. It is literally in the middle of campus. Ask for a lakeview room, it costs a little more but if you can swing it the views are spectacular. Many staff are hospitality school students and are very eager to please. Rooms are modern and clean with very comfy beds. Fluffy robes and Aveda bath products. Nice large flat screen TVs. Could use its own coffee shop for when you don't want a sit down breakfast. You can get coffee at Mac's Place, which is the Statler School's student cafe. And its good local Gimmee brand coffee with lots of options for a quick breakfast. But you have to go through the back of the hotel to get there. It didn't bother me at all, but might go not be for everyone. Front desk staff was exceptional, ready with local advice and directions at all hours. There was one odd incident in Taverna restaurant when we did have a sit-down breakfast that might be instructional moment. I ordered very good blueberry pancakes and my wife got the $17 buffet. OK so far. They had homemade granola on the buffet so I asked my wife to get me a taste. She got me a small dish, about 5 mouthfuls. It showed up on our bill as a $4 side of granola. Seemed a little chippy. We paid without complaint, but it would have neen nice if our server had mentioned it to us or had just let it go. My daughter also got the buffet for half price because she's 10, which amounted to an $8.50 bowl of frosted flakes and a few strips of bacon. Still, it was just a minor blemish on a very nice two- day stay.

• Stayed October 2012
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Proscribe,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughtful comments on your recent stay with us at The Statler Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the exceptional views of your room, and the many room amenities such as the Aveda bath products you mentioned in your review.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding your breakfast in Taverna Banfi. We appreciate the opportunity to fix potential inconsistencies in service throughout the hotel and I will personally follow up with the restaurant to ensure that staff are appropriately communicating and handling all aspects of your dining experience.

Again, thank you for your kind feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist on any future visit.

Kind Regards,

The Statler Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at the Statler during the Cornell Hospitality Research Summit and, as usual, had a great experience. I took the red-eye and the student working the front-desk was able to expedite the cleaning of my room so I could get some much needed sleep. The beds there are dreamy and the hotel is perfectly located if you're doing business on campus. I'm sure I will be back!

Room Tip: The 01 rooms are nice, quiet corner rooms with windows on 2 sides.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Miwohl,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your continued loyalty to The Statler Hotel. We hope you enjoyed the Cornell Hospitality Research Summit and are glad to hear you had a quick arrival and particularly enjoyed our centralized location on campus. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back to The Statler Hotel for future events and visits on campus.

Warm Regards,

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It could be my holistic perception of the Cornell Hospitality Research Summit having a halo effect on the Statler as the venue, but I like the hotel, its personnel and especially the food, not much variety but tasty food.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms above the terrace for better view on the back!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel, part of the School of Hotel Administration, at Cornell University has very high quality rooms, beds, internet and one of the best restaurants in the area. If you stay on the west side of the hotel, the views are incredible over the school and Lake Cayuga. What really sets this hotel apart however is the quality of the service. Truly exceptional.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Probably one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The beds are comfortable! The staff is very accomodating and the location is perfect for all areas of campus. If you must go to Ithaca, this is where you want to stay!!

Room Tip: I was facing the entrance and in the mornings, the sun came up and lit up the room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ryan D
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was visiting a buddy who attended Cornell's hotel college, and was excited at the fact that I would be staying at a student run hotel. Cornell consistantly ranks as a top hospitality management school so my expectations were a bit higher. Upon checkin in, it felt like any other hotel, service was ehh, decor was ehh. I was given a room on a low floor even though I asked them for a high floor and despite the fact I arrived promptly around check in time. It did seem like somewhat of a busy weekend so it didn't bother me too much. Upon entering the rooms I wasn't happy or mad. The rooms were okay as well. Nothing special stood out about this hotel. I was expecting excited students and friendly and fun service with a hotel with fun ambiance run by local college students but instead found a "cookie cutter" hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank dndme
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear dndme,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback with us. I have shared your remarks with our student staff to ensure that all of our guest interactions are engaging and friendly. As a teaching hotel, your feedback is an important component of the ongoing learning process. I apologize for not meeting your expectations during your most recent stay as our staff prides themselves on delivering world class service to each guest.

We strive to create an engaging atmosphere to promote student interactions with guests to further enhance their visit to Ithaca. Your experience is not representative of what we aim to provide our guests and I hope you will choose to stay with us again to experience the service you deserve.

Should you wish to speak further regarding the details of your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warmest Regards,

(607)-257-2500
redding ct
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel is not only immaculate, beautiful and well located, it is run by the students of the hotel management school at the prestigious Cornell University. We had a great time here. We were looking at the school for our son and we could not have asked for a better experience.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor for a great view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank carrie k
TheStatlerHotel, Director of Rooms at The Statler Hotel at Cornell University, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear carrie k,

Thank you for sharing your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to have made your campus visit even more special and to hear that you could not have had a better experience during your time with us in Ithaca. We hope to welcome you back to campus in the future!
Kind Regards,