“Nice hotel in the heart of Ithaca”

Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Nice new hotel in the center of Ithaca.
-Good location
-Easy access to downtown restaurants & shopping
-Free parking at lot across the street
-Good choice when visiting friends or relatives at Ithaca College or Cornell University

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 8, 2010

We were in the area for a wedding and needed early check in. When I requeted early check in on the phone, I was told, "we cannot guarantee it". I said, "I am not asking for a guarantee just that you make a note or say you will try to accomodate us". I was told, no, check in is at 4pm on exceptions. I offered to pay for the privilege of early check in and was told, "no way". So I hung up and called back and got a different person who gave us the same message. We were told we could change our clothes for the wedding in the restroom. Unable to find an alternate hotel during the holiday weekend, we figured we'd take our chances. We arrived at the hotel at 11:15 and a room was available.as were many rooms available. The hotel itself was nice, well located with very comfortable beds. The breakfast buffett is something to be missed, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This was the first trip since my daughter was born and we chose Ithaca as it was the farthest we were willing to travel with a very young infant. On arrival, the front desk staff was very efficient and friendly and we were up in our room within a few short minutes. We were surprised when we were told that we'd be getting free breakfasts each night and bottles of water along with coupon for more bottles as Hilton Hhonors members.

The room was clean and well appointed, typical fridge, which was great to store milk and chill the white wine my wife bought during a quick stop at one of many wineries in the Finger Lakes area. Never used the microwave. The TV was a large LG flat screen and there were many, many channels to choose from, including HBO although that channel had syncing problems and wasn't available on the second day. Didn't bother me too much since I'm not on vacation to watch TV.

The beds were soft and the pillows were great, no complaints with the sleep quality. It seemed a bit short though as the bed slips underneath the headboard that's anchored to the wall so there's a a loss of 2 or 3 inches, I just moved the bed out from under the headboard, problem solved. The AC in my room was working great and it was on the quiet side unlike some hotels I've stayed in. Washroom was nice and up to standard. Hot water on demand and the shower had good pressure.

The hotel is pricey but it seems to be the par with hotels in Ithaca. Didn't mind as it's very central and a nice location; it saved our bacon a few times as our daughter had a diaper malfunction, hunger and sleep attacks as we explored Ithaca and we were able to get back to the hotel in short order to fix things up for her. The hotel is a block or two from the restaurants located in or around the Ithaca Commons and short drive to the Ithaca Bakery and Ithaca Beer Company where they have free tastings. For the kids or non-beer fans, it also brews root beer soda and ginger beer soda using cane sugar. Also discovered a Five Guys Burger joint about 5-10 minute drive from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
hgiithacagm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Glad you guys had a great time, we hope to see you again soon... We also offer pac and play's as well as cribs, so ofr other travelers out there with small children, feel free to call ahead and request on so that you're comfortable and don't have to travel with too much gear for the kids!

Reviewed July 23, 2010

We'd never had an extended stay in Ithaca before--just one or two nights passing through--so for a recent four night, bangup visit we decided to splurge and stay right in the heart of town. Since even the nondescript, suburban motels here are able to get away with high rates, the price difference seemed not all that significant, especially with free parking and free breakfast thrown into the deal. And for sure, this Hilton Garden Inn is way better than "nondescript".

We had a top floor room with spectacular view west over town and north to Cayuga Lake, almost as good as the famous view from Cornell's hilltop campus. Many luxury touches and creature comforts, too many to enumerate, staff friendly and efficient and attentive. It's nice to see a newer hotel with a real lobby area and guests here were making good use of it. We also made good use of the two computer terminals in the "business center" for checking our emails, etc.

Location couldn't be better. You're within a block of several of Ithaca's best restaurants--Just A Taste, Simeon's, Moosewood--and within only a few more easy walking blocks of more local-flavour spots like the State Street Diner or funky Ithaca Bakery. As some other Tripadvisors have noted, the adjacent "Ithaca Commons" is a somewhat disappointing bit of misguided "Urban Renewal" but much of the rest of Ithaca's downtown area makes for interesting walking, particularly the quiet residential areas strung out along Cascadilla Creek up to Cayuga Lake. For a more energetic walk, not to be missed, you can head UP Cascadilla Creek to the Cornell campus: the pathway at the foot of the gorge has been closed temporarily but the route along the top of the gorge is equally interesting and if you have a car, don't miss more outlying areas such as Forest Home, Cayuga Heights or Collegetown. On campus, the splendid Johnson Museum of Art is always worth a visit, as are the various sections of the "Plantations", though a lot of construction and redevelopment is taking place at both.

