“A nice Suprise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“A nice Suprise”
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Okay so I do agree that the hotel rooms do feel a bit dated, but it was explained to me by the Front Desk that the entire hotel is getting a remodel over the next two years. So even though the rooms are a bit dated I have to tell you, the service provided by the staff made up for it in every way. They watched for every detail and went out of their way to show me that they wanted to take care of me. I really like this place, I will be back!

• Liked — Location, friendly attentive staff.
  • Disliked — A bit tired decore
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveltheworldfun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento Valley
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I spent five nights at Statler hotel on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. I attended a week long Cornell Industrial & Labor Relations/CAHRS Executive HR Strategy program.

My trip began with a Sacramento International flight
into Jackson Hartfield Atlanta airport. My lay over was around 4 hours, so I left the airport and took the MARTA train to downtown Atlanta. Returned to the airport and flew to Syracuse, New York. At Hancock International I rented a car and drove down to Ithaca, New York. Once you leave the interstate, you take country roads to Ithaca and I must admit I took a wrong turn and got lost but staying on 13. It was about hour and half drive from Syracuse to Ithaca. The weather during my stay was unusually moderate and dry. At the end of the week it rained a bit.

This property is located right on campus, and right next to the Cornell Hotel school and Cornell ILR school. The Hotel is staffed by both regular employees and student employees whose name tags show their expected graduation date.

My bell person was a transfer student into the Hotel program and wanted the front desk training so she first has to start with the valet service and carrying bags up to guests rooms. She gave me a tour of my room which was on the fourth floor.

My front desk person was helpful and friendly and his plan was to work for consulting firm that consults to the Hotel industry.

My room was small to medium size. The room was clean.
Small bathroom. Reminded me of New York city room. Furnishing were a bit old and dated. This suprised me since this is the training hotel and flagship of Cornell's Hotel program.
Bathroom is small and featured Judith Jackson products.

My room was quiet and my bed was comfortable. My room was cleaned well everyday. There are two bottles of Cornell Logo water delivered each day.

There is a small but good gym on the first floor which I used several times. No many folks in there at 0630.

My fellow workshop attendees all had good things to stay about their stay at Statler Hotel.

I think most of the student workers were trying their best but I think they could learn some things from practioners at some of the better service Manhattan and Los Angeles properties (I.e. Affinia Dumont, Residence Inn, and Residence Inn Beverly Hills and Newport Beach Marriott). These are middle of market places.

The onsite restaurant is the Banfi. I ate one dinner there which was good but pricy and several of my workshop meals there which were okay.

The campus is a bit tight for real estate, so there is daily cost for valet parking.

It is close walk to college town and local shops and restaurants there. You can also walk down to the Ithaca Commons but might want to take taxi back up to the Statler.

Souvenirs: T-Shirt Express in the commons has cheap Cornell Logo shirts. Bear Necessities in College town has the same logo stuff on campus but at cheaper prices.

Visited the Cornell Lab of Ornithology/Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary. Had one special event dinner at the Lab of Orinthology.

Drove to Ulysses and the Village of Trumansburg and visited Taughannock Falls State Park. Due to the drought, you could walk most of the riverbed. I recommend getting a local map because it is easy to get lost, with no particular sense or meaning behind their street's layouts.

Breakfast was included in my stay and the breakfast was okay, like many Hampton Inns.

During my week at Ithaca, I ate at the following places:

Moosewood - Veggie restaurant with tasty dishes
Mahogany Grill - Steaks - good
Banfi Restaurant (inside the Statler Hotel) pricy but good
Maxies Supper club - Nola - average
Plum Tree - Japanese - better than expected
Rogans Pizza - average

During my trip I first stayed at Homewood Suites in Ithaca which was a good place to stay and stayed at the Syracuse Sheraton University hotel before flying out of Syracuse the next day. This property I recommend if you need a place to stay and want to pay around $79.00.