We didn't try the restaurant ("Kilpatrick's" gets mixed reviews here on Tripadvisor) but were pleasantly surprised to find that breakfast was complementary. It is served in a reasonably sized room and for a pleasant change, there were no giant TV screens blaring away in one's face. I see that one Trip Advisor complains that the breakfast was no better than that at, say, an "Embassy Suites" but that reviewer must have hit an off day: we had excellent breakfasts, with a real chef behind the buffet counter, making custom omelettes--even a daily special three days running of freshly-made smoked salmon eggs benedict, a nice treat. The friendly attendant circulated constantly with fresh coffee and on request, dispensed a great deal of good local travel advice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is great to have real life experiences on here for other travelers to read. Ithaca as a whole can be very pricey, and I as you do, believe that it is well worth the extra $10-$25 to be right in dowwntown to be in such close proximity to everything. We also offer complimentary shuttle service to both Ithaca College as well as Cornell in case our guests don't have a car with them. I am glad to hear you had a good time, and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

I needed to pick up my child from a Cornell summer program and had a bunch of luggage because this stay was part of a longer trip. The check-in time for the hotel is posted as 4 p.m. and though I arrived at around 2, there was no problem: my room was ready. The front desk clerk was competent and not rude but not particularly helpful, either (she seemed distracted); there was no one at the valet station, and I had to ask her about getting help with my luggage and parking. She seemed a bit annoyed about it and turned to a young man behind the front desk and asked him if he would help me. That part was odd; they both acted as if a guest's request for help in unloading her car and bringing her luggage to her room was unusual, but the young man did in fact carry up my luggage and showed me how to use the elevator security system. Although valet parking is advertised, it wasn't offered. There was no problem parking myself, however, at the municipal garage around the corner with which the hotel has an arrangement. Since East Seneca is one way, though, and inasmuch as I had parked right in front of the hotel, on a small cobblestone strip, to unload, I had to re-enter traffic and drive around the block (three right turns) to get to the garage. By foot, though, the garage is just across Tioga street and a few doors down from the side entrance of the hotel. Security is good: I needed to insert my key card in the elevator in order to get it to ascend to my floor (a smart idea--I don't think I've seen that even in NYC or D.C. hotels). Room climate control was not great: the afternoon was hot and it took a while for the a/c system to cool the room down (in fact there didn't seem to be any air coming out of the vent) but fortunately the evening was cool. Location is excellent: the hotel is across the street from Ithaca Commons (a treat in late afternoon, like stepping back into the 60s, with a genuine sweetness to it--check out the excellent fiddler, a cool, tall skinny guy with rectangular glasses who plays violin in the center of the Commons, who had me smiling for days afterwards), and a walk up East Buffalo got me to the Cornell campus gates in about 15 minutes. My room looked out towards Elmira, a view that was nothing special in the daytime but pretty at night. Though my room was near the elevator and it seemed like the hotel was full from what I could tell from the lobby, inside the room it was very peaceful and quiet, and sleeping was no problem. The room was moderately but not perfectly clean (I dropped an earring which rolled under the bed and I needed a flashlight to find it, so I did have occasion to notice that the bottom edge of one bedspread was dirty, and it looked like no one had thoroughly vacuumed under one at least one of the beds in a while). The room had a nice, new-looking refrigerator, microwave, and great little coffee machine with caffeinated, decaf, tea, sugar, no-calorie sweetener, and non-dairy creamers. Shower was clean and nice and hot. I had to leave very early in the morning, and check-out was "express"; I did it over the phone, and the morning clerk was polite and friendly. No problem getting my luggage back into the car (I'd done it gradually over the course of the evening and early in the morning) and getting up to Cornell by car from the hotel was a breeze.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank vacances4

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel, it is greatly appreciated. I am glad that your overall experience was good, however I am dissapointed to hear about your issue checking in and the help with your luggage. While many of our guests are self sufficent, and often do not need help, we have many guests who do. There is no reason why someone should be suprised by this at the front desk. I am assuming that there was something else going on during your check in that was perhaps distracting them. Please know that I will pass along these comments to our Front office manager as well as the staff themselves, as it is important for them to realize that their behavior and body language is noticed by our guests. I will also pass along your comments regarding your "under bed experience" to our housekeeping manager, as that issue, to me at least, is completely unaccepatable and important for them to know. Thank you again, and please do not hesitate to let me know if you care to discuss your issues in greater detail.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

I usually prefer quirky little inns and B&Bs to chain hotels, but I must admit this was very nice. The room and bathroom were a good size and everything was very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. I was a little nervous because we seemed to be sharing a hallway with a group of teens on a tour, but after about 10:00 p.m. we did not hear a peep from them, so kudos to their chaperones! We had no wait to check-in, parking was free in a garage across the street, and the hotel staff were all very pleasant and polite. Breakfast in the hotel was inexpensive and convenient. The hotel is right in the middle of "downtown" Ithaca, next to the famous Moosewood Restaurant, and made a good base for visiting colleges and exploring the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Conveniently located with an excellent staff, the HGI Ithaca is a typical Hilton Garden.

We loved the ability to walk to the Ithaca Commons for the many restaurants in the area (not much real shopping there to speak of unless you are in the market for a bong). Parking was easy and the free shuttle to/from Cornell U was greatly appreciated.

Staff was friendly, real and very helpful. We appreciated the upgrade to a suite although we would have preferred one that was not ADA accessible as the shower is small and floods the bathroom. We were told that most of the suites are that way. No noise was heard from adjoining rooms....always a plus when evaluating a hotel.

Our sheets were not changed as requested during the morning clean but a call to housekeeping had that corrected within minutes. The complimentary breakfast was very much appreciated and the options were plentiful but the quality of the offering was lacking. Breakfast was more similar in caliber to....let's say...an Embassy Suites as opposed to a Hilton Hotel. The Starbucks in the building and Collegetown Bagels are nearby to supplement. Happy Hour at Kilpatricks was just that.

For the right rate, this is a worthy location to visit CU.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family