The Statler was minutes away from the Cornell ILR Executive Conference center, so it was really convenient. We received a Cornell rate of $155.00 per night. The course I attended at Cornell featured many International guests and it was great fun to go to dinner with them after our daily classes. My classmates believed the class to be too seminar oriented and not enough theory and new ideas. But some of the facilitators were excellent!

I was happy with my stay at the Statler Hotel. If your looking for convenience to Cornell and want full service hotel than you can not go wrong with the Statler Hotel. I recommend this property if these are your requirements.

• Liked — Convenience, Comfortable Rooms, Gym, Free interent access, Student workers, Cornell Water, & Service
  • Disliked — Dated furnishings,
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank SeminarTrekker
Land O' Lakes, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The Statler is okay, with definite room for improvement. If it were a lower price point I probably wouldn't have any reason to be critical, but value for price paid s poor. I will lead with the good points:

Great location, convenient to Cornell Campus and Collgetown.
Clean rooms and facilities.
Friendly staff in general, mostly college students.
Cornell Hotel School Manages Property.
Nice bed linens.

Downside:
Small rooms.
Small, Older TV's with poor channel offerings & no PPV.
Poor Room Service Hours.
Moderate Room Service Selection.
Friendly staff are not neccisarily knowledgable.
Very small fitness facility.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank whitefirelight
San Francisco
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I stayed at the Statler Hotel while I was escorting my Mom last weekend to her 65th college reunion. I had previously stayed at the Statler 15 years ago and it has been remodeled and made bigger since that time.

It is right in the heart of the campus. The rooms are nothing special, but clean and comfortable. The one thing the rooms lacked however, was a refrigerator. However, the staff is outstanding. The hotel is run by the students who are attending the hotel management school. They couldn't have been friendlier and more knowledgeable.

There are several walking and running trails nearby. There is a nice fitness room with treadmills, Precor Stairsteppers, and two bikes. There are also dumbbells to 50 pounds.

The hotel also has two designated computers with complimentary high speed internet and both are hooked up to printers. There is no charge to print anything out. The rooms also have complimentary internet, but I unable to get anything but a low signal.

Valet parking is $8.00 with in/out privileges.

Most of our meals were included as part of the reunion. The food uniformly was excellent. Especially good was the coffee which the hotel serves. I learned from the staff that the name of the coffee was McCullagh. I subsequently contacted the company and ordered the coffee which was excellent.

Overall, a very good experience and the absolute best place to stay if visiting Cornell.

Cheers.

Marius

• Liked — The service.
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in room.
  • Stayed June 2007
5 Thank Marius40
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We spent 3 nights at the Statler, attending our son's wedding. There was nothing that we asked for that they did not have, stamps, umbrellas even a pencil we needed in the middle of the night ( we were working on a scrapbook for our new daughter-in law.) The staff was friendly and always ready to help. Our room was very clean and we were given lots of towels. The iron was of good quality and there were extra hangers that were very convenient. The reception was in the hotel and they accommodated dietary differences with wonderful food. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed June 18, 2006

the statler looks like your average chain hotel, but the service was great. and you certainly can't beat the location when visiting the cornell campus. rooms were very clean and well appointed. television had a lot of channels so that was nice. also liked the free water.
room service was very good as well and the service was fast and friendly. no complaints at all, it was a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. good job.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank pinkorigami
Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed May 12, 2006

With Cornell Hotel School students rotating through many staff positions, the service in this hotel is excellent. The attitude, friendliness, and attention to detail extends to the permanent staff as well. With the world's best hotel school attached to the building (no, I didn't attend Cornell or the hotel school), this is exactly what you'd expect.

If you look carefully, you can see that the hotel needs some physical upgrades. The doors were missing from my armoire, the beds are covered with dated floral bedspreads, the desk was cheap, desk chair was not of the current business hotel office chair style, etc. However, these minor issues are overcome by a clean hotel with great service in a great location.

Stayed May 2006